Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: moving to Marin or Sonoma county
mightyohm
post Jun 25 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

To any members up in Marin or Sonoma counties...

Big news (for me at least), due to a change in employment, it looks like I will be relocating to the North Bay within the next few weeks. I am looking for advice regarding where to live (rent). My aim is to be able to commute to work daily in Santa Rosa, but still be within reach of San Francisco, where my girlfriend lives and works. Ultimately my girlfriend will be moving up as well so the location should hopefully have a tolerable commute both directions.

I think this pretty much forces me to go with San Rafael or Novato, although Petaluma has a lot of charm and the cost of living seems to decrease quickly as you go north... Housing prices in Santa Rosa are about 1/3 what I am used to in the South Bay!

I hear the soutbound 101 commute in the mornings is horrible, how bad is it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
McMark
post Jun 25 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

The San Rafael slow down is pretty bad going south, and the Santa Rosa slow down going north is even worse. But Petaluma would be a good compromise. Plus then you would shop at the Trader Joes where Allison works. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) The city of Sonoma is really cool, but would mean a nice short easy commute for you and a longer one for Kylie (?). Sonoma to SF would probably be just under 1.5 hours on a clear day, where as Petaluma is about 30 minutes on a clear day. With traffic those numbers go up.

I would start your search in Novato or Petaluma and actually Napa, or Vallejo wouldn't be too bad of options.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jun 25 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've heard that the commute south through Novato and San Rafael is something like the 5th worst in the bay area. The Larkspur ferry is an option for Kylie since she works very close to the Ferry Building.

How many members do we have that are up in the North Bay?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 25 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

When I lived in San Rafael and commuted to the city it was 30 minutes every day (traffic or not) from Larkspur to SF by car and an hour from Larkspur to SF by ferry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) BUT, on the ferry at least you can take a nap or read a book. I also took the Vallejo ferry when I lived in Napa and commuted to the city. Same sort of story, the ferry is longer but you get to sleep/read.

Me and Trekkor are the most active North Bay members, but Randy Wentzel is up here and a couple others in the Santa Rosa area and John G. is in Napa too. Doesn't compare the the south bay crowd, but there are a few of us.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 25 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

I'll agree with Mark on the ferry comments.

I commute by train from San Mateo to Sunnyvale, which takes roughly 1 hour each way. It's a 20-40 minute drive (depending on the day, the weather, and the accident rate on 101). However, I get so much more reading done by taking the train that keeping myself in books is actually a problem. If her job ends up with her commonly reading a pile of email every morning, then having a laptop, downloading the email at home, then taking it on the ferry to read and answer them, works very well. Some mass transit is also getting WiFi on board now.

I know people who live in the City and commute by train to Sunnyvale that manage to get enough work done on the train that they can justify counting the commute time as work time, so they come in late and leave early, yet still do a full day, effectively driving their commute time down to almost nothing. Not everyone can do that (esp. if you have lots of meetings as part of your job), and sometimes mass transit can be very constricting (last minute 6pm meeting can often be impossible), as well.

+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jun 25 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #6

I do things...

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I've been working a job in SF for a while now and the commute is AWFUL!!

1.5 hours from Napa during peak...45 minutes off.

15 minutes to Sears (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Think about Cotati...

KT
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:59 PM