Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anybody running without a rear sway bar?, How does it corner?
stephen7
post May 7 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,663

I read that the early cars didn't have rear sway bars - do they make a difference?

I bought expensive weltmeister sway bars for my 911 and all the PCA racers said take them off and it will corner better. How about 914s? Should you have beefy sway bars for AX and DE or run with stiffer springs, dampeners and thicker torsion bars?

thanks

steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 7 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #2

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

depends on your set up and what you want to do with your car.

My car is for DE/TT and AX. 21 mm front torsion bars, stock front sway bar, and koni adjustables. Rear is 180# springs and Bil sports with no rear bar, stock or otherwise.

Car is well balanced, turns in on command.
Alignment has a lot to do with a cars cornering and balance.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 7 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

First, I don't believe that early cars had sway-bars. And I think that when the factory fitted the bars, they were front and rear both. (But no, I'm not certain about it.)

I loved the factory F&R bars on my car when I had stock springs. Now that I've got 140s in the rear (still stock front torsions!) and a 19mm bar up front, the rear bar was too much roll stiffness in the rear. I removed it and am happy with the balance. (For now.)

It's all a question of balance. You can increase the roll stiffness directly with sway bars, or indirectly with stiffer springs (which also increase the overall stiffness). Either way works, and to some extent you can trade off between the two.

EDIT--When I had the stock suspension, I tried a little autoX with the rear bar disconnected. Not a huge difference, but I liked the way the car felt with the rear bar connected better than with it disconnected. I put it back on at the first opportunity! Until I upgraded the rear springs, that is...

--DD
+Quote Post
stephen7
post May 7 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #4

what size tires and wheels are you running? Did you try it with a rear sway bar too? Did you get too much oversteer with a rear sway bar?
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 7 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #5

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I'm running my 914/6 with 21 mm front bar, 200# rear springs, no rear bar and it is very balanced.
+Quote Post
turboman808
post May 7 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

really not a question with a definite answer as you see. All depends on what you got already.

I will say this though. On my honda I went for a harder spring in the rear so I didn't need a rear sway bar. At the time seems lots of people had problems with the sub frame tearing out. If I ever get around to it though I will go back and replace the 550# springs with 400s and a 18mm sway so it isn't so harsh over bumps but still handles well.

But most important is you get a balance between the front and rear. Hard front and soft rear is gonna understeer. Soft front and hard rear will over steer.

I try to shoot for a slight understeer that I can throw into oversteer if I need to.
+Quote Post
John
post May 7 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #7

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Our track car has 21mm front torsion bars, a very heavy front sway bar (don't recall the size), 400# rear springs and no rear sway bar.

This car is track only (no auto-x). The car has 245/45-16 Kumho Victo Racers on all four corners.

The car is very neutral. We could tell no difference with the rear bar connected, but in the interest to prevent any rear wheel lift (and wheelspin), we removed the rear bar. Now that we have a limited slip differential, this may not be a problem, but like I said, we could tell no difference with or without the rear sway bar.
+Quote Post
stephen7
post May 7 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ May 7 2006, 09:56 PM) *

Our track car has 21mm front torsion bars, a very heavy front sway bar (don't recall the size), 400# rear springs and no rear sway bar.

This car is track only (no auto-x). The car has 245/45-16 Kumho Victo Racers on all four corners.

The car is very neutral. We could tell no difference with the rear bar connected, but in the interest to prevent any rear wheel lift (and wheelspin), we removed the rear bar. Now that we have a limited slip differential, this may not be a problem, but like I said, we could tell no difference with or without the rear sway bar.

when you see the pictures of the guy lifting his front tire on hard cornering - is that due to too stiff a combination of front sway bar/torsion bars? Is a little wheel lift ok?

I thought no rear bar would meet with widespread concerns but I stiffer springs and no rear sway bar is a pretty good set up.

thanks guys

steve
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 7 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #9

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Wow, I can't imagine driving a 911 w/o a rear swaybar.

Popular opinion for the 914 is that you only want a rear bar if your powerplant and suspension are basically stock (i.e. a 73-74 2.0 that came with swaybars) or if you have upgraded bits and an LSD.

I know that when I bought my current car with a torquey 2.4/four, it was totally undrivable until I unhooked the rear bar. Without an LSD it is very easy to unweight a drive wheel and an open diff sends the power there, resulting in chirping/spinning or worse.
+Quote Post
alan9144
post May 8 2006, 05:58 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,735

I don't have any sway bars or uprated shocks/springs on my 75 - yet - and it handles amazingly well, no matter how hard I try the thing is stuck to the road and the tires never make a noise (this is probably why my box is knackered (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Saying that I have a full set of weltmeisters/ adjustable Konis and uprated springs ready to fit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Al
+Quote Post
machina
post May 8 2006, 06:18 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

no rear bar here either....
+Quote Post
srb7f
post May 8 2006, 06:25 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,077

Had one for awhile, took it off and sold it. My current setup is 21mm torsion bars with a stock sway bar, #140 rear springs with Bilsteins all around.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post May 8 2006, 06:44 AM
Post #13

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Yup no rear bar on the red NEck Racer. Primary Autocross car but will have my 1st track lapping day This coming Friday.
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post May 8 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #14

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

My car had a big rear bar when I got it. I took it off after the first DE. The front suspension is stock (w/factory front bar) except for Koni shocks. In the rear, Koni's and 140# springs. The car has very slight understeer at higher speeds.
+Quote Post
URY914
post May 8 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #15

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

I ran a rear bar for one DE. Oversteer like crazy. Took it off.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post May 8 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #16

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 8 2006, 09:29 AM) *

I ran a rear bar for one DE. Oversteer like crazy. Took it off.

dial in more front bar ?

+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post May 8 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #17

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

I have an early car that came with NO swaybars. I added a stock rear bar and a Welt 21mm front bar. The car is flat and handles great...ask some of the folks that I used to AX against. I use the front bar to fine tune the set-up.

-Britain
+Quote Post
jhadler
post May 8 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #18

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

As it's been said here already, "it all depends". Car setup and alignment will have a large impact on wether a rear bar is needed.

I run 21 mm torsion bars, 200# coils, and a 22 mm adjustable front sway bar. No rear bar, and the car handles -very- well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've thought about going to softer rear springs and trying a rear bar, but haven't gone there yet. Need a running car to do that... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

-Josh2
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 8 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #19

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

i have to say that i like it better with the rear bar connected, for AX that is. seems to help to get that ass rotated in tight corners.

no power oversteer for me, so i take all the help i can get ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Brando
post May 8 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #20

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648

I'm running a 21mm front bar, stock tortion bars, 120# springs in the back with a stock rear bar and I cannot get barely any body roll in the hardest of turns. Not to mention it rides nice with Boges in back. 195/55/15 Fuzions on Rivieras.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 01:17 AM