Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Polishing Anodized Aluminum Trim, There has to be an easier method!!!!!!!
73Phoenix20
post May 6 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,283

We have all been there and done that! The Anodized Aluminum Trim around the windshield gets nicks and scratches....

Easy, right? Just polish them out and the Trim will look beautiful again...

Well, NO, its not easy, but yes, if done properly the trim looks great!

My current method is as follows: Sheet of 220 Wet & Dry, Sheet of 600 Wet & Dry, Sheet of 1000 Wet & Dry, Bottle of Blue Magic Metal Polish, Pad of extra fine (000) Bronze Wool (NOT Steel Wool!!!)

Tape all around the Trim to be polished (you will slip; no, you aren't that good!) Double up on the blue masking tape; it's cheap!

Quarter sheet of 220 grit, folded to 1/4 size. Spray with a mist of 1 quart water and a few drops of dish soap, well mixed. Paper should be damp, but not dripping. Gently sand with the length of the trim, in long, even strokes...medium pressure. Cover the entire piece. Wipe off the black residue with a clean damp paper towel. Repeat. You may need to do this part up to three times!

Do the same thing with the 600 grit, then the 1000 grit, using less pressure with each paper switch. Wipe clean between each grit with the damp paper towel.

Finally, apply a small spot of Blue magic to a small tight ball of Bronze Wool (boaters with teak know what this stuff is!!!) and again polish the surface in long gentle strokes, with light to medium pressure. When the surface and wool turns black, apply a spot of Blue magic to a clean cotten cloth (rag) and wipe off any trace of residue. Buff with another clean cotten rag. Lean over to see your reflection in the trim... If you can see yourself clearly, you have done it right! If the trim appears to have dull streaks and some polished spots, start over! You haven't gotten thru all of the anodizing yet!

NOW, somebody tell me there is an easier method, PLEASE!!! I spent two hours doing just one quarter of my windshield trim, and it was in reasonably good shape to start with. It did come out very nice, but I now have no finger tips left! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
73Phoenix20   Polishing Anodized Aluminum Trim   May 6 2006, 07:02 PM
Brew   Does windsheild trim not come off the car? If so,...   May 6 2006, 08:24 PM
Jeff Bowlsby   All new trim is roughly $200...why not just r...   May 6 2006, 08:51 PM
73Phoenix20  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:04 PM