Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need help with school assignment, Need responses to a few Questions
wannateener
post May 2 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #21

The Bombdiggity Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,759

for real................the real 2nd question is............what have you seen happen to the values over the last 5 to 10 years have they gone up or down? what do you think the long term result be?[/b]

thanks again
dylan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jd74914
post May 2 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #22

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(street legal go-kart @ May 2 2006, 10:54 PM) *

question number 2 what is the opposite sex factor or
if you have a 914 is it easyer to pick up girls?

hahahahahahahahahaha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I don't know that the car helps so much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'm 17 and quite often drive a pink truck and hang out with wicked hot girls (IMO and that of others) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

On the real second question the values have gone up astronomically in the past few years. I would expect that they will eventually (within the next 5 years), plateau and hold their value for a while atleast. But, on the other hand, 356 and classic 911 prices have been increasing for a while after plateauing in the mid90s IIRC.
+Quote Post
wannateener
post May 2 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #23

The Bombdiggity Master

ok guys i have to go to bed jt is glued to lemans please keep replying i will look at them in the morning and post a new question (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

thanks for all the great posts talk to you all later
:hide:dylan
+Quote Post
GWN7
post May 2 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #24

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

They have gone up 25-30% over the last 5 years........

Pretty soon they will be $1,000,000 cars......mind you gas will be $5,000 a gal then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
wannateener
post May 3 2006, 07:14 AM
Post #25

The Bombdiggity Master

And now for a million dollar question: How much can a person expect to spend to restore a roller with with average expected rust and other issues normally seen in cars which have sat/ben abandoned (like mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif) ) to...
Daily Driver Condition?
Racer Condtion?
Show Condition?

Thanks for all your help, Dylan

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
wannateener
post May 3 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #26

The Bombdiggity Master

QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 2 2006, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(street legal go-kart @ May 2 2006, 10:54 PM) *

question number 2 what is the opposite sex factor or
if you have a 914 is it easyer to pick up girls?

hahahahahahahahahaha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I don't know that the car helps so much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'm 17 and quite often drive a pink truck and hang out with wicked hot girls (IMO and that of others) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mabe I should paint it pink (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

On the real second question the values have gone up astronomically in the past few years. I would expect that they will eventually (within the next 5 years), plateau and hold their value for a while atleast. But, on the other hand, 356 and classic 911 prices have been increasing for a while after plateauing in the mid90s IIRC.

+Quote Post
wannateener
post May 3 2006, 07:18 AM
Post #27

The Bombdiggity Master

Mabe I should paint it pink... was my response, dont know what happened to that last post
+Quote Post
bd1308
post May 3 2006, 07:22 AM
Post #28

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

i dont think it looked good in hot pink.

I had a hot pink 914 I used for fixing my wreck damage.

I threw up a little everytime I saw it.

b
+Quote Post
gopack
post May 3 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #29

CHEESEHEAD in CA, MARK

Member No.: 2,472
Region Association: Northern California

"hahahahahahahahahaha

I don't know that the car helps so much. I'm 17 and quite often drive a pink truck and hang out with wicked hot girls (IMO and that of others)
End quote

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

Some one had to do it!
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post May 3 2006, 09:00 AM
Post #30

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

In addition to what was said above:

I think of cars as kinetic sculpture, much like an Alexander Calder mobile. Since I see them as art, more than just a simple machine, my addiction is a little differently described.

Like art and artistic pursuits, it is not about the finished product, but the process. The process that one goes through by looking at other cars, deciding what suits them best, researching the ways and options to acheive ones goals, planning the work, getting it done, enjoying the fruits of your labor and then starting all over again is the exact same artistic process that painters, writers, scupltors, and other artistically inclined people go through. For me, it is the same process, but my medium is the 914.

As for my car, I have had it 3 years and I am doing more and more of the work on it myself (with the help of the members of the non-club llc). I am taking slow steps and researching things as I go. The brakes have been updated to a 19mm master and steel lines with good pads. I just replaced all the bushings in the transmission linkage. I have a new hi-torque mini starter and pertronix ignition. I have recently bought a front sway bar and am looking for springs now too. After that is done, its either paint and body work or a new motor (hopefully a Jake Raby special). Additonal items on the list are: bumpers, bumper tops, new dash, GTS seat, new seatbelts (944 maybe) and a few other things too.

So that's my plan, and it will take me w few years to complete and it will change as my aspirations, funds and time ebb and flow.

