Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Dash Crack - I'm so bummed!, Is there anything I can do?
ThinAir
post Apr 22 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #1

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

When I bought my 73 three years ago one of the selling points was that there were no cracks in the dashboard. I've taken good care of it - it's cool here in Flagstaff - and I regularly use windshield sun-screens, but despite this I noticed this week that I've gotten a crack in the dashboard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Is there anything I can squeeze into it to make it cosmetically better and maybe even keep it from getting larger or longer? I thought of using some black RTV, but I don't know of anything else that would be a candidate and I don't know whether it would really work at all.

Any ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 22 2006, 04:41 AM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

33 year old dashes dont last forever.

Mine has one crack rearing its head... but its such a nice dash!!

Nothing you can do about it AFAIK
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Apr 22 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

Here in the Tampa Bay area there's a company called Vinyl Doctor that supposedly can fix minor vinyl cracks. I haven't had one done, yet, but you might try to find something similar in your area.

-- Rob
+Quote Post
Brew
post Apr 22 2006, 06:59 AM
Post #4

That's Captain Moron to you!

Member No.: 4,546

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) What Rob said! It's a franchise, so they're everywhere. I had them do the dash in my 67, and it came out great! Fairly cheap, too.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Apr 22 2006, 07:10 AM
Post #5

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

303 Protectant is good stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It will not fix the crack that has already started but it might help you from getting any more. I can't find in anywhere locally, so I get mine on eBay.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Apr 22 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #6

Best friends

Member No.: 231

Thanks guys! Vinyl Doctor turns out to be something associated with replacement windows for your house, but Dr. Vinyl (at http://www.drvinyl.com/index2.html) seems to be the one. They have a franchise in Scottsdale where my daughter lives so I think I'll have to make a trip to see my grandkids one of these days :-) and get my dash fixed at the same time!

Now if I can only get my wife to ride along in the 914 for that long...
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Apr 22 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #7

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771

John,

I think you can find it at West Marine on Lake Mead BLVD in Henderson. Give them a buzz and find out. The owner's name is Tony and is a damn nice guy.

QUOTE(Brew @ Apr 22 2006, 05:59 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) What Rob said! It's a franchise, so they're everywhere. I had them do the dash in my 67, and it came out great! Fairly cheap, too.

+Quote Post
Seagrave
post Apr 23 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #8

Gutenfest Touring Society

Member No.: 963

I looked at dash toppers when I first got my car...ordered one from Performance Products. I was disappointed in the effect and so I sent it back, bought a replacement dash top and put it in myself, without taking out the windshield. It was a stone bitch to do. In fact, I got so frustrated the first day that I had to stop and continue the next. I eventually got it though and, since then, I have a black dash mat that covers it most of the time (it looks like a fine texture floor mat that is custom fitted to match the instrument binnacle and the ashtray. I don't know what the availability of dash tops are any more (this was in about 1988) but it was not cheap then. I can only imagine that now the cost probably approaches that a full tank of gas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Unless the crack is very minor, I don't see how the repair will be invisible.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Apr 23 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #9

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Apr 22 2006, 11:20 AM) *

John,

I think you can find it at West Marine on Lake Mead BLVD in Henderson. Give them a buzz and find out. The owner's name is Tony and is a damn nice guy.

QUOTE(Brew @ Apr 22 2006, 05:59 AM) *

Camping World has it too. I think it's great, although I'm sure it works much better if you actually apply it as opposed to letting it sit in the bottle in the garage like I do.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 23 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #10

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Just buy a new dash. $600 every 30 years isn't too much of a price to pay.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:47 PM