Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EGR Tubing for California '76 Models... anyone interested, am building a set from stainless.... can make more
Brian Mifsud
post Apr 27 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #1

Mechanical Engineer

Group: Members
Member No.: 384
Region Association: None

I am making up a set of EGR lines for my California emissions regulated '76 2.0Attached Image.

Most cars I've seen have only remnants of the stock tubing which rots away quickly. I'm making up a set of stainless steel tubes which should last indefinitely. I realize most of the 914 club members are "performance oriented".. so the '76 is not well represented.. but there still may be a few of you out there who can benefit from new tubes.

I've had the tubes bent up for me and I'll be fabricating and welding the flanges in their final position.

These tubes shown are as follows:

Long Tube - leads from muffler to firewall (by transaxle, used on 1.8 & 2.0)
Short Tube - leads from EGR Valve (on 2.0 only) to air cleaner.

Let me know if there is any interest. Pricing will be linked to the number of parts built in a "batch". Right now all I have is the "prototype" cost.

Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CBCortez
post Aug 9 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,608

QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Apr 27 2006, 08:43 AM) *

I am making up a set of EGR lines for my California emissions regulated '76 2.0Attached Image.

Most cars I've seen have only remnants of the stock tubing which rots away quickly. I'm making up a set of stainless steel tubes which should last indefinitely. I realize most of the 914 club members are "performance oriented".. so the '76 is not well represented.. but there still may be a few of you out there who can benefit from new tubes.

I've had the tubes bent up for me and I'll be fabricating and welding the flanges in their final position.

These tubes shown are as follows:

Long Tube - leads from muffler to firewall (by transaxle, used on 1.8 & 2.0)
Short Tube - leads from EGR Valve (on 2.0 only) to air cleaner.

Let me know if there is any interest. Pricing will be linked to the number of parts built in a "batch". Right now all I have is the "prototype" cost.

Brian

Brian,

I am a new member since 8/7/2006 ans still feeling my way to respond to this posting.

I am definitely interested in ordering one for a 1976 2.0.

Please email me the cost plus shipping.

Hope to hear from you soon.

CBCortez
Cielito B. Cortez
Concord, Ca.
+Quote Post
type4org
post Aug 9 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #3

You need PLAID!

Member No.: 6,212

Please put me on the list, I am interested in at least the long tube from exhaust to the underside of the EGR valve. Mine has part of the section behind the muffler completely rusted away.
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Aug 22 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #4

Mechanical Engineer

According to the Porsche history books:

1976 914 Production 4000 cars
Cars sold in US 2000 cars
Cars sold in CA 1000 Cars

Cars still on road 30 years later in need of replacment EGR Tubes...

3 (including my car)

Here are the completed EGR tubes. They are stainless steel, I painted gray to look like stock. Since there isn't any evidence of a "volume run" in the near future, I'm going to post my price and cause lots of hysteria and knee slapping. I can't even justify buying a $200 tube bender, so I have to farm that out.....

The 2 tubes circled are the ones I was missing and so had to fab. The picture shows all the components which tie the muffler all the way to the air cleaner.

Long "L-shaped" tube - links muffler to hole in firewall; painted stainless steel $180
Short "Bent-S-Shaped" tube - links hole in firewall to EGR valve $100
Short "S-shaped" tube - EGR Valve to Air Cleaner; painted stainless steel $100

Sorry prices are so high, but as if I had enough interest even to build 10 sets, I could reduce that significantly.

I have measured CAD Drawings I can also provide if you want to build your own. Porsche's design of course, but I put in time to measure and draw; $10/set

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
type4org
post Aug 22 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #5

You need PLAID!

QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Aug 22 2006, 08:10 PM) *
Cars still on road 30 years later in need of replacment EGR Tubes...

3 (including my car)

This does sound kind of sad. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this and I am interested in a full set. Question: Can you provide (or point me to a source for) the gaskets sealing those flanges?

+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Aug 22 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #6

Mechanical Engineer

Hi Jens,

You are a die hard trooper! If you are patient and can give me a month, I can get you a better deal for all 3. A friend might come through with a more reasonably priced tubing bender.

As far as gasketing matierial goes, I like Mr. Gasket Co. MRG-5961: Gasket Material, Steel Core/Graphite, 24 in. Length, 6 in. Width, .063 in. Thickness. This is similar but better to OEM. Not Concours.. but will give you good sealing. You will need a sharp utility knife, wooden surface you don't mind slicing up, and patience. The holes take MORE patience since they are only 1/4" diameter. I've had good luck sandwiching the gasket between two clamped pieces of wood that I drill through for a clean hole. Do yourself a favor and mark the hole pattern on the wood, drill all three holes first, then unclamp and cut out the profile..

You can get a sheet on Amazon for $16.

Mr Gasket on Amazon

I'll update you if my lead time gets any better.
+Quote Post
type4org
post Aug 23 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #7

You need PLAID!

QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Aug 22 2006, 10:51 PM) *

If you are patient and can give me a month, I can get you a better deal for all 3. A friend might come through with a more reasonably priced tubing bender.

I can wait a little, currently traveling and back in town in about a month. Thanks for the gasket material link!

