Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Goodyear Answers My Cantilever Slick Questions, I did some homework on rim width alternatives
nine14cats
post May 24 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

A few days ago we were discussing the Goodyear Cantilever Slicks in R250 and R430 compounds for tire size 23x9x15 that are a very common alternative tire for 914's when Autocrossing and running the track.

I first had e-mailed Goodyear Headquarters directly for some information related to my non cantilever slicks I run on my 911 (Fritz). I received an e-mail where Goodyear directed me to their official Western Region Territory race tire distributors for all technical questions related to their race slicks:

Carroll Shelby Enterprises, Inc.
19021 S. Figueroa St.
Gardena, California 90248
PHONE: 310/538-2914
FAX: 310/538-1815

I e-mailed Shelby and explained my situation. I also sent a separate e-mail concerning the canti's and the rim width question. I asked could the canti's be run on 8 inch rims and were there any performance gains, losses, safety issues or concerns. Here is the response I received from the Shelby / Goodyear representative:

"The 23x9-15 performs better on the 8" wheel. The wider wheel keeps the tread patch flatter which will give you more grip. It also supports the sidewall (makes it a little stiffer) so the car should turn in better. As far as safety goes there is no difference between the two.

Wear should increase on the 8" wheel."

After receiving this e-mail I called Shelby Enterprises and asked why the literature calls out 7 inch rims only. They said that it is recommended rim width based on the fact that the majority of racers using the Canti's are in spec classes where the wheel rim width is mandated by the rules. If racer's such as ourselves want to go with a different rim, we usually call in to Goodyear and they tell us it's okay to do so or not given the application. In this instance 8 inch rims are not a problem.

For kicks I also called one of the two approved Goodyear distributors for racing tires in the Southeastern Territory.

Competition Tire South, Inc.
771-28 Fentress Blvd.
P.O. Box 11586
Daytona Beach, Florida 32120-1586
PHONE: 386/274-5332
FAX: 386/274-5442

Competition tire told me pretty much the same story as Shelby Enterprises and also said that they encourage AX guys to use the 8 inch rim for better turn in.

Finally, I talked with one of Goodyear's Product Marketing managers at their Corporate Headquarters in Akron, Ohio. I had left a message on his voice mail since he is traveling on business until June 1st, but he called me back personally. I'd have to say that I have been impressed by Goodyear's people just like I have been impressed by Hoosier's people in the past. I think we may be pretty lucky to have these two vendors to put shoes on our 914's.

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
1144 East Market Street
Akron, Ohio 44316-0001
(330) 796-2121
Fax: (330) 796-2222

The Goodyear Product Manager told me that the cantilever slicks were designed to accomodate a range of 6 inch to 8 inch rims with no safety issues. Goodyear wanted to be able to offer the product to more than just one rim segment. It just so happenned that the majority of sales goes into the spec classes, versus us recreational "run what you brung" guys at local AX's or driving clubs.

It appears from Goodyear's own admission that running 8 inch rims is an acceptable practice and may be of performance benefit for the AX guys / gals. At the very least, every one of the Goodyear representatives including one of their Corporate product marketeers stated it was safe.

Since many of us are running or are thinking of running canti's, I thought this information may be of interest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
nine14cats   Goodyear Answers My Cantilever Slick Questions   May 24 2006, 12:06 AM
Joe Ricard   I got my "tire take off" guy on speed di...   May 24 2006, 05:15 AM
groot   Good work, Bill!!   May 24 2006, 05:57 AM
McMark   Bill thanks for doing all that leg work. It's...   May 24 2006, 06:14 AM
trekkor   Thanks Bill. I've never heard of any tire tha...   May 24 2006, 08:36 AM
nine14cats   We should also see if anyone has success at charti...   May 24 2006, 09:36 AM
race914   Bill, Thanks for all of the leg work! You ju...   May 24 2006, 09:47 AM
Joe Ricard   Yea what Greg said. My 15 x 8 Diamonds are gonna ...   May 24 2006, 09:50 AM
URY914   I think these tires are used for the front tires o...   May 24 2006, 09:57 AM
jhadler  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 09:07 PM