Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RAT 3100 mile Cross Country engine test begins tomorrow!, Check out our map and meet up with us on our way to Cali!
Jake Raby
post May 20 2006, 06:33 AM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Here's the link to the RAT Torquer Tour Map. http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/crosscountry/
It's about 3100 miles from Cleveland to Sacramento taking this out of the way, grueling route that we have chosen.

For those unfamiliar, this is the ultimnate test for the engine that we built for the current "Type 4 Torquer" build up series for Hot VWs magazine. Its a 170 HP daily driver with 180 lb/ft of reliable performance.

Day 1, Sun 5/21/06:
* Cleveland to Carrollton, GA for a quick stop at the Atlanta Bug Fever Show
* Thru Birmingham, AL to Indianapolis, IN

Day 2, Mon 5/22/06:
* VolksBash show
* On to LN Engineering in Momence, IL for a chat with Charles
* Push on to Lincoln, NE

Day 3, Tue 5/23/06:
* Grind on to Breckenridge, CO

Day 4, Wed 5/24/06:
* Hit the hills through Steamboat Springs and Dinosaur, CO to Salt Lake City, UT (looking forward to this part )

Day 5, Thurs 5/25/06:
* Take it home to Sacramento, CA through Reno, NV

We'll be updating the map as we go to show status and creating linked pages with details along the way. The logger will be recording CHTx4, EGTx4, AFR, O/T, Fan Inlet Temp, RPM, Speed, 2Axis Acceleration, and GPS Location. We'll get the car weighed and do a cost down measurement to determine the drag coeficient and rolling resistance so we can calculate road torque and power. The pages linked to the "thumb tacks" on the map will have screen shots of this data as well as reports on oil changes, mileage, weather, road grade, and altitude. We'll be taking pictures and some in-car video as well. It's going to be a virtual reality show

Since we'll have wireless internet connections (and our own network in the car) feel free to email us if you want to meet us somewhere along the route, the email addy we'll be at is onthego@aircooledtechnology.com

If we have time we definately want to go a tad bit out of the way and data log a trip up Pike's Peak!

We'll be monitoring this thread for those interested in meeting us along the road for a quick stop to see the test gear and the engine..

The final destination is the Sacramento Bug O Rama next weekend in Sacramento California. If you are in the area come out and meet me, see the engine and our insane test gear that is installed in the "Starship enterprise" for this bad ass datalogging excursion!

Check out the site often, we'll be uploading information almost hourly from the road!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
obscurity
post May 20 2006, 06:41 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,628

Looks like a fun trip. Can't wait to see the in-route updates
+Quote Post
Tobra
post May 20 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,634

See you next weekend

If you need any tips on places to eat/drink holler, several places in town that make good beer, not a heck of a lot near the track though
+Quote Post
blitZ
post May 20 2006, 06:51 AM
Post #4

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719

Have a safe trip and don't forget to post.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 20 2006, 06:56 AM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

Myself and the navigator wil be taking turns driving and running the data acquisition systems so we'll be very busy most of the trip... we will ost updates on the site as often as possible, as long as we have a connection to the net....

Its gonna be a fun trip!
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post May 20 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #6

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Jake

Good luck and have fun. We'll see you Friday or Saturday in Sacramento depending on whether we go see people in SF. I'm just heading out to the garage to check the valves, CV joint bolts and anything else that might be loose.

Dave
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 20 2006, 08:07 AM
Post #7

Engine Surgeon

Looking forward to meeting you, Dave.....

This is kind of like my bachelor trip/party... The last chance I have to go wild before tying the knot June 11!

I'm gonna make the best of it!
+Quote Post
tdgray
post May 20 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #8

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

Damn Jake... you had me excited when I read from Cleveland to Sac...

OH DAMN he mans Cleveland GA.. not Cleveland Ohio...

Crap I thought I was going to get to meet Jake and the crew (of 1). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
groot
post May 20 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #9

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

Watch the triple digit speeds on the highway and have a blast!!!
+Quote Post
merrill
post May 20 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #10

Dirt Pimp

Member No.: 3,505

Jake,

I would love to meet with you however briefly when you get to Truckee just West of Reno. You might even want to take a twisty road detour and go 395 South to 431 (Mt Rose Highway) into the Tahoe Basin. Views and a beatiful not straight road, 8,200 elevation at the top. Either way, I would love the chance to meet you.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 20 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

Merrill, Keep up with the trip progress and email us when we are getting nearby- we'll shake hands and haul ass!

