Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Headlight surrounds (not bezels), Painted black over white!!!
Pat Garvey
post May 26 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

OK, here's another one!

In my stash of used parts I have a set of white headlight surrounds that some idiot painted glossy black! Don't think it's very good paint, since there are some ships w/white showing. But, they aren't damaged & I'd like to try to strip them of all paint, back to white.

Should I throw them away, or is there some magic goo that will remove the paint & not damage what's underneath? Hate to pitch any kind of spares, but they're worthless like this & I'm certain that original white surrounds have long since gone bye-bye for availability.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post May 26 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 731

I would try some rattle can paint stripper and see if that will remove it in short order. Have a bucket of water and a stiff bristled brush ready. If you were going to throw it away anyway, why not give it a try?
Don
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 26 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

How about soaking them in white vinegar for a week?? wont hurt the plastic that way.
+Quote Post
Lou W
post May 27 2006, 09:45 AM
Post #4

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

You might want to try "Goof Off" graffiti remover.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 27 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #5

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

OK, vinegar it is. Will try this "for a week" & see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll try Goof-Off. If that doeesn't work, there should be nothing left, so problem goes away.

Vinegar, huh? Will tell you how it worked next weekend. Wierd!!
+Quote Post
Lou W
post May 27 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #6

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 27 2006, 05:44 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

OK, vinegar it is. Will try this "for a week" & see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll try Goof-Off. If that doeesn't work, there should be nothing left, so problem goes away.

Vinegar, huh? Will tell you how it worked next weekend. Wierd!!

5% acidity in Vinegar, it works great on cleaning nuts and bolts.
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post May 28 2006, 09:58 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Pat,
When you're finished with the vinager, add a little of any crankcase drippings you may have clinging to the underside of your car, and voila.....a nice salad dressing(oil & vinegar). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 28 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 28 2006, 07:58 AM) *

Pat,
When you're finished with the vinager, add a little of any crankcase drippings you may have clinging to the underside of your car, and voila.....a nice salad dressing(oil & vinegar). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

Not a bad idea! I have a cat litter pan collecting oil under the drivers' side right now; could throw in the vinegar, some tomatoes, lettuce & croutons & slosh it all around. Maybe a dash of brake fluid to liven it up a bit - Good Eats! Though I might end up like Snots from Christmas Vacation, after he drank a case of Penzzoil!

One of the surrounds has been soaking in vinegar for about 18 hours now & I don't see any signs of it working, but I'll give more time.
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 28 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

LOL @ salad dressing. Works real nice for cleaning up rusted parts, maybe it will work for paint removal too. Worth a shot aye? One of friends bleeched his faded white surrounds and they turned out quite nice.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 28 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(tod914 @ May 28 2006, 09:37 AM) *

LOL @ salad dressing. Works real nice for cleaning up rusted parts, maybe it will work for paint removal too. Worth a shot aye? One of friends bleeched his faded white surrounds and they turned out quite nice.

The bleach thing sounds interesting. My white ones are not-so-white from age. Think I'll try that with them. I'll start with about a 10% solution & see how it works. Thanks for the tip.
+Quote Post
914runnow
post May 29 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,948
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 26 2006, 01:42 PM) *

OK, here's another one!

In my stash of used parts I have a set of white headlight surrounds that some idiot painted glossy black! Don't think it's very good paint, since there are some ships w/white showing. But, they aren't damaged & I'd like to try to strip them of all paint, back to white.

Should I throw them away, or is there some magic goo that will remove the paint & not damage what's underneath? Hate to pitch any kind of spares, but they're worthless like this & I'm certain that original white surrounds have long since gone bye-bye for availability.

Brush on Orange Gel Paint stripper from Wally World......Use the LEAST caustic..
Which is the furniture one...>CitriStrip<..Brush on and leave it 10 or so mins
and remove with a semi coarse steel wool..repeat as needed..And use gloves!!!
Have done 6 to 7 sets like that..Just keep an eye on it as it can start to melt it..
Spaced one day and left it on for an hour..They still look ok!!!
BTW if the white is stained from years of use..The stipper will not bleach that out..
I have about 4 or 6 sets of whites...of those some turn to a sleight beige..
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 29 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(914runnow @ May 29 2006, 11:14 AM) *

OK, here's another one!

