Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> paint manufacturer
krazykonrad
post May 17 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,610

Did Glassaurit make the paint for 914s? I know they made the paint for most if not all the VW beetles, but did they make 914 paint as well?
Konrad
Willow Green 72/4
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post May 18 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Konrad,
Back in 1979, I had the rear quarters on my '70/4 painted with Glassaurit paint to match the original L11E paint(Canary yellow). It was, and remains today, a perfect match. Whether or not they supplied Karmen in Osnabruck w/the original paint when our cars were manufactured, I do not know.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 18 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

To my recollection, Glasurit was a supplier during the production run, but not necessarily the only one.

I had my 72 stripped & repainted in '79 & used Glasurit, because I was sure at the time that it was proper. However, guess the point is, can anyone tell what paint is one a 914 if the color match is right on?

I'd also ask the group for thier opinion as to whether it matters or not. Like I said, if it's a match, who's to tell? Does the group think that Glasurit is THE BEST, or are there equals or betters?

Most of use don't repaint our cars every couple of years & technology changes. Has Glasurit (owned by DuPont these days I think) still stack up?
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Feb 26 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #4

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 18 2006, 09:32 PM) *

To my recollection, Glasurit was a supplier during the production run, but not necessarily the only one.

I had my 72 stripped & repainted in '79 & used Glasurit, because I was sure at the time that it was proper. However, guess the point is, can anyone tell what paint is one a 914 if the color match is right on?

I'd also ask the group for thier opinion as to whether it matters or not. Like I said, if it's a match, who's to tell? Does the group think that Glasurit is THE BEST, or are there equals or betters?

Most of use don't repaint our cars every couple of years & technology changes. Has Glasurit (owned by DuPont these days I think) still stack up?

When we had ours stripped and repainted in 95 , I requested Glasurit be used, and the body shop said, NO....we only use Martin Senour paints, because thats who we deal with. I was a tad reluctant, as I wanted that wonderful smell of the German paint wafting up my nostrils when I hand buffed the finish. And I knew thats what was used by the factory then, and on our 84 - 944. ( LOVE that aroma----its intoxicating....you guys that have smelled it know what I mean.)

Didn't get my way.....and after 12 years, have to say....they did right by me.The finish is still PERFECT as the day they lay it on. So in the long run....what the heck did I know about the proper paint ? The color match was exemplary, and the durability has exceeded my every expectation. Let the true porfessionals do what you pay 'em to do.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 26 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

IMHO, you can't get 70's formulation Glasurit, so Glasurit isn't even Glasurit anymore. All that matters is color.
+Quote Post
davep
post Feb 26 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #6

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

As I have said, many times, before, the choice of paint is best left to the painter. They will be much happier to use a paint that they are familiar with, and they can lay it on with fewer problems. Do you want your paint job to be an experiment?
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 26 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(davep @ Feb 26 2007, 07:30 PM) *

As I have said, many times, before, the choice of paint is best left to the painter. They will be much happier to use a paint that they are familiar with, and they can lay it on with fewer problems. Do you want your paint job to be an experiment?

Good point! Paint and bodywork technology has changed just like everything else. Times change.

When I had my sail panels redone in '79 there were no replacement panels. They had to be cut out completely & new panels hand beaten - and LEADED! Try to find a lead guy today!

Yeah, Glasurit was still premier then, but I'd leave it to my painter today, because I don't keep up with the techno changes.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 26 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #8

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Glasurti or Spies will be the BEST match AND the absolute best quality out there. That doesn't mean other paints are junk just that those two are the premier. I personally shoot Spies almost exclusivly BUT will use Glasurit on my 57 Beetle because I plan to be that anal with that car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Feb 27 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #9

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 26 2007, 06:03 PM) *

Glasurti or Spies will be the BEST match AND the absolute best quality out there. That doesn't mean other paints are junk just that those two are the premier. I personally shoot Spies almost exclusivly BUT will use Glasurit on my 57 Beetle because I plan to be that anal with that car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Scotty or others,

Question on paint. I used a German paint product called Sikkins (base coat, clear coat) and very happy with results.
Any comments on Sikkins??

Tom
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 28 2007, 05:50 PM
Post #10

rust free you say ?

Good stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 6 2007, 08:52 AM
Post #11

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 27 2007, 09:57 PM) *

Scotty or others,

Question on paint. I used a German paint product called Sikkins (base coat, clear coat) and very happy with results.
Any comments on Sikkins??

Tom

It's what's on my LE & I could not be happier. I actually like Sikkens over Spies because I think it dries faster, no other reason. I also hear that DuPont bought Spies but have not been able to tell if there's been any changes since the purchase. I have some very dear friends here, who own a body shop & use Spies almost exclusively. I hang out there so much they refer to me as an "associate" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . Anyway, I occasionally get to play & have experimanted w/ both. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Mar 6 2007, 09:22 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,507

Ask ten painters whats best and you'll get ten answers. The comments about using what hte painter is most comfortable with are the best ones. Any reputable, main brand paint is about as good as any other.

More important, if you are looking for an exact color match it is very hard. The color mixes have changed alot at the manufacturers as they have changed formulas over the last 30 years. Also, the colors on your car have changed.

To really match, you need to use a color sample from inside the doors or under carpet. The other colors are all faded by UV. When I did my car (Willow Green also) it took us three days to get a good color. I bought paint from all the manufacturers and ended up having to tint it on my own. I'm not sure if the color guns would get you close or not - I've never had good luck with them.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 6 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #13

rust free you say ?

I also hear that DuPont bought Spies but have not been able to tell if there's been any changes since the purchase.
[/quote]

Yes Dupont bought Spies a couple of years ago and IMMEDIATLY jacked Spies prices up %30. MANY unhappy painters after that. Spies kinda went from a body shop paint to a custom paint after that just because the added cost doesn't werk well in collision werk, unless you have a mixing station. As for the formulation, it is the same as it has always been. They did put out a new clear last year that is much more production friendly as it is thinner and dries quicker. It also is quite a bit easier to wet sand and buff. The Mazda drag car I just finished last week was done in RM Diamont, and never having used it before I was pleasantly surprised. Very good quality, easy to werk with and looked great. May have to use it again........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:20 AM