Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vacuum Advance Unit, I think mine is toast
Rand
post Jul 6 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #21

Cross Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

© Use the original vacuum advance unit and forget about the retard portion (what does this do anyway?)

Maybe there's another configuration I don't know about, but in my understanding...

If we're still talking about the '75 2.0, there should not be vacuum advance. Vacuum retard is necessary to have a correct timing curve and retard the timing at idle. The tap that is bumping into the oil filler bail in your photo is the advance tap. Not used. Seems to me it could be cut off. But maybe someone else will tell us why it's needed?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 6 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #22

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I don't use the vacuum retard at all...
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 6 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #23

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 5 2006, 11:34 PM) *
But maybe someone else will tell us why it's needed?

My theory has always been that it was cheaper for VW/Porsche to use the same distributor dashpot, and just leave the advance fitting unhooked.

BTW, some 75+ 914s had the vacuum advance hooked up. At the very least, those cars with EGR did.

--DD
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 6 2006, 08:19 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,439
Region Association: North East States

Now, I'm confused... It seems like some are suggesting that I leave both the advance and retard off. They were both initially connected.

Any problem with Jim's suggestion of rotating the body of the distributor and repositioning the spark plug wires?
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jul 6 2006, 08:35 AM
Post #25

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

I would probably try the cut and attach a right angle fitting approach.

Another angle on this whole thing is to get a rebuilt distributor. Parts America has a Cardone reman distributor for $45.99 and a Beck/Arnley reman for $65.99

Worth the cost just to get a working vacuum advance unit even if the rest of the distributor is junk. And who knows, it might turn out to be better than yours anyway.

And if you are getting it just for the vacuum advance unit - then you get a free set of spare F.I. trigger points to boot.

Cardone reman

Beck/Arnley reman

Demick
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 6 2006, 08:48 AM
Post #26

Demick,
The Beck/Arnley shows the advance port in the wrong place as is my port. Thanks for the info..
Dan
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jul 6 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #27

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

The Cardone shows it in the correct place. But the thing about those images, is they often aren't accurate. They will often use the same image for many listings that simply look similar.

Demick
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 6 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #28

I ordered one, I'm determined to get this working....
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 6 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #29

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Demick @ Jul 6 2006, 08:19 AM) *

The Cardone shows it in the correct place. But the thing about those images, is they often aren't accurate. They will often use the same image for many listings that simply look similar.

Demick

I have personal experience with those "new" Chinese or Mexican vacuum units. They cost me under $5 each, and were NOT worth the money, given the number of failures right out of the box. I sent the whole batch of 10 back when I found 5 or 6 wouldn't hold steady vacuum. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jul 6 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

We are suggesting that you use the retard function but leave the advance unhooked. As 1975 DJET system does not have an advance port on the throttle body at all. You can clip that advance tube and cover the hole to keep the grit out, then you can have free movement of the dizzy for timing.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 6 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #31

Cross Member

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 5 2006, 11:37 PM) *

I don't use the vacuum retard at all...

Please elaborate. Is that stock? My stock 75 Djet does not use advance, but only retard.

My bad vacuum unit is causing a fast idle when timed correctly because it won't retard the timing at idle.

As for "Solex," assuming you want to make it work with the stock parts... If the advance tap that's hitting the oil filler bail wasn't being used, then I would think it could be cut off shorter to clear if it is necessary to have it in that position for correct timing. Otherwise flip the bail out of the way and rotate the tap past the bail then put the bail back. If it IS being used AND it is pointed at the bail when timed right, then why not move the distributor one tooth to get it out of the way? Mine is on the other side of the bail, and if the tap approaches the bail it's getting too retarded.
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post Jul 6 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 3,925

I'll send you a picture of mine later tonight when I get home from work. I'm 80% sure that my distributor is rotated quite a bit CCW compared to yours, which brings to mind the 90 degree switcheroo that I floated earlier.