Brush on Orange Gel Paint stripper from Wally World......Use the LEAST caustic..
Have done 6 to 7 sets like that..Just keep an eye on it as it can start to melt it..
BTW if the white is stained from years of use..The stipper will not bleach that out..

Ummm, not wanting to sound like a fool (hard for me), but Wally World? Sounds like another "vacation" movie. Or, do you mean Wall Mart? See, I'm not as stupid as I tell myself!
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 29 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #13

By the way, almost 48 hrs in the tub-o-vinegar & ain't nuthin' going on. That black paint is still shiny & chipped. I said I'd give it a week, but beginning to get impatient.
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 29 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Ahh, well it worked well on cleaning up rust.. maybe go with one of the other guys solutions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
914runnow
post May 30 2006, 08:50 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,948
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 29 2006, 02:54 PM) *

OK, here's another one!

Ummm, not wanting to sound like a fool (hard for me), but Wally World? Sounds like another "vacation" movie. Or, do you mean Wall Mart? See, I'm not as stupid as I tell myself!

YEPPERZ..Wal Mart..Just did not want a politcal backlash. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
Good rust remover there too....Krud Kutter 16oz is in that same row!!
Purple Power Degreaser in the automotive products row is awesome..
I have tried the bleach trick on the lens shrouds..(white)never got it to work
to get them white...A BIG bucket of 409 at full strength soaked for two days has helped a bit..Costco on that..(I put the shrouds through the dishwasher first)
There is my Public Service Message for the day..
:Let us know how it turns out...
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 30 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(914runnow @ May 30 2006, 06:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 29 2006, 02:54 PM) *

OK, here's another one!

YEPPERZ..Wal Mart..Just did not want a politcal backlash. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
Good rust remover there too....Krud Kutter 16oz is in that same row!!
Purple Power Degreaser in the automotive products row is awesome..
I have tried the bleach trick on the lens shrouds..(white)never got it to work
to get them white...A BIG bucket of 409 at full strength soaked for two days has helped a bit..Costco on that..(I put the shrouds through the dishwasher first)
There is my Public Service Message for the day..
:Let us know how it turns out...

OK, 72 hours in vinegar may work for nuts & bolts but it had zero effect on the bezels (I know, I was supposed to gine it a week, but I'm impatient). There was some minor bubbling in that paint, but scraping that just got down to the primer coat - the PO must have been serious about making them black. If they were painted bahia red I'd keep them for fun parts.

I'm off tomorrow, so I'm on to "Wally World" (I love that!) for Citri Strip - will let you know how it works.

+Quote Post
markb
post Jun 6 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #17

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

How about an update?
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 6 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(markb @ Jun 6 2006, 05:53 PM) *

How about an update?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Well, here's the update......nothing! As you know, the vinegar thing didn't do anything. Went to my local Wally World, which looks worse than Dresden when we were finished with it. No Orange Gel -vitually nothing in paint strippers. The 16 year old kid with the worst case of acne I've ever senn suggested I use acetone "cause it'll eat anything off of everything". Of course that would also melt all of the plasctice off of the headlight surrounds, leaving me with a blob of goo.

Been too busy the last few days, but am going to Home Despot tomorrow - surely they have something. Second worse case, I sand them down. Worst case, I pitch them. They haven't been usable for over 15 years anyway & no loss.

Pat G

+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 7 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

I wonder what would happen if you brushed a little ............BRAKE FLUID on them? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Considering what it does to normal auto finishes, I'd think it would take the paint off right away. Maybe even melt the plastic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) That way, you won't have to worry about it any longer and we can all go on with our lives and not take up so much time and computer space on 914 h/l surrounds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 7 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #20

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'll tell you what won't work...

Acetone
Goof Off
Brake Fluid

I tried all the above on my white surrounds. Goof Off and Acetone works but, you'll be there for a couple weeks scrubbing away and, correct, Acetone will damage the plastic as you get right down to the final layers. Brake fluid may work if you let it sit long enough, it seemed to have a minor effect. It seems like the paint really bonds to the plastic.

One thing I haven't tried is plastic media or walnut... might work but, I'd be willing to bet that will scar the plastic in one way or the other. The best bet "may" be to find a paint that would match more closely. I got started on this venture because I had some white surrounds that were painted black. They did a damn good job and it was hard to even tell...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:05 AM