Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Turbo tie rod install question
Joe Ricard
post Oct 3 2003, 01:15 PM
Post #1

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

Does anyone have a good procedure for changing out the old stock tie rods wit the turbo version. I am replacing because both rod ends have slack in them. both boots have tears and of course the rubber bushings are really worn. So I figured it is a wash for the upgrade.

Is it better to take out the whole rack or can it be done from under the car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 11)
736conver
post Oct 3 2003, 01:31 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736
Region Association: None

Mine was already out when I did mine and it was great to have the leverage with the ends. Dont know if you can get the same effect with it in the car.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 3 2003, 01:35 PM
Post #3

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

I found it easier to take out the rack but I'm able to get to the steering wheel shaft pretty easy on my car. You may not be able to do this too easy on a stock car. Working under the dash is no fun.

But the tie rod ends are changed all the time so I wouldn't think you'd need to remove the rack to do the job.

Paul
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Oct 3 2003, 01:42 PM
Post #4

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

I put mine on when I installed the 911 front end, but I can't imagine having to pull the rack to do it. You DO need a very thin, 4-5mm, 32mm open end wrench to tighten the rack side rod ends. DO NOT BELIEVE ANYONE who says you can do this job without the proper tool as you cannot torque the new rodswithout them. If you "Shadetree" here, YOU WILL DIE . You can grind down a cheap wrench or buy the Smartcamber Products "Special Tool" from the catalog stores. It also has the hook spanner to remove the old inners, but a hammer and chisel work just as well.
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Oct 3 2003, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Member No.: 16

PLEASE expand on this??

I replaced mine, in the car, with the Turbo kit and didn't think it was anything too hard or unsual about the swap.

If I forgot something or didn't do someting correct I would like you know ASAP.

Are you talking about the connection of the tie rod to the steering rack? Anyway to check the torque on this? I think I just used a common wrench to tighten it. I did this over a year ago so some things are fuzzy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cheers and thanks
Kerry
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 3 2003, 02:03 PM
Post #6

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(John Jentz @ Oct 3 2003, 11:42 AM)
You DO need a very thin, 4-5mm, 32mm open end wrench to tighten the rack side rod ends.

amazingly enough, the set of VW/356 wheel bearing adjustment wrenches includes a very thin 32mm wrench - and here i thought i was going to have to buy something new, when actually something old will work out fine ! (it's an ordinary KD Tool set, from the FLAPS pegboard...)
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Oct 3 2003, 02:09 PM
Post #7

There is only a 4-5mm wide wrenching space avaliable on the milled flats of the inner rod end between the BIG washer and where the flat ends. There is no way to get a normal, unmodified wrench in there. I would also use a little Locktite Blue. I just pulled until the correct shade of red appeared on my face (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) . I have heard of people using Channelocks, pipe wrenches and the like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) , bad, bad. If you want to torque it, you'll need to modify a crowsfoot.
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Oct 3 2003, 02:13 PM
Post #8

[quote=ArtechnikA,Oct 3 2003, 12:03 PM] [/QUOTE]
amazingly enough, the set of VW/356 wheel bearing adjustment wrenches includes a very thin 32mm wrench - and here i thought i was going to have to buy something new, when actually something old will work out fine ! (it's an ordinary KD Tool set, from the FLAPS pegboard...) [/quote]
True, now if I could only find mine, left it around here about 30 years ago...............
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 3 2003, 02:17 PM
Post #9

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Man this is still the best site going. Thanks for the advice. Will post the out come as soon as I finish. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Oct 3 2003, 03:04 PM
Post #10

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

I would recommend using threadlock on this one - you don't want these coming out. I used a gas wrench on them, and I am confident I got enough torque, although this would not have sufficed if I hadn't had it in the bench vice at the time.

I tried to do mine in the car, but I just couldn't get the old buggers to budge with the rack in the car, so I pulled it. I took the liberty of repacking the steering rack with moly grease at the same time, and cleaning things up a little bit.

It's not that hard to get out - all you have to do is unhook the cv joint under the dash.

Fiid.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Oct 3 2003, 03:15 PM
Post #11

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

actually - you know what - I think I torqued them with a 2 foot black-pipe wrench.

Fiid. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 6 2003, 03:20 PM
Post #12

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Went pretty smooth. Took a mighty wrench and both feet to break passenger side loose form the rack.
Thanks Ya'll
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:29 PM