My distributor drive gear is dead nuts on compared to the drawing in the manual, at TDC, so I think I'm pretty close to where I should be, and it's CCW from yours....

Also, on my '76, I CANNOT get the idle low enough without the retard. I'm sure the retard has some effect off idle, but I think it's main contribution is at idle. This is because of where the port is located in the throttle bore- it gets vacuum at idle, and then immediately is uncovered when you open the throttle.....

As far as advance is concerned, I learned from a thread here a few months ago that once the port was no longer being drilled on the throttle body for advance, it went disconnected. A short hose was put on the advance side of the can, but then tucked neatly out of sight.... from the factory!

Jim
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 6 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #33

Cross Member

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jul 6 2006, 01:09 PM) *

...my distributor is rotated quite a bit CCW compared to yours...

...I CANNOT get the idle low enough without the retard. I'm sure the retard has some effect off idle, but I think it's main contribution is at idle. This is because of where the port is located in the throttle bore- it gets vacuum at idle, and then immediately is uncovered when you open the throttle.....

As far as advance is concerned, I learned from a thread here a few months ago that once the port was no longer being drilled on the throttle body for advance, it went disconnected. A short hose was put on the advance side of the can, but then tucked neatly out of sight.... from the factory!

I'm on the same page. Exactly.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jul 6 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #34

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jul 6 2006, 02:09 PM) *

I'll send you a picture of mine later tonight when I get home from work. I'm 80% sure that my distributor is rotated quite a bit CCW compared to yours, which brings to mind the 90 degree switcheroo that I floated earlier.

My distributor drive gear is dead nuts on compared to the drawing in the manual, at TDC, so I think I'm pretty close to where I should be, and it's CCW from yours....

Also, on my '76, I CANNOT get the idle low enough without the retard. I'm sure the retard has some effect off idle, but I think it's main contribution is at idle. This is because of where the port is located in the throttle bore- it gets vacuum at idle, and then immediately is uncovered when you open the throttle.....

Jim

Hey. I bought two of those cardone things, and while they DID work, I had to pull out the advance fitting as it too hit the bale of the oil filler.

Good Luck!

b
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post Jul 6 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 3,925

Ok, I'm home and here's a pic of mine. Maybe not 90 degrees, but it looks like it's quite a way off from yours. Have you checked the orientation of the drive gear in the shaft? Otherwise, how much better can you get with a 90 degree CCW rotation?

Jim
Attached Image
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 6 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #36

I checked the ports and both are open and drawing vacuum. The retard port is drawing at idle and the advance port draws about 10 to 15 In Hg at 2000 to 3000 RPM.

Can I just rotate the distributor?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 6 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #37

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

If you just rotate the distributor body, you will change the timing. If you rotate the distributor drive shaft and the distributor body, you should not be changing anything meaningful. You'll still have to set the timing, but I think you should be able to do that without fuss.

--DD
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 6 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #38

Ok, after much thought I decided to try to bend the vacuum advance port on the canister...

It worked; I started the bend in a vise trying to only put pressure on the base of the port so as to not damage the canister or pull out the port. I completed the bend with a good pair of needle nose and pliers wrapped in masking tape.

I attached the hose and used a wire tie to secure it to the now bent port, from my picture everything is behind the bailing wire with a fair amount of clearance.

Started right up, I will time the engine tomorrow and take it for a spin and will update.

Thank you
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 9 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #39

I took the car out for a spin last night, after timing the engine it does run alot better in particular at idle. The cold start fast idle is now working properly. All-in-all I think that this is an appropriate replacement part for our distributors.
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 17 2006, 07:21 AM
Post #40

Confession to follow: I got the cardone distributor this weekend and too my surprise it looked quite nice, but (1) although the retard diaphram holds a vacuum it does nothing in the way of retarding the distributor (no movment on the lever) and (2) there are no shims at the base of the distributor, I have seen a number of distributors and have never seen one without shims???

Should have listen to the capt'n,

Off to the return line...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 04:56 PM