Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Tool Kit info, Correct for a 1973-1974 914-4 cyl. kit
Lou W
post May 2 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #21

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 30 2006, 07:08 PM) *

Tom the 74 kit did not have the bag with the tie, only the thin black plastic polyethylene bag.

I find it odd but my 74 car has that hubcap puller tool too, but in 74 none of the 914s came with hubcaps, they were either alloys or the cross-style steel rims.

I found the hubcap puller in my kit too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post May 3 2006, 06:37 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 731

QUOTE(BS Chairman @ May 2 2006, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(sixerdon @ May 2 2006, 05:27 AM) *

I've got the plastic bag for my '75.

Tom, what is the make up of the "6" tool kit showing the spare fuses? It looks like a vacuum pack kit in the picture. The ones I've see were loose in a small clear plastic bag. Can you confirm?
Thanks,
Don

Don,
Thats my tool kit (6) and yes they are vacuum pack fuses only because thats what I had to put in it and make it complete. I have'nt seen a factoy kit so I did my best from pics! Close to factory as to take 2nd at parade 2005.
Gary BS Chairman

Thanks Gary,
The original fuse pack is very elusive. I have 3 "six" tool kits complete sans the fuse pack. Do you know if the 911 of that era had the fuse pack?
Don
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 3 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #23

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(tod914 @ May 2 2006, 05:54 PM) *

Very Impressive car ..... but is that a bosch blue coil i see in the engine bay with a cadium plated holder instead of black? -.5 of a point Pat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

Shhhh! Yes and yes. BUT, I've never been gigged for it. When, and if, I do they'll both go. Look closely, you'll see "other" personal things, some of which come off before I enter an event.
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post May 4 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Why do you(all) keep including the towing eye in your tool kit? If you do that, shouldn't the jack be included as well? My towing eye was never part of the tools in the (dark gray leatherette w/red leather tie) kit on my '70 /4.
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Feb 19 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Tool kit for a 1970 /4 delivered April 1970. Why there are two 13/8mm wrenches, I have no idea. Towing "eye" is mounted in front trunk.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 19 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 19 2007, 07:17 PM) *

Tool kit for a 1970 /4 delivered April 1970. Why there are two 13/8mm wrenches, I have no idea. Towing "eye" is mounted in front trunk.

Maybe you just got a "bonus" from uncle Karmann? Maybe there were twins making up the toolkit? Maybe you got lucky - nothing wrong with free spares!
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Feb 19 2007, 08:05 PM
Post #27

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 30 2006, 10:08 PM) *

Tom the 74 kit did not have the bag with the tie, only the thin black plastic polyethylene bag.

I find it odd but my 74 car has that hubcap puller tool too, but in 74 none of the 914s came with hubcaps, they were either alloys or the cross-style steel rims.

I register an affirmative on the black bag with no outer bag, as I have none in my car either, and I believe the thing to have never been messed with or opened, till I got the car, because of where it was found in the car. VERRRY hidden.

Also some food for thought for all yo cross/breed weirdo's like me that are into more than one make. A little secret, some of which many of you already know.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) The 2.0 litre Bug Van also had the same thing in its glove box........ssssshhhhh. Its exactly, as I can determine, the same. Kept mine out of my 78 Vanagon, when it went to the big iron oxide pit in the sky, as a kind of pseudo spare.
Any one else out there register an affirmative on this ?
mrgreenjeans
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Feb 19 2007, 08:17 PM
Post #28

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Poor-sche Lover @ May 1 2006, 11:01 PM) *

Why was a rubber band even included in the kit? From looking at the pictures, it seems more like a MacGyver kit to get the car home. "If we wrap the rubber band around the screw driver, and hook up the paper clip to the battery, we can jump across the leads to . . . " But seriously, why a rubber band?

And this may be becoming a little too cw for you all....but on the black rubber band wrapped around the baggie thingie----(making belief its supposed to be the official tool bag from Porsche); that black band, if memory serves me, as I unwrapped it the first time and it disintegrated into a small portion of rubber follicles resembling mouse dung, the thing appeared to not be just ANY rubber band...it appeared as if it had a glob like appendage on it. Kind of like a wide , flat portion of rubber, kind of like to grab your thumb and forefinger around, and twist the whole thing off the sack with.

So have any of you seen this geeky thing before, or did I just get a mutant band ?

And if it was OE, just where would one go to get one again, as I doubt there is a part number on this item, nor a bin full of them over Deutschland way........