Hope that helps.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 3 2006, 09:12 AM
Post #31

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(wannateener @ May 2 2006, 06:52 PM) *

i have to write a Persuasive essay for school. I have chosen to do it on "why bother restoring a 914?" I have written about the history of the 914 but would like to add personal responses to my essay. I would like to get a few answers to questions I have about why others choose to rebuild this car. If anyone would help answer a few questions online I will work the responses into my essay. I told my mom that it was because the car choose us and we didnt choose them but she said that that doesnt work so im resorting to this. In your response if you could post how long you have owned a 914 and if you had any proffessional experience in the automotive field that will be helpful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

my first question is...........why choose a 914 to restore over any other car?

thanks for any help i will post the next question when i get a few responses.
dylan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I chose a 914 because years ago, while autocrossing a 240Z and winning my class in nearly every event I evaluated why I was losing those two or three times a year. I found that I consistently lost by 2 seconds when either of two guys would show up. One owned an Alfa Romeo GTV-6, the other a Porsche 914 2.0. The thought of owning an Alfa Romeo was just too nauseating. How would I deal with the shame? But the 914 intrigued me. The problem was I lived in Minnesota. There were no 914's to be found that didn't have terminal rust. Then I moved to California... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Here is 914 country.
+Quote Post
Miss Mari
post May 3 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #32

what chicken?

Member No.: 5,823

QUOTE(wannateener @ May 3 2006, 06:14 AM) *

And now for a million dollar question: How much can a person expect to spend to restore a roller with with average expected rust and other issues normally seen in cars which have sat/ben abandoned (like mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif) ) to...
Daily Driver Condition?
Racer Condtion?
Show Condition?

Thanks for all your help, Dylan

I just wanted to thank everyone for helping the kid with his essay. Youve given him some great ideas and useful quotes. He knows why he is doing his car project but it really helps hearing why others would want to endure this daunting task. Does anyone have any thoughts on costs as mentioned above?????

Thanks, Mari (wanateener's mom) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
wannateener
post May 3 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #33

The Bombdiggity Master

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) what have you seen happen to the values over the last 5 to 10 years have they gone up or down? what do you think the long term result be? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
rcrgrl
post May 3 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 5,893

QUOTE(wannateener @ May 3 2006, 06:55 PM) *

they've gone up and down, but IMHO they are headed up to stay this time, due mostly to rarity of good cars and renewed interest. though, i think the 4's will always be the lease expensive porsche available. there was a really good article on this in one of the porsche magazines recently - can't remember though.... maybe somebody else knows
+Quote Post
wannateener
post May 3 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #35

The Bombdiggity Master

i guess my thread isnt dead and everyone is asleep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) rcrgrl we didnt see you at the g&r why didnt u come?!!!
+Quote Post
John
post May 3 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #36

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

Easier to pick up girls??

I'm sorry, but an answer to that question would (from my experience) would be a wholehearted NO.

In fact, when I drive my 914 I get more looks from guys wondering what the hell is that. However, the 914 does draw more attention than my 911 Turbo. It seems that nobody cares about those old cars anymore.

I've never really been drawn to girls who care what kind of car I drive.

(Besides girls like that could give a crap unless it is a NEW Carrera GT or the latest Lambo, Ferrari, or (insert supercar here).....)

I didn't realize the REAL question #2 was about values?

I don't really know as I have not been in the market. I have owned my 914 for 18 years or so and have no need for another and no desire to rid myself of the one I have taken care of and repaired. I assume that since the cars are older, and they have recently been recieving a lot of press, the values are on the rise. Parts seem to be getting more scarce and prices for those parts is climbing.

John

+Quote Post
John
post May 3 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #37

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

For the million dollar question.....

I only have one question for you that applies to all your scenarios:

HOW MUCH YOU GOT?

The sky is the limit. If you want a full CW car as a daily driver it will cost more. If you want a full race car with a full out 962 engine and tube frame to handle it, the biggest and best money can buy, again the sky is the limit.

However, no matter how much you spend, no matter how fast you drive, there will be someone who spends more or goes faster. It's the law of the west.

just my $0.02
+Quote Post
wannateener
post May 3 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #38

The Bombdiggity Master

ok rephrase that question how much would it cost to restore to almost complete original doing most the work yourself
+Quote Post
wannateener
post May 3 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #39

The Bombdiggity Master

ok new question #3

in your opinion do you think you should keep the 914 original or modify it to what ever you want and why ????????
+Quote Post
rcrgrl
post May 3 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 5,893

QUOTE(wannateener @ May 3 2006, 07:31 PM) *

i guess my thread isnt dead and everyone is asleep (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) rcrgrl we didnt see you at the g&r why didnt u come?!!!

i couldn't come - had to be here in SD at 11 - really wanted to though, i'll make it next time - maybe even with a running car!

and just for the record its not the girls that care what kind of car you drive - its the ones who know how to drive it (maybe even better than you)- and fix it - that make life interesting!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 12:23 PM