Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Theft deterants, what do you use?
scrz914
post Jul 7 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,960
Region Association: Central California

I just bought a '73 914 but will have to park it outside our complex on the street. Of course, now I'm paranoid about it getting stolen.
What anti-theft devices do people use? The Club? Ignition cutoff, fuel cutoff? What's easy and effective.

I'm so stoked I got a 2.0 after so many near misses.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
highways
post Jul 7 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,296

Keep the fuse for the fuel pump in your pocket.
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Jul 7 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #3

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

I keep mine locked in the garage on jackstands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SGB
post Jul 7 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #4

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I usually leave my cars unlooked, but I don't live in a really urban environment. My theory is "have a crappy stereo and no valuables" and they will pick a different victim (I hope). For actual car theft, a hidden cut-off swich would be good, but you gotta think of some place different to hide it than the dash. Overnight, I think I would take my coil wire.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Jul 7 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #5

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

crappy paint
crappy wheels
no radio

that should do it
+Quote Post
elwood-914
post Jul 7 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #6

elwood-914

Member No.: 38

Steering wheel lock. When I go into a store I pop out the fuel pump relay and put it in my pocket.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 7 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #7

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

That's pretty much my strategy. Bad paint, no radio, little incentive. The snatch and grab types are going to be after the radio. The joyriders will choose something "cooler", and the pro thieves will know full well there's no money to be made stealing a 914 for parts.

The 912 guys all got paranoid when I suggested a member's map like we have (which they have now, anyway), as they saw it as a perfect way for someone to know exactly which garage to break into to get their "valuable" cars. These guys have an inflated opinion of what's valuable to a thief, and simply don't understand what a thief is after. They want quick money. A radio is quick money. A Honda is quick money (in parts). A 912 or 914 is NOT quick money. The parts will have to be flogged on Ebay to a very tiny audience (well under 100,000). Honda parts have an audience of millions.

The joyrider types will abandon the car either instantly or a block away when they keep engaging reverse or second instead of first...
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Jul 7 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,842

Right now my theft deterant is an old worn out D-Jet system. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) BTW anyone got any carbs? Anyways, I'm thinking of going to an electronics store and getting an infared key fob to engage a relay that cuts the fuel pump power and the coil. That way it's not a switch that they can see you throw when you get out. It would be hidden inside the engine compartment and activated remotely. It's also a two prong system, so they'd get too tired/nervous to actually finish the job. Also I may have it shock them if they fiddle with it while it's engaged! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
Mark D.
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jul 7 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #9

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

A red blinking light above the stereo.
+Quote Post
David_S
post Jul 7 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 680

Prolly gonna get in trouble for this .....but this has worked really good for a few other things !!! Living outside of the city limits, and there used to be a couple that would come into the area and have their fun after midnight. Some of the neighbors were starting to become concerned, and I told them that if they heard a gunshot in the middle of the night not to worry about it! Must be something about hearing a gunshot really close to you, when you are somewhere that you aren't supposed to be, that will scare the shit out of ya !!!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 7 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #11

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The word D I E S E L written across the back of my Benz works (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I like the club. Its visible and a PITA for the prize that they would get. My Cherokee was stolen from infront of my house by some ahole looking for a ride somewhere who just happend to rip my dash apart getting at my $100 stereo....from which he removed the face and left it in the seat. You never know with crooks, but even a stoopid crook will not deal with a club for a car they do not apreciate.

There have been a few 914s taken reacently in the CA area IIRC. So, you also need to figure out how to keep someone in the know from taking your car. Take the fuel realy. Easy and small. Blinking light keeps the radio installed perhaps as well.
+Quote Post
wertygrog
post Jul 7 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #12

wertygrog

Member No.: 5,114
Region Association: Southern California

i rigged up a quick kill switch which grounds the tach cable when armed...this prevents the plugs from sparking! There is an article on PP about this, seems quite effective. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Unclerichy
post Jul 7 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #13

Don't touch my member!

Member No.: 2,341

I use a Club. Put it on the back side of the steering wheel and turn the lock towards the dash. Makes it harder for the theif to use a slide hammer to pull the lock. Too much trouble for 'em.
+Quote Post
John G
post Jul 7 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,988

Anyone actually use alarm systems?

I was thinking of installing the the kind meant for convertables... motion sensor will detect a hand coming in if the top is off and warn away, and backup siren will go off if the power is cut.

Nobody? Is this a waste of cash?

I'm wanting to put in a nice sound system in my teener, but I don't want to tempt fate either.

John
+Quote Post
LowGT
post Jul 7 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #15

1.8 and Proud!

Member No.: 4,904

No radio, crappy paint....

... and I take the coil wire with me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jul 7 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #16

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

"the Club" here.

Let's see the new car, Tony.

KT
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jul 7 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #17

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

H & K USP 40 cal.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jul 8 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

We all need to be concerned with security. Here is the link to the Honda Civic security FAQ. Disregard the immature children and there is some great info.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1554546
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jul 8 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #19

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Hard to imagine a 914 appealing to high end car thieves, nor can I imagine a 914 appealing to a joy rider.

Anyway, I think pulling the fuel pump relay is a great way to keep the thief from taking the car. They'll get in, maybe even get it started (if there's any residual fuel pressure), and it'll die. They'll just give up...

For someone who _really_ wants to boost a 914, anything short of a locked garage door will probably not deter them.

I like a blinking red light as a deterent for theft. Just the light, don't need the annoying squaking alarm, it'll just piss off your neighbors when the kid next door comes home late and bumps the car...

When I used to own my VW GTi (#1 radio theft car at the time), I had two radios stolen before I came across a great (and cheap) deterent. I took an old tape cassette, pulled out a handfull or two of tape, bunched it up, and stuck the cassette halfway in the deck. Car was never broken into again...

A firearm is a pretty effective theft deterent, but you've got to be present and awake to use it. Kind of defeats the pupose of being able to leave the car and do something else...like sleep...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
szuccaro
post Jul 8 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #20

ZUKE

Member No.: 862
Region Association: Northern California

Attached ImageMy license plate is a good deterrent!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 04:26 AM