Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My son tossed his key down the defrost vent in the dash, sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face as a parent
DNHunt
post May 6 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #1

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

My son Gerry got his key to the 914 taken away for a month for showing off and last night he got it back for the first time. So he drives it down to a bon fire at the community beach. The kid comes in at 11:50 which is 10 minutes early and says "Dad, I had a problem with the car". It turns out he never put the key back on his key ring so he tosses it up on the dash for a second and down the passenger side defrost vent it goes.

He gets a buddy to hold the flash light and he proceeds to take out the windshield washer bottle and undo the paper foil hose to the blower and gets his key. The problem he had with the car was he tore the hose. Needless to say I'm so relieved I almost fill my pants and trying to keep a straight face but i feel like I have to say something. So I say "Keys belong on key rings and you can pay for the new hose".

I would have loved to see the episode down at the beach. I wonder what was said when the key disappeared. I wonder how long it took to get it out. I imagine he thought I would kill him.

To be honest I'm pretty proud of him. That's not an easy road repair. He knows how much I love this car and, he was right up front with me instead of trying to hide it. I broke a U joint on my dad's Mustang when I was 16 and lied through my teeth about it, "No sir, no burnouts, it just broke."

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 6 2006, 09:00 AM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

It's a learning experience......just think of the dumass things "I" have done in my years....go ahead...I bet you can think of a dozen at least.....
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post May 6 2006, 09:03 AM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My son did the same thing except he was in the back seat ,threw them up front hit the window and I watched em drop into the defrost vent, the worst part was we were on the ferry boat ,redy to unload,
panic time, had some wire in back and fished em up and out

Oh ya this other time at a breakfast with a bunch of 914 guys, well you saw the pictures.
some peolpe just have key incidents. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

(backseat of a Jeep)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post May 6 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #4

Yep, The wife and I had a pretty good laugh about it this morning. I wish I could have that kind of luck on the golf course

Dave
+Quote Post
Borderline
post May 6 2006, 09:12 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

If you're so proud of your kid........tell him (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Sounds like you got a great relationship going. You don't have to be a hard ass all the time!
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 6 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Someone on this list once threw his key on the dash and watched it disappear down the defroster vent, ON THE STARTING GRID! My lips are sealed ......... The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Allan
post May 6 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #7

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 6 2006, 08:03 AM) *

My son did the same thing except he was in the back seat ,threw them up front hit the window and I watched em drop into the defrost vent, the worst part was we were on the ferry boat ,redy to unload,
panic time, had some wire in back and fished em up and out

Your son has a teener with a back seat??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
brp914
post May 6 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #8

Unregistered

I had some coins fall in there once. they dissapeared into never never land. ofcourse my wheels were out of balance, so at 65mph the wheel would vibrate and cause the coins to make a noise like a rattlesnake. gonzo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) I'm tellin ya.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 6 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #9

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 6 2006, 08:30 AM) *

Someone on this list once threw his key on the dash and watched it disappear down the defroster vent, ON THE STARTING GRID! My lips are sealed ......... The Cap'n

REAL race cars have pushbutton ignitions..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 6 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #10

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

tell the pup k says "you have to think smart to look cool". when does he buy the new hose and install it? he must have been relieved not to have called dad to arrange for a tow.

k
+Quote Post
Brando
post May 6 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #11

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

about time to get some of that finely woven plastic grating and a plastic "welder" (or some MEK) and cover them vents up good.

All the while I was thinking: "How do you lose the whole key ring in those tiny vents?"
+Quote Post
wilchek
post May 6 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,177

call GPR they have some new vent house about $16 for 1 yard.
+Quote Post
Toast
post May 6 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #13

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

My son tossed his key down the defrost vent in the dash, sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face as a parent

Ok, I will do it for you..........

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post May 6 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #14

If you're so proud of your kid........tell him biggrin.gif Sounds like you got a great relationship going. You don't have to be a hard ass all the time!

I actually had a nice talk with him about the fact I was proud of him for telling me and I thought his attempt at a roadside repair was pretty good. The fact that the hose tore is still his fault for not putting the key on the keychain. He's still paying for the hose cause he has to be responsible. I already got a hose at a local VW place for 5 bucks. If I hadn't had my 914world.com (nonclub) cap it would have been less. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flipa.gif) Ovals.

Incidentally, the key is still on the coffee table in the livingroom where he left it last night. I wonder if he will find it the next time he wants to use the car.

Dave
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 03:35 PM