+Quote Post
CBCortez
post Aug 27 2006, 03:09 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,608

Brian,

Thanks for your email.

I am definitely interested in purchasing both tubes. You can count me in as one of your buyers.

I am out of the country will be back 9/24/06.

Please email me if you have any questions.

Many thanks.

Cielito
+Quote Post
type4org
post Oct 10 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #9

You need PLAID!

Brian, plans have changed so I can only purchase if I can get them until the end of the month. I'm moving back to Germany and am shipping the car on 10/30.
+Quote Post
mikerose
post Oct 12 2006, 08:27 AM
Post #10

Happy to be back

Member No.: 60

Long "L-shaped" tube - links muffler to hole in firewall; painted stainless steel $180

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shocked[1].gif)

Nice Work Brian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Oct 17 2006, 08:12 AM
Post #11

Mechanical Engineer

QUOTE(mikerose @ Oct 12 2006, 07:27 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shocked[1].gif)

Nice Work Brian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I'm a little late on getting the tooling built, but just to assure those interested, I AM proceeding. I will be yet another week delayed 'cause I need to spend next week at the boatyard working on "Spray" to take care of some grouchy garboard seams which need reefing, recorking, and caulking. Then she's craned onto the transport truck for her trip south to new home in San Diego Bay!! (hooray!!!)

To review, these pipes will be as closely as possible mimick the stock geometry, but I'm using 306 Stainless, so it will be the last set you will ever need to own, unlike the mild steel stock ones. The flanges will be TIG welded, not braised as were original. I CAN make up sets from mild steel with braised flanges if somebody wants a dead replica... let me know...

I finished machining the parts for my custom "tube bender" (to match stock bend radii), now I just need to weld them up and start cranking the parts.

Thanks to Mike Rose, I was able to acquire a "pristine" stock set to insure that I am copying the geometry correctly. My first ones pictured above were copied from a badly damaged and repeatedly repaired set from my old engine, so some of the curves aren't exact (but they DO fit!).
+Quote Post
Hoss
post Oct 18 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,465

QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Oct 17 2006, 07:12 AM) *

I'm a little late on getting the tooling built, but just to assure those interested, I AM proceeding. I will be yet another week delayed 'cause I need to spend next week at the boatyard working on "Spray" to take care of some grouchy garboard seams which need reefing, recorking, and caulking. Then she's craned onto the transport truck for her trip south to new home in San Diego Bay!! (hooray!!!)

To review, these pipes will be as closely as possible mimick the stock geometry, but I'm using 306 Stainless, so it will be the last set you will ever need to own, unlike the mild steel stock ones. The flanges will be TIG welded, not braised as were original. I CAN make up sets from mild steel with braised flanges if somebody wants a dead replica... let me know...

I finished machining the parts for my custom "tube bender" (to match stock bend radii), now I just need to weld them up and start cranking the parts.

Thanks to Mike Rose, I was able to acquire a "pristine" stock set to insure that I am copying the geometry correctly. My first ones pictured above were copied from a badly damaged and repeatedly repaired set from my old engine, so some of the curves aren't exact (but they DO fit!).

Brian,

Thanks for your continual efforts on the '76ers with the smog gear. Is the $380 price for all the finished SS tubing current? I would love help defray the costs by piling on with a group buy since I also have a CA '76 with smog equipment.

I look forward to your updates in this thread and learning of your progress.

Cheers.
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Oct 18 2006, 07:44 AM
Post #13

Mechanical Engineer

QUOTE(Hoss @ Oct 17 2006, 11:11 PM) *

Brian,

Thanks for your continual efforts on the '76ers with the smog gear. Is the $380 price for all the finished SS tubing current? I would love help defray the costs by piling on with a group buy since I also have a CA '76 with smog equipment.

I look forward to your updates in this thread and learning of your progress.

Cheers.

Hoss,

Since I decided to build my own tooling rather than buy, my materials costs have of course dropped quite a bit, but the down side is it eats up more precious "free time". Once I get my jigs set up, I will review my time and materials again and see what I can do about adjusting the selling price. Pricing does NOT include the EGR valve, the Aluminum Valve body, nor the sheetmetal EGR Mount Bracket.
It's just the 3 tubes as described above.

Thanks

P.S. If anyone can think of other smog related equipment needed, let me know. I'm thinking of another frequently failed part, which is the rubber vibration-isolator used on the "power take off" pulley used to drive the air pump. Those parts need to be re-vulcanized, and are NLA. Rubber ages regardless if it's used or not, so even NOS is "bad" now so many years after it was built..
+Quote Post
Hoss
post Oct 18 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,465

QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Oct 18 2006, 06:44 AM) *

...Once I get my jigs set up, I will review my time and materials again and see what I can do about adjusting the selling price. Pricing does NOT include the EGR valve, the Aluminum Valve body, nor the sheetmetal EGR Mount Bracket.
It's just the 3 tubes as described above.

I appreciate the update and clarification. At some point I would like to meet up with you in person to check out your car and share notes on the FI with smog legal gear. You are doing a yeoman's job of keeping the originality and I tip my hat to you for it.

Thanks!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 11:20 AM