Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Color of Front Trunk Lid Springs
AvalonFal
post May 1 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Is the original color of the front trunk lid hinge springs black or body color?? If black, gloss, flat or semi?? Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post May 1 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #2

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

AlavonFal

Front hood springs were gloss black. To achive my finish when restoring my car I made a fixture to stretch the springs, sand blasted them, then powder coated to the gloss finish (see picture). I know it's anal, but that's what CW's do.

Tom

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
AvalonFal
post May 2 2006, 06:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Tom,
Thanks for the info. From your pic, it looks like it was all worth the extra effort.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post May 2 2006, 06:55 AM
Post #4

Mid-Engn.

AvalonFal

Thanks for the kind words. I just want to tell you a little more about restoring these cars. Hopefully it helps your situtation. Don't do it!!!!!!!
What I did is not for everyone. I was excited about my car after it's purchase. Parts were easy to get and price deals were often found. Today's supply is not available like 10-yrs ago. Fix your car to taste & enjoy it.

Notice the details in the picture. I researched everything and started with a clean unmolsted CA car. I removed every part bagged & tagged it's condition for finish and replacement status. I went through a dozen head light motors to find the perfect piece with tiger strips (factory finish-see picture) then gave it a light clear coat to preserve the finish. Every nut & bolt was finished to factory (yellow di-chromite or zink finish) and confirmed by my next door neighbor's (Tim Walls) original 29K milage 914 sitting in his garage. Now you don't want to go through this and probably don't have an original to look at. Don't do what I did, just enjoy what you have with a few up-dates. I need to stop here, because you don't want to hear why it took me 5-years to restore and countless hours.

Tom
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 2 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #5

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 1 2006, 07:25 PM) *

AlavonFal

I know it's anal, but that's what CW's do.

Tom

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Anal? Anal? That must mean I'm.......
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post May 2 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #6

Mid-Engn.

Hi Pat Garvey & a big, big Welcome!!!!!

Now get your butt going and help us very sick CW's out.

This is an official Pat Garvey turnover.
I was just trying to get excitment going till you got on board.

Welcome Mr Moderator!!!!

Tom
+Quote Post
914runnow
post May 2 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,948
Region Association: None

AlavonFal

Front hood springs were gloss black. To achive my finish when restoring my car I made a fixture to stretch the springs, sand blasted them, then powder coated to the gloss finish (see picture). I know it's anal, but that's what CW's do.

Tom

Wellllll. Black was it.....But I have a new pair in bags with a bronzish tint to them..
No black paint...Got those about 6 years ago....(914 Part # too)....
+Quote Post
914runnow
post May 2 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #8

AlavonFal

Tom

What year is this car....??? Very nice too!!!
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post May 2 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #9

Mid-Engn.

914runnow,

My 914-4 is a 1974 2.0 liter Chrome Yellow (also called Saturn Yellow). I checked a few original 914's for black hood springs. I also bought a NOS pair from the Porsche dealer. The NOS ones looked black to me and matched my black originals. I powder coated my orig & purchased ones, than put on the best of the two. I stand by my statement it's gloss black.
Remember this, when the parts mfg makes the part they paint with cheap gloss paint. After a few days/years they look grungy from sitting in the parts bin.

Tom
BYW, Excellence Magazine's back issue #112 in 2002 has my car featured.
+Quote Post
914runnow
post May 2 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 2 2006, 05:56 PM) *

914runnow,

My 914-4 is a 1974 2.0 liter Chrome Yellow (also called Saturn Yellow). I checked a few original 914's for black hood springs. I also bought a NOS pair from the Porsche dealer. The NOS ones looked black to me and matched my black originals. I powder coated my orig & purchased ones, than put on the best of the two. I stand by my statement it's gloss black.
Remember this, when the parts mfg makes the part they paint with cheap gloss paint. After a few days/years they look grungy from sitting in the parts bin.

Tom

Porsche part #91451116310
purchase bin pull date 5-25-1999..
from Reno stock....
Tried to take a pic...did not work......
Can I get your address and I will send you one..
Even send you the return postage back to me.....
I agree that black IS correct....
But I have run into these sort of things with Porsche
since 94...Some I have returned ,some I have kept..
Lemmeno ...Even with Porsche:::::::
Partz is Partz.... Thanx for your input..
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post May 3 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #11

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Rex, You are in hog heaven here! Don't let Danni find out about this!

