Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> big 4 engine specs, what to expect?, used motor in 550 spyder, potential?
Dave Avery
post Oct 10 2003, 02:01 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Hey all

sorry for the crosspost to shoptalk, but I thought you guys could shed some light on this too:

I bought this motor used, and it's now in my 550. I'm not sure what to expect from it... I did speak with the mechanic, and he sounds very reputable.

103mm pistons, 75 mm Crank, SCAT connecting rods, Web Cam 86a, Web Cam lifters, H/D valve springs, heads ported and polished with 48mm x 38 mm valves, aluminum valve covers, all new bearings and gaskets, lightened the flywheel, dual Weber 44IDF carbs, Bosch 050 with points. I'm using a holley blue pump with a holley regulator, set to 3.5psi (gauge tapped)

The engine runs very strong, and seems like it's all about 2-4K RPM. There is a stumble if I floor it, but it runs nicely at half throttle. Power drops sharply after said RPM, which leads me to think that either.

1) Weber 44IDF's are choking off high end
2) Timing is way off
3) Webers are way off
4) Porsche 901 has cruiser gearing
5) Gunk in the jets

I would expect this engine to be at around 150-180hp, and in a 550 spyder (1300lbs without me) this thing should be a rocket. I'm pretty happy (esp. for the $2500 I paid for it) but it seems more like a tractor than a rocket (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

So, two questions... 1) What should I expect from this motor powerband wise, and 2) any ideas on making it work better?

This is actually the fun part, after a 3 year buildout (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Thanks,

-DMA
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 07:01 AM