Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do people pronounce your name wrong, Post it HERE... please
Joe Bob
post Sep 26 2003, 06:31 PM
Post #21

Retired admin, banned a few times

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

My last name is pronounced, Smith. Or ZO eese, like in Luis, or Zwah, or Zo iz like Lois or Zoyce like in Joyce.....

Greek last name with a whole lot of Irish and German to water it down.

What do ya get when ya cross a Greek with an Irish and German......?

A really pissed off drunken janitor that owns the building...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

My Uncle that stays out all night is named Paddy O'Furniture...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Sep 26 2003, 07:18 PM
Post #22

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Yea, my name is Tucker and for some reason people keep calling me Fucker!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Jeff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Sep 26 2003, 08:30 PM
Post #23

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 288

You would think a last name like Tomlinson would be pretty easy...

But most people want to pronouce/spell it

Tomilson or
Tomelson

I can't even remember how badly butchered it was in India. They could even copy it correctly, even though my Business card was stapled to my Hotel Folder. They did finally get it right...when I kept telling them that the bill they gave me wasn't mine.

"But Sir, you are staying in that room..."

"Yes, but that is not my names..."

James Tomlinson

AND THERE IS NO "H" in TOMLINSON!!!
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Sep 26 2003, 08:33 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 538

My first and last name get messed up. My first name is Erik (with a K) so when people try and spell it Eric I correct them. I was asked once why not just let it go but I like the fact that there are not too many Erik's around.

Now my last name is Dumas (pronounced DOOM-US) I get a lot of french pronounciations (DOOM-AH) but the most common one is less flattering. I got it in grade school and just recently when I was boarding a plane to Vegas with some buddies - all of us celebrating our 30th birthdays - the check in girl took my ticket and said "Have a nice flight Mr. Dumb-ass" My friends just laughed, not because they have never used that one themselves, but more like they were surprised she used it. I told her the proper way to say my name and she turned bright red and apologized saying she never did pronounce names right. I got a laugh out of it by telling the guys "I don't know, I'm a Dumb-Ass remember?" any time they asked me a question. We got a good laugh saying I should look for a girl with the last name Doom-Kuntz and send the wedding announcement in to Jay Leno. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
JWest
post Sep 26 2003, 08:53 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 97

You bunch of whiners - you should try having MY name! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Just Kidding! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Actually, people try to call me Jim, but my dad is Jim, not me...
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Sep 26 2003, 08:57 PM
Post #26

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865

Yep my name is Garold (Harold with a G). Been called a lot of things in my life (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) usually its Gerald, Jerry,
Jarett, etc...

Last name Shaffer. There is only about 20 thousand different ways to spell it, but mine is the correct way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Sep 26 2003, 08:59 PM
Post #27

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You all are wusses. My last name is Gruenling. When my grandfather cam through Ellis Island, they took his German last name of Grünling, and added an E.

I have been:

Grumbling
Grunly
Grumling
Greenberg <-- Catskills translation
Grueling
Grumbly <-- My personal fav

Plus my name did not fit on my football Jersey in High School and College.

What's better is that I grew up with a friend who's last name is Schlegenhaft, now try THAT one.

Ok, pay up. You guys have had it easy.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Sep 26 2003, 09:00 PM
Post #28

Family

Member No.: 607

BTW it is pronounced Len ard Skin ard.

Kidding: GRUN - ling
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Sep 26 2003, 09:02 PM
Post #29

Shriveled member

Member No.: 271

Okay... I didn't even get into my last name... Ellzey

Sheez... try getting people to figure that out.

Really easy.... L-Z
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 26 2003, 09:14 PM
Post #30

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Garold,

When I called you on the way up to Maumee, I was really happy I got your voice mail and you said your name.
If you answered I wouldn't have known if it was pronounce like Gerald just spelled differently, or if you were really a Gary, but spelled it formally, etc....
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Sep 26 2003, 09:34 PM
Post #31

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

It's "Bruce".... no one ever gets it wrong. Dam, I have nothing to complain about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Sep 26 2003, 09:47 PM
Post #32

Barberdave

Member No.: 135

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Fiid:
Don't expect to much of them at Arby's, your lucky to get the right change. If the cash regester doesn't figger it for them you are S.O.L. Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)
+Quote Post
Carl
post Sep 26 2003, 09:53 PM
Post #33

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163
Region Association: Northern California

Just to add a different dimension to the name game, and out of deference to Andy who must think he's the only one here who writes with an accent, how many of you had ancestors, parents, whatever, who came through Ellis Island? How long has your family been here?