You should take some pics of the short basement and some of the stuff you have shown us locals. Make these guys drool...

You'd be the envy of the forum!
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 3 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 2 2006, 05:56 PM) *

914runnow,

Tom

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I AM impressed - Excellence Magazine! I've only been able to get mine featured in "glam" sports car books & with those damned chrome wheels on it! Very nice car - what's its background?
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post May 3 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #13

Mid-Engn.

Ummmm Pat, Mr. Moditator!!!

My wheels are not chromed, they are highly polished. The only thing non-origianl are the chromed lug nuts to match the highly polished wheel surfaces. So there you purist.

Tom
BTW
Yes, I am proud to have my car featured in EXCELLENCE magazine issue # 112 Aug. 2002. I really learned a lot about my project when I put it on paper. I came to realize editor Pete Stout knows his audience. He assigned a contributing writer to help me tell my story. He asked for my writeup in about 2500 words & to seperate different tasks. Pete wanted to show a Porsche could be restored at a reasonable dollar $$ amount if done by the owner. In other words you don't have to be rich to have an award winning Porsche. I believe I was able to bring my 914 in at a very reasonable $$ figure. I really enjoyed the research and finding bargin parts. I learned a lot. When the article came out & I read it for the first time I was amazed to learn it was my story, but put together very professionally by the magazine. Example: My story & I did the photography in slides. I learned how they lay out the type, etc. I noticed they position the pictures so your eyes follow smoothly into the article. I now look differently at articles from my experience with EXCELLENCE. I guess that's why Pete makes the big money. He knows what he's doing. I really appreciate & enjoy this world class Porsche magazine. You got to read the article to understand the story. Owner/builders can restore a Porsche on a budget with Concour results. I did!!!!

+Quote Post
boxstr
post May 3 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #14

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Tom is correct as are the other CWs black.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 7 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 3 2006, 09:45 PM) *

Ummmm Pat, Mr. Moditator!!!

My wheels are not chromed, they are highly polished. The only thing non-origianl are the chromed lug nuts to match the highly polished wheel surfaces. So there you purist.

Tom
BTW
Yes, I am proud to have my car featured in EXCELLENCE magazine issue # 112 Aug. 2002. I really learned a lot about my project when I put it on paper. I came to realize editor Pete Stout knows his audience. He assigned a contributing writer to help me tell my story. He asked for my writeup in about 2500 words & to seperate different tasks. Pete wanted to show a Porsche could be restored at a reasonable dollar $$ amount if done by the owner. In other words you don't have to be rich to have an award winning Porsche. I believe I was able to bring my 914 in at a very reasonable $$ figure. I really enjoyed the research and finding bargin parts. I learned a lot. When the article came out & I read it for the first time I was amazed to learn it was my story, but put together very professionally by the magazine. Example: My story & I did the photography in slides. I learned how they lay out the type, etc. I noticed they position the pictures so your eyes follow smoothly into the article. I now look differently at articles from my experience with EXCELLENCE. I guess that's why Pete makes the big money. He knows what he's doing. I really appreciate & enjoy this world class Porsche magazine. You got to read the article to understand the story. Owner/builders can restore a Porsche on a budget with Concour results. I did!!!!

Hey Tom - speaking of Excellence....

Buying some parts from a local guy whose car was also featured in Excellence, June 2002. It's a turbocharged 914 (yeah, I know, not CW). Drives it hard & regularly & for some reason it works & stays together. I never got that mag (somehow I missed 1 car mag), so haven't seen the article.

If you still have your back issues, check it out & let us know what you think.
Pat
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Nov 7 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #16

Mid-Engn.

Hi Pat,

What are you up too digging up old stuff. Good to hear your still active on this site. You are a true CW & everyone should be thankful you are here giving advise. I am not sure which EXCELLENCE issue your missing. Give me a PM on my private e-mail with your address & I'll send you a copy. Do you have literature for your 1972 914? I may have an extra piece & maybe a paint chart.
e-mail # <tjbliznik@ameritech.net>

Tom
BTW: Been taking a break from everything & going to FL (Destin area) around Thanksgiving. Lots of family stuff & been busy. I put the 914 away for the winter. I'll need a new battery, the Optima is dead.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 06:50 AM