Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 'Tall' 901 ... WOW !, ... what a difference
propricer
post Apr 23 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,938

After almost 20 years of driving ( including burn-outs, etc. ), my 914-V8 ( 327 ) with a bone stock 901, finally gave out.

Have a 77 ( short ) 930 with LSD that had been set aside as a replacement but, after careful consideration, I decided to try a ‘tall’ 901 … flipped ‘H’ into 5th, old 5th into 4th and old 4th into 3rd.

WOW … I am SO impressed, I had to share ...

Still have the off-the-line pump using the same old 2nd ( since it's fixed on the shaft ) and the ratios going up are very smooth and then I get into 5th where the tach runs around 2600 - 2800 on the highway. Makes highway driving a pleasure again !

If you have a conversion, the next time you have to go into the box, try this ‘tall’ conversion – you will NOT regret it.

BTW … the old box, it turns out, didn’t really fail … I use a 911 pull type 225mm clutch and the bolt holding the clutch fork backed out. Bottom line is I’m still very, very strong on the trusty old 901 and will state that even more strongly in my book, the 914-V8 Conversion Reference Manual.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:29 PM