Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Headlight surrounds (not bezels), Painted black over white!!!
Pat Garvey
post Jun 7 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #21

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 7 2006, 05:04 PM) *

I wonder what would happen if you brushed a little ............BRAKE FLUID on them? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Considering what it does to normal auto finishes, I'd think it would take the paint off right away. Maybe even melt the plastic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) That way, you won't have to worry about it any longer and we can all go on with our lives and not take up so much time and computer space on 914 h/l surrounds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
"computer space"? You just wait my friend....your resto hasn't even started! We'll see how much "computer space" YOU waste then. For now, I'll beat my horse!

To the non-club: Paul & I go back more than 30 years, so I'm just busting his chops. No meanenss here. Thought I'd say that before the flames began. PG

"computer space"?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 7 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

"No meanenss here." Why would you stop now? You've been "mean" for 30 years. And yeah, my computer space is filling up fast with h/l surround paint removal posts. Jeez, everytime I go to the Concours Forum.....ANOTHER h/l surround post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) Go to another part, Pat! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 7 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 7 2006, 07:03 PM) *

"No meanenss here." Why would you stop now? You've been "mean" for 30 years. And yeah, my computer space is filling up fast with h/l surround paint removal posts. Jeez, everytime I go to the Concours Forum.....ANOTHER h/l surround post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) Go to another part, Pat! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boid.gif)
Umm, you COULD click on something else! Gee, sorry to be using up your "computer space", whatever that is!
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 7 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #24

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Pat have you tried putting some "Gimp" on them... I heard that stuff works miracles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 7 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 7 2006, 08:59 PM) *

Pat have you tried putting some "Gimp" on them... I heard that stuff works miracles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

OK, I'm stupid! What's "Gimp", or am I being sucked in again?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 7 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #26

PMB Performance

or am I being sucked in again?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Why... I never! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 7 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 7 2006, 09:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 7 2006, 08:59 PM) *

OK, I'm stupid! What's "Gimp", or am I being sucked in again?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
OK, I DID get sucked in...sometimes my fingers are quicker than my brain. Most times, actually. Temporarily fogot that thread. Good one Eric! Ya got me!
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 7 2006, 07:06 PM
Post #28

PMB Performance

Gimp... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 7 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 7 2006, 09:06 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
OK, I'm slow, but I'm.......old, yeah, that's it, old! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 8 2006, 07:47 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(914runnow @ May 29 2006, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 26 2006, 01:42 PM) *

OK, here's another one!

In my stash of used parts I have a set of white headlight surrounds that some idiot painted glossy black! Don't think it's very good paint, since there are some ships w/white showing. But, they aren't damaged & I'd like to try to strip them of all paint, back to white.

Should I throw them away, or is there some magic goo that will remove the paint & not damage what's underneath? Hate to pitch any kind of spares, but they're worthless like this & I'm certain that original white surrounds have long since gone bye-bye for availability.

Brush on Orange Gel Paint stripper from Wally World......Use the LEAST caustic..
Which is the furniture one...>CitriStrip<..Brush on and leave it 10 or so mins
and remove with a semi coarse steel wool..repeat as needed..And use gloves!!!
Have done 6 to 7 sets like that..Just keep an eye on it as it can start to melt it..
Spaced one day and left it on for an hour..They still look ok!!!
BTW if the white is stained from years of use..The stipper will not bleach that out..
I have about 4 or 6 sets of whites...of those some turn to a sleight beige..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Found some CitriStrip in aerosol form today. Did a 45 minute test section on the back of one of them & it came off like butter. Won't have the time to do the whole thing until Sunday, but it looks like I may come up with some nice spare parts. Thanks for the tip!
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 13 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #31

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
Finished w/number one. Used Citristrip aerosol (would recommend brush on) and some elbow grease after the paint was removed. Think they'll be OK for spares, but we'll see how number 2 comes out. tried the bleach thing - no effect.

Were these things ever really "white"? My orig's, after 34 years, are what I'd call ivory. Don't remember if they were really white when new - anyone have some new ones to settle this?

Number 2 is about to undergo "macroabrasion". Even bought another set of these things, because you never know.......

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Jun 13 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 731

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 13 2006, 05:04 PM) *

Finished w/number one. Used Citristrip aerosol (would recommend brush on) and some elbow grease after the paint was removed. Think they'll be OK for spares, but we'll see how number 2 comes out. tried the bleach thing - no effect.

Were these things ever really "white"? My orig's, after 34 years, are what I'd call ivory. Don't remember if they were really white when new - anyone have some new ones to settle this?

Number 2 is about to undergo "macroabrasion". Even bought another set of these things, because you never know.......

I agree that they are not pure white. More of an off white. I used a paint stripper 10 years ago on my resto. Came out good. Painted them in off white or a light egg shell using a rattle can. Can't tell the difference. I'm happy.

Don
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 13 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jun 13 2006, 10:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 13 2006, 05:04 PM) *

I agree that they are not pure white. More of an off white. I used a paint stripper 10 years ago on my resto. Came out good. Painted them in off white or a light egg shell using a rattle can. Can't tell the difference. I'm happy.

Don

Cool! Then they'll make excellent spares. Did you use a flat or satin finish?
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Jun 14 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 1,948
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 8 2006, 05:47 PM) *

OK, here's another one!

In my stash of used parts I have a set of white headlight surrounds that some idiot painted glossy black! Don't think it's very good paint, since there are some ships w/white showing. But, they aren't damaged & I'd like to try to strip them of all paint, back to white.

Should I throw them away, or is there some magic goo that will remove the paint & not damage what's underneath? Hate to pitch any kind of spares, but they're worthless like this & I'm certain that original white surrounds have long since gone bye-bye for availability.

Brush on Orange Gel Paint stripper from Wally World......Use the LEAST caustic..
Have done 6 to 7 sets like that..Just keep an eye on it as it can start to melt it..
BTW if the white is stained from years of use..The stipper will not bleach that out..

Found some CitriStrip in aerosol form today. Did a 45 minute test section on the back of one of them & it came off like butter. Won't have the time to do the whole thing until Sunday, but it looks like I may come up with some nice spare parts. Thanks for the tip!

Congrats!!!!! They Look Great!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 14 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(914runnow @ Jun 14 2006, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 8 2006, 05:47 PM) *

OK, here's another one!

Congrats!!!!! They Look Great!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

THEY are different! Because of this I'm starting a new topic. Really hate to belabor this thing, but I'm now confused - see new thread.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 09:58 PM