Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wipers - How does the spray system operate?
hi4head
post Jun 17 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,819
Region Association: None

I can't find much of anything in my manuals or in searches as to how the wiper spray system actually functions. I know that the tank is supposed to get pressurized from the spare and that pulling on the wiper arm is supposed to allow the spray action to occur.

When I purchased the car it was missing the wiper fluid tank and cap. It did have the connections to the spare tire and the lines leading from the fluid tank. I've purchased a tank and a replacement cap with the short attaching hose.

I think that I've attached things correctly to the tire and have the tire pressure over 35 psi. However, I'm not getting any spray.

My wipers work fine, but no spray when I pull on the lever. Is the lever simply an actuator that opens a valve, or is the something electrical also going on?

Can someone explain how this system is supposed to work?

Thanks,

Chris

Note: Pictures have now been added in a later post that I've made.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 17 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

i believe it is strictly a mechanical valve... as the hose runs all the way into the dash... up to the column.....

it sucks when it leaks.....
+Quote Post
VWnDRAG
post Jun 17 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,850

Clogged spray jet?
Pull the hose off one of the spray jets and try again.
If you have pressure there, stick a needle in the jet and try to free up the blockage. Car wax, water deposits, etc, can clog up the jets. Especially if they hadn't been used in a long time.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jun 17 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #4

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

If they leak your lap gets wet........

You probably have a blockage in the line.....work backwards (from the lever) and blow compressed air thru it to check.......disconect the lines at the squirters too and blow them out
+Quote Post
Rrrockhound
post Jun 17 2006, 01:05 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,213

Don't leave it hooked up to the tire if it doesn't spray. That pressure will want to go somewhere, and odds are it will end up leaking all over your floor while you're out of town for the week so you don't find out 'til days later. Ask me know I know.
+Quote Post
The Kelzer
post Jun 17 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,077

QUOTE(Rrrockhound @ Jun 17 2006, 09:05 AM) *

Don't leave it hooked up to the tire if it doesn't spray. That pressure will want to go somewhere, and odds are it will end up leaking all over your floor while you're out of town for the week so you don't find out 'til days later. Ask me know I know.

You mean to tell me these things actually worked in some cars....WOW !

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif)
KK
+Quote Post
Flat VW
post Jun 17 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #7

Illegal Soapbox Derby Racecar

Member No.: 3,105

POORLY
+Quote Post
olav
post Jun 17 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #8

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 34

mine uses an electric pump...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
hi4head
post Jun 17 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #9

Thanks for the input guys. This gives me a couple of ideas on troubleshooting.

But based on some of the comments and other searches that I've done makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and install a small electric pump along with an new lever with the wiper switch or put a small small push-button switch to activate an electric pump.

Again, thanks for the input. Hopefully after I know more about this car I'll be able to provide input to others as well.

Chris

And Happy Father's Day to those of you with kids. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rrrockhound
post Jun 17 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,213

QUOTE(hi4head @ Jun 17 2006, 07:34 PM) *

But based on some of the comments and other searches that I've done makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and install a small electric pump along with an new lever with the wiper switch or put a small small push-button switch to activate an electric pump.

Floating around somewhere, maybe on the Bird Board, there's an article about swapping in a motor and switch from a 924/944. It's supposed to be pretty simple. I don't take mine out in the kind of weather where I need to wash the glass, so I don't worry about it.
+Quote Post
evan
post Jun 17 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #11

Little Bean

Member No.: 4,767

Hey how hard is it to get at the hose where it connects to the lever in the steering column? Filled mine with fluid and had it leaking out when turning and all over my foot. Does not squirt out at windows at all. Figure I have a leak at / in the column.

e

QUOTE(Rrrockhound @ Jun 17 2006, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(hi4head @ Jun 17 2006, 07:34 PM) *

Floating around somewhere, maybe on the Bird Board, there's an article about swapping in a motor and switch from a 924/944. It's supposed to be pretty simple. I don't take mine out in the kind of weather where I need to wash the glass, so I don't worry about it.

+Quote Post
hi4head
post Jun 18 2006, 05:58 AM
Post #12

After doing some more checking, I think that I've got a situation similar to Evan.

At first my washer tank cap wasn't working and the tank wouldn't pressurize. I played with it and now get tank pressure. Now I've discerned that there is a leak at the steering column; I can hear the leak and was able to get a finger through the dashboard holes to feel the air and the small amount of fluid that had been in the line.

I guess that I'm glad that I didn't have the tank full and end up with a quart or so of wiper fluid on my floor.

This morning I'm trying to get access to the steering column switch and see if it is just a cracked line.

There's not too many Father's Days when I can simply play with my car. The kids are all grown and moved and my wife's down in FL helping her parents move back in to their hurricane ravaged condo. Most of yesterday was spent working on my truck and the yard -- today I can play (and maybe have a beer or two). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Chris
+Quote Post
hi4head
post Jun 18 2006, 08:37 AM
Post #13

I've torn into the system and have taken some pictures that might help some others with their original systems (if anyone besides me hasn't already switched to an electric pump).

After the knee pad is removed, there is a small opening from which the washer lines and the 'barbs' can sort-of be accessed.

This first picture shows the opening and the two washer lines. The bottom line (fully black) is the line coming from the pressurized washer tank. The line with the orange stripe goes on the top barb and eventually goes to the spray nozzles. I've disconnected one of the electrical connectors for more access.
Attached Image
The second picture shows the feed line removed and shows the barb from the wiper system controller.
Attached Image
I've managed to temporarily get the shortened feed line back on the barb, but is is tough going without removing the mechanism.

Chris
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 12:55 AM