C -> not K
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Sep 26 2003, 10:13 PM
Post #34

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819

Just move to North Carolina, they'l repronounce your name.

It's the only place that I ever lived that my first name had two sylables

Keee yun for Ken

There were three of us who had names that were pronounced the same

Jim Wells, Jim Wills, and Ken Wales

When the lady got on the microphone and said .....

Jee yum Weeylls, Jeeyum Way yells, Keee yun Wayls, please pick up on line 3.....

I got confused and ran in circles...... Then they took pity on me and got me my very own "Learn to Speak Southern" book (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

And then doctor.... when I lived in Spain as a kid, I was scarred for life by those darned locals who pronounced Wales as Wa-Lez, you know, like Gonzalez..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ken Wales (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
PatW
post Sep 26 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #35

Wassup?

Member No.: 317

Ya, Last name WARREN becomes WARNER.

About this time last year I went to pick up my prescription. When asked my name "Warren. Spelled W-A-R-R-E-N, I said. "Ok Mr. Warren I have that ready for you in a few minutes". I wondered of to read Road & Track.

About 10 minutes later the Bubble Head announces over the store PA that she has a prescription ready for Mr. Warner. I wanted to reach across the counter and choke her. I even spelled it out for and she still got it wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I should be used to it by now. I get called "Warner" a few times a year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

Pat
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Sep 26 2003, 10:23 PM
Post #36

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Tried having the name Britain and everyone who doesn't know you think that it is Britany and you are a girl...

Also, no one seems to know how to spell the country when you tell them that is how it is spelled. I have come across some very interesting attempts. At least my last name is Smith.

-Britain
+Quote Post
dgw
post Sep 26 2003, 10:33 PM
Post #37

Dennis Winter

Member No.: 106

Two pages of name screw ups. Who woulda thunk it.

Winter is pretty easy you would think. I always get "how do you spell that?"

Ummmmmm..........................

Reminds me on the old routine "Whats your name Bob, starts with a B, ends with a B"

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 26 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #38

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(PatW @ Sep 26 2003, 08:19 PM)
Ya, Last name WARREN becomes WARNER.

About this time last year I went to pick up my prescription. When asked my name "Warren. Spelled W-A-R-R-E-N, I said. "Ok Mr. Warren I have that ready for you in a few minutes". I wondered of to read Road & Track.

About 10 minutes later the Bubble Head announces over the store PA that she has a prescription ready for Mr. Warner. I wanted to reach across the counter and choke her. I even spelled it out for and she still got it wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I should be used to it by now. I get called "Warner" a few times a year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

Pat

That's funny! My name is Richard but I'm Often refered to as "DICK!" As in You DICK! Hey What can I say, My mother named me right... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Sep 26 2003, 11:53 PM
Post #39

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

Having a name that telemarketers can't pronounce is a great boon. I too just say there is no one here by that name.

DeVries is pronounced Dee Vreeze (rhymes with freeze), with emphasis on the second sylable. Like all names from Germanic languages, the second vowel makes the sound. If I was in the Netherlands they'd pronounce the V like an F and the s wouldn't have a z sound to it, plus the r gets rolled. I've tried that, but nobody in the U.S. can get anywhere close to saying it correctly.

DeVrize is the most common mispronounciation and a lot of people think I must be related to Devry Institute. We've also gotten
Deliveries
Devorcee
DeVires

These days the worst of it is at our local Safeway grocery store where the clerks are required by management to thank you by name. Never mind that this is insulting to the customer, they think it is good customer service. A sincere "thank you for shopping with us" would be just fine.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Sep 27 2003, 12:01 AM
Post #40

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Carl @ Sep 26 2003, 08:53 PM)
Just to add a different dimension to the name game, and out of deference to Andy who must think he's the only one here who writes with an accent, how many of you had ancestors, parents, whatever,  who came through Ellis Island?  How long has your family been here?

My grandparents came through Ellis Island in the early 1900's. My wife's great-grandparents came in the 1890's. All came from the Netherlands. I've been able to find records for them at the Ellis Island, including the ship registry - really cool.

I discovered through the ship registry that the only grandparent I knew was not actually named Henry. That wasn't surprising - I figured it was Hendrick or something like that. Turns out it was Henderth. Since my parents saw fit to deprive me of a middle name, one of these days I'm gonna to through the process of taking Henderth as my official middle name.

The unfortunate thing is that by the 3rd generation, we have lost the ability to speak our native language. Our grandparents were pretty set on their kids becoming Americans so English was the rule. I don't think it ever occurred to them how much is lost when you throw away that part of your past.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 10:20 AM