Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1974 2.0L - Rough Idle/low idle hunting
Rand
post Jun 5 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #21

Cross Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

If you pull the MPS hose off while it's running, does it change? If not, the hose or the MPS is completely shot. Pulling the vacuum hose off the MPS will cause it to run full rich. Which at an idle will cause it to drop, stall, and stumble over the super rich mixture.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
srb7f
post Jun 5 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 2,077
Region Association: None

You need a new or rebuilt MPS if it doesn't hold vacuum. I just replaced a leaky one, and the throttle response is much more smooth and the engine develops full power the way it should.
+Quote Post
frankc
post Jun 7 2006, 09:07 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,820

I did retest the MPS last night and it did not hold any vacuum (O Hg).

I know I need to replace it - but the ultimate question is : Will this impact my ability to idle? In other words, should it still be able to idle at 900-1000 rpm, but just have a rich mixture?

According to the D-Jetronic troubleshooting guide - if the throttle body idle screw does not alter the idle - then it is probably a lean mixture, timing, etc... . So if the MPS is blown - it should be running rich - correct?

Perhaps, I have a compound problem.

Frank

QUOTE(srb7f @ Jun 5 2006, 01:24 PM) *

You need a new or rebuilt MPS if it doesn't hold vacuum. I just replaced a leaky one, and the throttle response is much more smooth and the engine develops full power the way it should.

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 7 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #24

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

too rich at idle and the engine bogs due to the too rich mix.

Also how is your engine vacuum at idle?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 7 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #25

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

a bad mps will make it run like a dog all the time.
Get a new one.
A blown MPS could and probably will create a pretty big vacuum leak...
So, the car will not idle, nor will it run correct anywhere , at any speed.

Rich
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 7 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #26

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yup, two prong problem.
1. your MPS is toast (I am sorry to hear that) so your mixture is crap (rich possibly)
2. Now you have a big vacuum leak into your air box after your TB so it leans it out.

Start with the MPS.....come back after that as you will not liekly find/fix anything else with such a major problem looming.
+Quote Post
frankc
post Jun 15 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 5,820

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Update - June 15th:

The MPS on my car was blown. I replaced it this evening (thanks Ron) with one that tested to spec. The car's performance improved (no backfire!), but it did not cure the hunting at low idle. Adjusting the idle screw did not affect the idle speed.

Next, I hooked up a vacuum gauge to the throttle body (did not tee it - just blocked off the hose going to the diagphram (retard side) of the distributor. I measured 13.5 inches of vacuum - so that is a little low. Need 15 inches - correct?

However, the car now idled and I could adjust the idle screw, which adjusted the speed to 950 without a problem. It stayed rock steady at 950. Connect the vacuum hose from the dizzy to the throttle body - the car low idle hunts/dies again. Removed and blocked off - 950 rpm.

I take the Mighty Vac this morning - start the car and pull 15Hg of vacuum on the diaphram. The car idles at 950rpm, but I notice there is leakdown to about 5 Hg within 60 seconds. Even after leakdown the car idles. Recoonect the vacuum hose from the throttle body to the retard side of the dizzy - car hunts/dies.

So - is the problem the dizzy or just the Vacuum Diagphram? I will recheck the timing to see if I set static timing correctly at TDC or the 7.5 BTDC mark. Timing was dead on - 27 deg BTDC - but I will double check. and Dwell at 48.

Question: How to test the diaphram? Pull 15HG and see if it holds it for x minutes?

Looks like I still may have a small vacuum leak somewhere else, unless I am measuring it wrong.

So progress. The MPS needed replacing, but the idle is still the same - although no longer burning rich.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 7 2006, 11:12 AM) *

Yup, two prong problem.
1. your MPS is toast (I am sorry to hear that) so your mixture is crap (rich possibly)
2. Now you have a big vacuum leak into your air box after your TB so it leans it out.

Start with the MPS.....come back after that as you will not liekly find/fix anything else with such a major problem looming.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Oct 5 2020, 11:47 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

I have a similar problem - was there any resolution with the Dist-Diaphragm?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 05:50 AM