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) --just more food for thought to drive us all a little further over the edge and into that ever deepening abyss.
mrgreenjeans (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 1 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #29

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Don't know if it's old news but this site has some interesting info:
http://www.p914.com/
Being an original owner of a 74, & a young boy at the time, I don't remember if the tow-eye screwed in up front, the tool kit went in the back, wrapped in the black plastic bag. Ours did not come w/ the hub cap puller & I read on the above website that lots of dealers removed them from "alloy wheeled cars". If you use the screwdriver too much the handle will crack, as mine did 25 years ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ! The kit stayed bundled up w/ the jack & the black rubber band was not really a rubber band... it seemed more like someone sliced up an inner tube w/ a pair of scissors & used that as a rubber band. It did wrap around the black plastic bag & kept the tools in/together. My 2 cents.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Edit: OK now I'm confused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ?! Found these mixed in my Dads' tools today.

This post has been edited by Johny Blackstain: Jun 29 2007, 01:23 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Jun 14 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #30

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669
Region Association: None

I just bought a '74 from the original owner and my car confirms what others say. The tool kit is a black plastic bag, wrapped with a black rubber band, in the trunk with the jack. The kit included a lug nut wrench, screwdriver, and one small wrench.

Essentially just like the first picture on this post but minus the hubcap puller. I don't think it was ever touched and fortunately the rubber band is like new.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 14 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 1 2007, 11:06 PM) *

Don't know if it's old news but this site has some interesting info:
http://www.p914.com/
Being an original owner of a 74, & a young boy at the time, I remember the tow-eye screwed in up front, the tool kit went in the back, wrapped in the black plastic bag. Ours did not come w/ the hub cap puller & I read on the above website that lots of dealers removed them from "alloy wheeled cars". If you use the screwdriver too much the handle will crack, as mine did 25 years ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ! The kit stayed bundled up w/ the jack & the black rubber band was not really a rubber band... it seemed more like someone sliced up an inner tube w/ a pair of scissors & used that as a rubber band. It did wrap around the black plastic bag & kept the tools in/together. My 2 cents.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Well, they DID continue to supply the hubcap puller with the tool kits. Why, I don't know, but it was probably a 2 cent part (I need one badly, by the way). I've heard about the screwdriver handles cracking & it doesn't surprise me because of age.

Yeah, the black rubber "band" was kind of hefty. Had the same tool kit on my '76 924 - exact same kit. Strange as it sounds, I'd like to have that car back, as it was when we parted ways. Underpowereed, but great handling.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 22 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #32

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I thought I'd revisit this thread because I discovered reading the car manual the tool bag was stored up front w/ the tow eye included. The 74 kit was bare bones at best & is listed on page 43 of the 74 manual as "Wheel Bolt Wrench w/ Breaker Bar, Double-ended Screwdriver & Towing eye". No mention of a hubcap puller or Hazet 10mm/13mm, which I know came w/out puller & w/ Hazet. Does say the kit is subject to change. There is no photo of the tool kit on p. 43. Also on this page it states it's stored in the front trunk. On p. 59 where it describes the tow hook placement on the back bumper it states that the towing eye is stored in the tool bag. My Dad must have kept it in the rear because that's where I always remembered it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Jun 19 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 30 2006, 12:11 PM) *

Tool Kit for a 914-6

Tom

Dredging up an old thread here. I see in Tom's post he has a blister pack of red fuses. Later on he admits it's not original. Does anyone have a picture of what the original looked like? Also, I see a little something else poking out of the pouch next to the red fuses. Is that another small fuse pack?

A couple other questions. My pouch also has the darkening seen on the right side of the image. Is that from the fan belt rubbing or something else? Any idea if it's possible to clean it? Finally, my pulley wrench has a little bit of a twist in it between the pins. Is that typical from use/abuse or did they come that way? (The pulley wrench in the 911 kit I just sold on evilBay had the same sort of twist, so using my small sample size I will lie with statistics and suggest that's a pretty typical "feature".)

Thx,

Skip Montanaro
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Jun 19 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 731

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jun 19 2008, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 30 2006, 12:11 PM) *

Tool Kit for a 914-6

Tom

Dredging up an old thread here. I see in Tom's post he has a blister pack of red fuses. Later on he admits it's not original. Does anyone have a picture of what the original looked like? Also, I see a little something else poking out of the pouch next to the red fuses. Is that another small fuse pack?

A couple other questions. My pouch also has the darkening seen on the right side of the image. Is that from the fan belt rubbing or something else? Any idea if it's possible to clean it? Finally, my pulley wrench has a little bit of a twist in it between the pins. Is that typical from use/abuse or did they come that way? (The pulley wrench in the 911 kit I just sold on evilBay had the same sort of twist, so using my small sample size I will lie with statistics and suggest that's a pretty typical "feature".)

Skip,
Check out that web site mentioned above. http://www.p914.com The fuse kit pictures are shown. "Pudenz" is marked on the holder. The article claims the fuse kit is not part of the tool kit, but instead is kept in the glove compartment. I found that interesting.
My wife used simple green to clean up the pouches. Takes awhile. You might try magic eraser, too.
My pulley wrenches are straight.
Hope this helps.
Don

Thx,

Skip Montanaro

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 08:09 PM