Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bill's Wheel alignment, step 1: find centerline of car
Borderline
post Jun 25 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

I've been working on a system to do my own wheel alignment at home in the garage. I'm one csob and this is getting to be a lot of work, but I like to be able to do things myself. The general idea is to use a laser light that points in the same direction of the wheel and reflects back from a mirror in front of the car. If the mirror is square to the centerline of the car, you can see the toe angle in the light reflected from the mirror. Having the mirror several feet in front of the car will make measuring small angles easier. The real problem becomes setting the rear wheels as they must be symetric about the centerline of the car.

To find the centerline of the car I decided to use the wheel mounting surfaces with the car up on....jack stands where it belongs. I dropped a plumb bob from each corner and marked it on the garage floor.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Borderline   Bill's Wheel alignment   Jun 25 2006, 10:41 PM
Borderline   After locating all four points, I was able to meas...   Jun 25 2006, 10:44 PM
Borderline   That photo didn't come out too good. What I en...   Jun 25 2006, 10:52 PM
Dr Evil   Interesting...you should see how this plays out :p...   Jun 25 2006, 11:06 PM
McMark   I'm very interested as I've been thinking ...   Jun 26 2006, 12:49 AM
Jeroen   :popcorn:   Jun 26 2006, 05:10 AM
URY914   Keep going. We're all csob's, thats why we...   Jun 26 2006, 07:25 AM
KenH   This is a whole lot easier and repeatable. Read t...   Jun 26 2006, 09:18 AM
john rogers   You could pull my article off the Pelican site and...   Jun 26 2006, 09:30 AM
Borderline   Ken: I've done the strings before and never t...   Jun 26 2006, 09:42 AM
Demick  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:46 PM