Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Audi win at Le Mans, TDI
KaptKaos
post Jun 18 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #1

Family

Group: Members
Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Audi Site

Pretty amazing if you ask me. Glad to see a manufacturer "pushing the envelope."

Your thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 13)
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 18 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Audi has a tradition of pushing the envelope. They ran production bodied AWD cars in SCCA Trans Am and IMSA before Jack Roush (running tube framed "funny cars" for Ford whined so much they banned them. They ran A4 AWD cars in the British touring car championships until they were similarly banned. They came back the following season with FWD cars and still smoked the competition. The R8 might just be the winningest car in history, and the R10 might just keep the streak going. I dunno if they did it this year, but they were going after the 917s mileage and average speed records, done when the course had NO chicanes. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Jun 18 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #3

Family

Hate that chicane in the Mulsanne (sp?). Maybe we should be looking for a diesel alternative for the type IV?

Its amazing to me that with all the talk of alternative fuels, only one manufacturer is racing them. Racing improves the breed, as they say. If we want to kick the mid-east oil habit, this is the way to start. I say great job to Audi!!
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 18 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #4

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Le Mans is no longer at the sharp end of the stick in their upper classes....in fact, there is no sharp end of the stick anywhere in the prototype classes and I see no end in sight.
GT 2 & 3 is still some good racing.

Once again with no competition, Audi wins by spending a lot of money.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Jun 18 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #5

Family

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 18 2006, 08:52 PM) *

Le Mans is no longer at the sharp end of the stick in their upper classes....in fact, there is no sharp end of the stick anywhere in the prototype classes and I see no end in sight.
GT 2 & 3 is still some good racing.

Once again with no competition, Audi wins by spending a lot of money.

Fair enough, but its still a diesel and they did more laps than any other victor before. So they were not racing against the field, but against history.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 18 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #6

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jun 18 2006, 09:13 PM) *

Fair enough, but its still a diesel and they did more laps than any other victor before. So they were not racing against the field, but against history.

Hay, it's a good car, but you have to race more than history before it becomes a great car. 2006 technology defeats 1971 technolody...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif)
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Jun 18 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 178

A victory is measured by the quality of the competition, there are no serious cars in LMP-1 other than the audis.
When a real competitor steps up to the plate, then the Audi victories will have meaning. Reportedly Peugeot will be entering next year, FIA will make sure it's a level field (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

BTW, the total number of miles in the race today (by the R-10) was less than was run in the 1971 race, run and won by the 917. The laps today are shorter than they used to be.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jun 18 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Hence my comments in another thread. Audi will continue unchallenged until someone (Porsche, Honda etc) step up and make LMP an interesting class. The Audi show is getting old.

No I don't want to ban the Audis, I just want to see some other manufacture step up and bring their a-game.
+Quote Post
newto914s
post Jun 18 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,663

I heard that Peugeot is working on a diesel race car too. Race history and competition aside. Audi is really going to change what people think of diesels(slow & smelly, thank you mercedes 240D (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
When you read about that V12 power plant it's really remakable. 1,100 Newton meters, power band between 3000-5000 rpms. Compared to 12,000-15,000 for its gas powered competition.
I'd love to do a TDI convertion on my 914. Over 200 ft/lb of torque and easily get 50mpg, not considering all the mods you could do to get the HP up to 200 ponies.
I'm glad Audi is pushing the diesel envelope.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Jun 19 2006, 12:19 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

Pescarolo outfinished the second audi entrant.
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Jun 19 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #11

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 74
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I love the tech behind the audi! SO great to see R&D winning races with out of the box thinking.
I think that only 8 cars in class is a real bummer. Maybe LMP-1 has outlasted its usefulness? It seems one of the bigtime marquees show up to win for a year or two then take the cup and use it for advertising for the next ten years.
Oh well, a great effort a Diesel to come back to the forfront of tech after all these years...
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jun 19 2006, 04:26 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Sorry, but I wasn't too impressed with the Audi's

Specially if you look how well Pescarolo and Racing For Holland did (Audi probably spent more on catering for the event than these guys get to spend in an entire season on everything)

Heck, teams like that don't even have the money to BUY their engines, they RENT them...

Mayor bummer that Alex Yoong crashed the RFH Dome about 12 hours into the race. They had serious podium potential this year

+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 19 2006, 05:27 AM
Post #13

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Just like any other team in any other sport.
the team with the most money wins. USPS in the Tour de France, Yes there was Lance but the supporting cast was the cream of the crop and NOT cheap.
every Super Bowl champion as far back as I can remember has maxed out the salary cap and put them selves fo far in the hole they can only win 1 maybe 2 years in a row.
Audi should have won they spent the most money 18,000 racing miles for a shake down of the cars??????

However I do like the idea of the power plant WITH it's technology and special fuel to go in a lite car. NOT a heavy weight modern car.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 19 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #14

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 18 2006, 09:23 PM) *

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jun 18 2006, 09:13 PM) *

Hay, it's a good car, but you have to race more than history before it becomes a great car. 2006 technology defeats 1971 technolody...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif)

EVERY winner races against both history AND what's out there now. The 917 Juggernaut was the result of a major infusion of cubic money. The Ford effort was the same, as was Mc Laren's and a host of others. Ya got the best engineers, the most motivated drivers, constructors, and crew, as well as really deep pockets, your odds for winning are greatly enhanced. They also far outstripped their own previous car. The 2nd place car was running 2 seconds a lap slower, and simply didn't have a chance as long as the leader didn't break. The other Audi spent a long time in the pits and still did well. It would appear that Porsche didn't bother to show up, reducing the chances of a better contest. The Cap'n
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 03:16 AM