Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My First 914 and looking to stiffen it up for autocross!
Virgil
post Jun 19 2006, 06:51 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,182

I plan on doing something with the suspension at the very least, motor is fine for quite a while (easily at least 90-100hp to the wheels I would imagine, and thats all it needs to get going really. Got to love momentum racers because they teach you a lot.) I want to kill some of the body roll and make it a bit stiffer chassis wise. I am curious why there aren't any shock tower bars made for these cars? I am assuming the body panneling eliminates the possiblity of this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 19 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #22

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

No need to shock tower bracing
I was thinking what is legal for stock class 914.
You can modify the exhaust (a little)
you can put in Koni sports
You can run DOT R tires
You can add a front sway bar

That's a hell of a good place to run. Would you be competative against a 10th anniversary Miata?....... I don't know

Ya know seeing that the 914-6 got moved from A stock to B stock you would think the 914-4 would get a bump down too.
AND all 3 cars are listed together 1.7 1.8 2.0 Like that's fair.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 19 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #23

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Virgil @ Jun 19 2006, 05:51 AM) *

I plan on doing something with the suspension at the very least, motor is fine for quite a while (easily at least 90-100hp to the wheels I would imagine, and thats all it needs to get going really. Got to love momentum racers because they teach you a lot.) I want to kill some of the body roll and make it a bit stiffer chassis wise. I am curious why there aren't any shock tower bars made for these cars? I am assuming the body panneling eliminates the possiblity of this?

I think you will find that biggest flex point is the tub itself. I would focus my stiffening efforts there first.

+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jun 19 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #24

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) With pretty much what has been said...

Tires. Nothin' happens without 'em. I don't know what your beef with Kumho is, but right now, they're arguably the hottest tire out there for Autox.

Alignment. I put this at #2, if you don't have a good alignment to start with, you may go wild with suspension changes to adjust the handling, when all it needs is a good alignment. A proper alignment can make WORLDS of difference in how a car handles.

Suspension. Start with some good shocks and a front bar. If you need more, the sky can be the limit. I've found the following to offer a very good balance, and great handling.

21 mm torsion bars
22 mm front sway bar
200# coil springs

All the rest of the stuff seems over the top. But if you're willing to throw a mint and a half at the car, why use glass flares? Get steel flares. And why the welty short shifter? Get the Rennshifter. And if the motor was recently built, why get motor parts?

I say, tires, shocks, and alignment. Then go have fun for a while...

After that, then start looking at more go-fsat goodies...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Virgil
post Jun 20 2006, 02:32 AM
Post #25

Pretty much what I have seen is a 22m swaybar in the front and the rear left stock, more money saved in my opinion. Koni shocks allow for some play- sinched down for AX and loss(er, I like my cars tight, never mind the bumps) up for cruising.

I have seen the chassis stiffener kits for the tub, I am just concerned about the installation, I am assuming it must be sanded and welded in (der on the welded part) but I would bet that means having it repainted.

Also, found a good way to take car of the seats and making me stick in them, I know HKS makes a seatbelt lock for standard 3-point safety belts which helps hold u in place on a preadjusted lenght of seat belt, not a bucket seat but cheap and better then nothing.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jun 20 2006, 12:42 PM
Post #26

Long term tinkerer...

QUOTE(Virgil @ Jun 20 2006, 12:32 AM) *

Also, found a good way to take car of the seats and making me stick in them, I know HKS makes a seatbelt lock for standard 3-point safety belts which helps hold u in place on a preadjusted lenght of seat belt, not a bucket seat but cheap and better then nothing.

A harness bar and a set of real harnesses will do far more than any seatbelt lock. Tried 'em all. They're all lame, harnesses are the way to do it...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 20 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #27

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

For harness bars there needs to be a way to correctly tend the sholder belts. Stock seat make this difficult.
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jun 20 2006, 03:30 PM
Post #28

Long term tinkerer...

An "H" strap will do. Many sanctioning bodies will accept an "H" strap.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Virgil
post Jun 21 2006, 06:35 AM
Post #29

I will look in to the harness bar, anywere I can find the Koni's for a decent price?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 11:11 PM