Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who has a carpeted backwall behind seats ?, Need info on preparation for install ...
David_S
post Jun 6 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 680
Region Association: Southwest Region

Well, since I am fixing to start in the passenger compartment, I have been leaning towards a carpeted backwall instead of the thick pad that came with the car. Question is ....will the firewall carpet kits cover the brackets for the pad or do the brackets need to be removed? If they need to be removed, I would like to remove them before the primer gets sprayed. Any help appreciated !!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2-OH!
post Jun 6 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,253

Dave:

It's a personal preference thing, kinda like color, flares, wheels, etc...

I'm on #4 now and I have always prefered the look of carpet from floor to the window edge. I go to any upolstery shop and buy a plastic/rubber clamp on edging to trim the carpet at the top. I do not remove the brackets because the carpet covers them very well and they do not show.

The old board and bolsters always look like Fido's ass so I throw them away. To expensive to re-cover the board and make it look good. Usually, it is shot anyway.

I recover the bolster pads on either side and the one in the middle and attach to the carpet via velcro. The one I'm currently working on, I'm going to try something new.

I will use the old bolsters as a mold, cover in fiberglass, sand very smooth and cover with the same material I'm going to use on the door panels. That way, I can mount speakers at the top of the new bolsters where they can be heard. One set of speakers for the driver and one set for the passenger.

But in-between, will be clean new carpet.

Also, You may want to add padding, as it helps with the sound and heat.

Oh by the way, if you use this method, you will have to make your own carpet. The kits I have seen do not cover the firewall.

Good luck,

2-OH!
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Jun 6 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #3

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

Rick,
Do you have any pictures of your work?
+Quote Post
David_S
post Jun 6 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 680
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I would also like to see pics. I just didn't want to leave the brackets if they would show through the carpet, but didn't want to cut them off if I needed them for the carpet. Both backpads I have are crap, but the one in my 76 has been covered in a cloth to match the seats. I am thinking of that option also ....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Jun 6 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #5

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

Here's a couple pictures that I found, I don't know anything about the installation;

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Jun 6 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

I'm gonna do the back in leather. I just need to wait for more to come in. Ordered another hide. That should cover it. The previous owner had put in a access panel so what he did was just glue the carpet at the top near the window. That way he could flip it up and get to the front of the motor. I'm putting the leather down around the access panel instead.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jun 6 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #7

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

Felt:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 7 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #8

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

I tried putting some carpet on the firewall last night and it didn't go so well. In the middle of the firewall is the 'hump' that sits between the two seats. The problem I ran into was getting the carpet to sit nicely at the point where the hump transitions to the behind-the-seat area. I couldn't get the wrinkles out and had to make a couple cuts. I'll try to get some pictures after I finish it, but I wonder how people make fabric sit smoothly over compound curves. Is the fabric the cominating factor here? Does it need to be stretchy?

-Tony
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jun 7 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #9

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

Good question.

I wonder how auto carpet makers mold the carpet to fit around the transmission tunnel, footwells, etc. These carpet pieces are formed to fit. Must be some heat process with the right kind of carpet backing material.
+Quote Post
RON S.
post Jun 7 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #10

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724
Region Association: South East States

I like the pics of the back panels done in felt.

I am probably gonna go that route.It looks relly clean and simple.I just would be P.O'd if I showed up for a DE or some other track event and am told about it being a fire hazard.

Anyone ever had that happen?

Ron
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Jun 7 2006, 01:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Jun 7 2006, 09:11 AM) *

I tried putting some carpet on the firewall last night and it didn't go so well. In the middle of the firewall is the 'hump' that sits between the two seats. The problem I ran into was getting the carpet to sit nicely at the point where the hump transitions to the behind-the-seat area. I couldn't get the wrinkles out and had to make a couple cuts. I'll try to get some pictures after I finish it, but I wonder how people make fabric sit smoothly over compound curves. Is the fabric the cominating factor here? Does it need to be stretchy?

-Tony

They use heat guns I think. You heat up the carpet and it becomes shapable. Of course you heat it to much and it melts.

Leather yeah thats the way to go. Only problem there is you will see all the little clips and such underneith. Should have alot more progress on mine in 2 weeks.
+Quote Post
2-OH!
post Jun 7 2006, 03:27 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,253

Sorry guys, I got separated from my computer for a day...

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures because I thought no one would be interested in the way I did this process...However, I plan to show the latest version at Ventura show in September, If my painter gets off his ass and finishes his work soon...Some of the guys up in the Northwest saw the orange car before I sold it, so they might be able to testify...

Figure out how much you need...Measure and then re-Measure...

I go down to the discount carpet remnants places (yea, I know) and pick out a nice industrial, bullet proof, short loop (as close to original as possible or they usually have some of that real nice Blue Shag) carpet that you like and that matches the interior that you plan to use...Industrial carpet usually comes in 12 ft. width and has outstanding wear characteristics so just figure how much you need...

I do not cover behind the center bolster cushion just leave it with the rubber sound mat and padding if you want (keeps the sound down)...Leave enough on each side to be covered under the bolster... Start at the floorpan and firewall behind each seat position and fit the carpet straight up to the window...Cut, fit...Cut, fit...Cut, fit...Until you get it smooth...3M spray glue the top portion only so you can stitch the bottom later...

I then start at the front bulkhead and make one piece all the way back to the firewall...The next step requires you to stand on your head or you can stitch it before you glue...Once you have a good fit (Cut, fit...Cut, fit...Cut, fit...), Place the floor piece and the firewall piece face to face at the floor, firewall meeting seam and baseball stitch with large needle and black nylon heavy duty thread...When you lay the two flat, the thread does not show and it's a good seam...

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS PART IF YOUR DOOR OR TOP SEALS LEAK...I always fix that part first...

Then do the front, inner longs, pedal board, etc...The same way...When I'm finished everything is seamed and glued...

Again, caution, if your car is not water tight, you are inviting rust and mildew if you use this process...

There are those who say it can't be done, but I have had good luck with new seals and I wash my car once a week at least...

By the way, I paint everything with body color when I paint the car...(POR 15'd Floorpan), firewall, underdash, EVERYTHING...No rust gonna get me again...

2-OH!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 11:28 PM