The route you mentioned might be a good alternative, by that part of the trip we may be out of time, especially if we head to Pike's peak..
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post May 20 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #12

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Glad to see that your coming through Salt Lake, hope I have an opportunity to meet you while you in town. I was wondering if your planning on spending the night in Salt Lake if so I would love meet you and treat you to a meal. Will be a fun trip, hope all goes well and you have no problems on the way. Good Luck and looking forward to maybe meeting you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 20 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #13

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

lincoln to breck. man, that's a haul. lucky it's not late july with temps and humidity in the high 90s. have fun jake.

k
+Quote Post
Spoke
post May 20 2006, 10:50 AM
Post #14

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Good Luck!

What kind of sustained highway speeds are you shooting for? 70s, 80s, 90s, 100s?

Spoke
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 20 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #15

Engine Surgeon

They will vary. The entire purpose of the run is for test data so we want to vary speeds along the way to get a better isea of what speedVs load Vs engine tuning really is.

We are also testing 6 different synthetic and dino oils on the run and doing oil analysis both before and after the trip..

I would say the average speed will be in the 70s more than likely.. I want to sustain 90+ for a few miles in Nevada though..
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 20 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

have a safe journey....I'm about an hour away from Sac. hopefully I can figure out a way to get up there and meet you.. (playing Mr.Mom now, not too keen on the idea of taking the twins up there with me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )
+Quote Post
street legal go-kart
post May 20 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #17

Miss Mari's slave

Member No.: 490

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 20 2006, 08:20 AM) *

Merrill, Keep up with the trip progress and email us when we are getting nearby- we'll shake hands and haul ass!

The route you mentioned might be a good alternative, by that part of the trip we may be out of time, especially if we head to Pike's peak..

The road up Pikes Peak will put 2 years of dirt on your engine and undercarraige.
Merrill's route is much more Teener friendly.
Just my 2cts

JT
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 20 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #18

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(street legal go-kart @ May 20 2006, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 20 2006, 08:20 AM) *

The road up Pikes Peak will put 2 years of dirt on your engine and undercarraige.
Merrill's route is much more Teener friendly.
Just my 2cts

JT

I'm not driving a teener- It's a 66 Beetle
+Quote Post
Tobra
post May 20 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 4,634

If you want to torture test on big, steep hills, you can catch Kingsbury Grade(Right by Tahoe) HWY207 or something, it links 395 and Hwy 28(Which circles Lake Tahoe). Mt Rose Hwy (431) has some of the best views of the Lake and would only add a little bit of time to your trip. Near the spot where Hwy 431 and 395 meet is Hwy 341, which is the old Ferrari hillclimb road, very nice pavement, quite the hill to climb.

BTW, if you drive all that way, and don't see Lake Tahoe, it would be a crying shame. It is one of the most Beautiful Spots on the planet

Going up Pikes Peak, dirt road and all might deposti a lot of dust, dirt on your oil cooler and leave you standing next to a puddle of Mobil 1(or whatever) in the middle of Eastern Colorado.

There is a road that goes sort of obliquely from near Albequerque to SLC, near 4 corners, Zion Park and some of the scenery that made the Duke famous SLC to Sacto is a loong haul, start early, that desert West of SLC is pretty nasty, well patrolled by the Beehive State's finest too, especially near SLC.
+Quote Post
merrill
post May 20 2006, 01:11 PM
Post #20

Dirt Pimp

Member No.: 3,505

JT, where in the Sierra Nevada are you?
Jake, I flew to SLC and drove my current car home- 10 hours of driving. We didn't have a speedo, so after installing one I figured we were doing 60-70. The guy i bought the car from said he had driven SLC to Reno in 5 hours! I have personally done it in 8.
If you came over Mt Rose, you could head down the East shore to Hwy 50 to Sac. Again a few more turns and very nice scenery.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:09 PM