Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Powder coating for dummies
ninefourteener
post May 8 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #1

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 779

So yesterday I was in Sears getting a new wheel for my lawnmower (don't ask)..... and I came across a powder coating gun for like $130 (ish) dollars.

Plus, I saw the little "packets" of colored powder for next to nothing..... and I thought to myself... "Is it really this easy and cheap"???

Am I missing something? I really know nothing about powder coating, other than the awesome final product. Is it really this easy? Am I missing something?

I thought about powder coating the original wheels on the WRX in a satin black.... is a $130 gun, and a few packets of "black" all I need???

----confused.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post May 8 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #2

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

You need an oven that you won't be cooking food in any more. At least that's what the Eastwood instruction book says. I got my powedercoating oven for free by advertising at work.

For best results on parts, you may want to use a bead (or sand) blaster to rough up the surface. I sandblasted a lot of steel and cast iron parts... the steel parts almost all turned out nice, but the cast iron parts seem to have a bit of rust bleeding through (even though I thought I had blasted all the rust loose).
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post May 8 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #3

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have the same powder coating gun. I bought it just a few months ago. Yes it is easy the hardest part is preparing the piece that is to be coated. A wheel will fit into a standard house stove oven. I didn't buy any of Sears powder, I bought my powder from Columbia Coatings. You can buy as little as 2 oz. of powder at a time from them, their powders are excellent. I have a thread about the first things that I coated. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...=powder+coating
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post May 8 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #4

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

I have a gun that I bought at Harbor Freight and it works fine. I live near the beach, and I can really tell a difference on a humid day. The static charge dissipates over a shorter distance.

Baking the parts is really the most tricky step. I use a propane space heater and some pieces of sheet metal to form a quasi-oven and it seems to work well with some patience and attention. I'm probalby not getting the exact 400 degrees for 20 minutes, but it is close enough. Occasionally I will over heat the parts and th powder can look a little burned.

Surface preparation like with any other coating is really important.

-Tony
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post May 8 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #5

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

Obviously there was one crucial step I didn't know about powder coating......... BAKING.

Yea..... My wife almost shot me when I used the kitchen sink to clean car parts....... I can imagine what would happen when she finds a wheel in the oven--LOL
+Quote Post
Engman
post May 8 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #6

Zoisite

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 475

Keep in mind that 90% of any painting is the surface prep.

M
+Quote Post
yarin
post May 8 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #7

'14-X'in FOOL

Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

Is $130 for the gun that doesn't requite a compressor?

I bought the kit off columbia coatings two years ago. I finally used it to coat my intake parts. Here are pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/infinitelydig...57594124768996/

I bought a Walmart GE Oven for $50, worked perfectly. You need a small compressor to push about 10psi.

I sand blasted all of the parts first. Prep is the most time consuming part.
+Quote Post
davep
post May 8 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #8

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

About all I remember of the prep part of the powder paint line I worked on is that it was a multi step process. I think there was a phosphating section and a rince or two. The parts have to be superclean, sandblasting is not enough.
+Quote Post
dweymer
post May 8 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,167

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ May 8 2006, 02:48 PM) *

I have a gun that I bought at Harbor Freight and it works fine. I live near the beach, and I can really tell a difference on a humid day. The static charge dissipates over a shorter distance.

Baking the parts is really the most tricky step. I use a propane space heater and some pieces of sheet metal to form a quasi-oven and it seems to work well with some patience and attention. I'm probalby not getting the exact 400 degrees for 20 minutes, but it is close enough. Occasionally I will over heat the parts and th powder can look a little burned.

Surface preparation like with any other coating is really important.

-Tony

Got any pix? I bought the stooopid infrared heater 1500w and will cook to about 190, uneven as hell. I just bought a propane infrared heater and was going to so the same.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 03:43 AM