Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How I put new speakers in the original grills, Step by step with pictures
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 2 2019, 06:42 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

So I am thinking about moving my tweeters and a pair of small midrange speakers to this location, and then replacing the 6.5s in my doors (hate the look, but that's for another day, and I do like tunes).

Any audio experts have some thoughts on what kind of MDF (or?) I should use for the board? I may add one more pair of tweeters where the current ones are in the doors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) or get more creative in hiding them. We'll see...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 4 2021, 11:04 AM
Post #22

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

@Horizontally-opposed Pete ABS or cellular PVC, think PVC trim, HPDE, or Acrylic.

But the choice really comes down to what you are doing. Cellular PVC does not hold threads well with out an insert.

Acrylic can be tapped and has a good solvent. = $$$. But this is the best choice for speaker adapters, just costs more.

ABS - Drill and Tap, heatable to bend, and has good solvents to weld it. your stuck with black, and a textured on one side.

HDPE - Cutting boards - cheap and easy to find. Threads well, but galls if doing it often. Does not glue well.

+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 4 2021, 02:01 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 4 2021, 09:04 AM) *

@Horizontally-opposed Pete ABS or cellular PVC, think PVC trim, HPDE, or Acrylic.

But the choice really comes down to what you are doing. Cellular PVC does not hold threads well with out an insert.

Acrylic can be tapped and has a good solvent. = $$$. But this is the best choice for speaker adapters, just costs more.

ABS - Drill and Tap, heatable to bend, and has good solvents to weld it. your stuck with black, and a textured on one side.

HDPE - Cutting boards - cheap and easy to find. Threads well, but galls if doing it often. Does not glue well.

^ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I went with ABS as I want to get away from materials that are easily compromised by moisture—whether leaking rain water or humidity over time. Not a huge issue where I live, but when you've got the choice…

So far, so good. A thick ABS board from TAP Plastics seemed like overkill, and heavier than it needed to be, felt just right once the large hole was cut out. Super stable, and very light. I've made a small tweak to Johannes' excellent template based on my other thread, and will share some pics when I have the boards completed.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:44 PM