Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> MSD help
watsonrx13
post May 20 2006, 04:14 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

Well, I attempted to install the complete MSD ignition system that Andy sold me, but I didn't have any luck. The engine is a 2.0l with dual 40 IDF webers, with the Webcam 86a cam (for carbed engines).

Here's a list of the parts:

MSD box
Blaster coil
MSD distributor w/spark plug wires
adapter cable
MSD tach adapter
NGK B7ES spark plugs with the metal caps attached

Attached Image

Here's how I installed everything:

1. Andy had already attached the MSD box to an aluminum plate, which I attached to the battery, where the FI brain use to go.
2. Removed the blue coil and installed the MSD coil.
3. Replaced distributor with MSD distributor.
4. Attached the MSD tach adapter to the aluminum plate
5. Installed the new spark plugs and wires

Attached Image

Here's how I attached the wires:

1. Purple and Green wires from 'back side' of MSD box to the adapter cable, then this cable was attached to the MSD distributor.
2. Orange and Black wires from the 'front side' of MSD box to the MSD coil. Orange to + (positive) and Black to - (negative).
3. Red and Black wires from the 'front side' of the MSD box to the battery. Red to + (positive) and Black to - (negative).
4. Red and White wires from the 'front side' of the MSD box to the MSD coil. Red to + (positive) and White taped off and not used.
5. Black and Black/Purple wires from the wiring harness to the MSD coil. Black = (positive) and Black/Purple to - (negative).

Attached Image

Well I tried to start the car but there was no spark at the plugs. I checked the spark out of the coil, but there wasn't any there either.

I don't understand how to connect the MSD tach adapter and where the wires hook up.

After attempting to get the car started, and failing, I reinstalled the old blue coil, distributor, plugs and wires.

What did I do wrong and how can I check if I 'fried' any of the electronic systems?

Any suggestions, comments and pictures will certainly be accepted and appreciated.

-- Rob

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
watsonrx13   MSD help   May 20 2006, 04:14 PM
trekkor   I don't have my diagram in front of me, but I ...   May 20 2006, 04:52 PM
trekkor   This will do it! KT   May 20 2006, 05:05 PM
Porsche Rescue   I have MSD manual which covers all sorts of distri...   May 20 2006, 05:06 PM
trekkor   hold it!! there is a page in the instruct...   May 20 2006, 05:07 PM
Porsche Rescue   After looking at your diagram, I think you want th...   May 20 2006, 05:12 PM
trekkor   you're fast... KT   May 20 2006, 05:14 PM
watsonrx13   Thanks for the info guys. I don't have the par...   May 20 2006, 05:27 PM
watsonrx13   OK, I'm back from the shop with some more pict...   May 20 2006, 06:52 PM
SirAndy   SUCCESS

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 05:24 PM