Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Finally digging into repairs, need some advice, and a crash course on Solex Carbs
ninefourteener
post Jun 9 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #1

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 779

Good Afternoon everyone. I REFUSE to have my car towed up to Brad Mayeur just for a "tune up"... I WILL do it myself, and I WILL get it running as good as it used to.

I found this website that I've been "studying" up on Solexes:

http://www.356registry.org/tech/solex.html

Here's my problems:

Car runs rough..... when it gets hot, it barely runs at all.

Much of the gas is 6 months old (its been stored all winter)

Last time I drove it, I (yes, I'm a moron) drove it through an automatic car wash... it was October, and it was too damn cold to wash with a hose).... The engine died from the water. It immediately restarted, but ran like shit.

And it still does.

I can get it to idle smoothy, but once you accelerate, even while in neutral, the bogs out, or just stalls. If you're "driving", the car literally has almost no power. You have to turn the enging to 4500 RPMs, and s l o w l y let out the clutch... just to get it moving. The hotter the engine gets, the worse it gets.

Here's what my plans are:

Drain the tank, refill with good gas

Change the coil

Clean the jets in the carbs.... this is where I need help. I've never removed the jets from a Solex. I know the "retainers" are on the bottom, but the jets are on the opposite side??? Can someone explain this to me?

Any other suggstions?

Thanks everyone!!--Matt

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
ninefourteener   Finally digging into repairs, need some advice   Jun 9 2006, 09:05 AM
smontanaro   Did you put Stabil (gasoline stabilizer) in the ta...   Jun 9 2006, 09:23 AM
ninefourteener  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 03:48 AM