Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Theft deterants, what do you use?
turboman808
post Jul 8 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

can't imagine a 914 is high on theifs list of cars to steal.

I'm more worried about my civic. Crappy paint, dents and no blingy things and theifs seem to leave it alone.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jul 8 2006, 02:22 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

Read the FAQ.

"7) Myth #3 "My car looks like asshole, has tons of rust, but it runs mid 12's. No one will steal it because no one knows."
This one is for you guys with sleepers and a TON of $$$ under the hood: Get Hood Locks and follow the tips below about alarms. You might say "expletive that its an eye sore" but if ONE shady person figures out what your running, its over. Think about it, can you tell the difference between a d15b1 or a worked b-series from laying under the car? So can they."
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 8 2006, 07:56 AM
Post #23

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

jackstands...
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 8 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #24

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Theft deterants, what do you use?

I drive a 914.

M
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 8 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #25

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(redshift @ Jul 8 2006, 09:45 AM) *

Theft deterants, what do you use?

I drive a 914.

M

Allegedly.....
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jul 8 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #26

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

For about $100 shipped, I got a Commando alarm complete with motion sensor (bump activated, not sight activated), blinking LED, remote key fob, and power door locks. The key fob and alarm have one extra button I plan to use for a remote trunk release. Installation is in progress....my theft deterrent for now is a stripped interior and 10 yr old stereo w old speakers w/o grills. Once the alarm and LED are functioning, in goes the Alpine/POLK/ and carbon fiber goodies! What am I doing on the computer, I have work to do on my 914!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Brando
post Jul 8 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #27

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

I keep my 914 behind a locked gate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

944 is parked out front where police and armed security patrol regularly every evening.
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jul 8 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #28

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

I use the Club. I know a 914 shouldn't be high on a thieves list but I remember someone up north had theirs stolen a couple months ago. Nothing surprises me anymore.
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Jul 9 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 623

I did the same thing as wertigrog....it works well. Just hide the switch under the dash where you know it is. Or.....a 30 06 does a good job as a theft deterant! Personally...I think you should be able to shoot a hole through someone's cranium if they're caught messing with your car...

Bill
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 9 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #30

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I always keep the engine out of the car for months at a time. I also be sure to remove the seats, doors, wheels, wiring harness, and anyhting else from teh car when I park it.

Thieves won't touch my car, they will figure its allready in a chop shop.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Zach
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Jul 9 2006, 08:54 AM
Post #31

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153

Keep it parked next to a Lexus or an H3. They won't even notice the teener.
+Quote Post
sgomes
post Jul 9 2006, 09:01 AM
Post #32

Electric Member

Member No.: 2,029

True story: I caught some idiot trying to steal my (electric) 914. He couldn't get it "started". I was so pissed at the time I couldn't laugh. But later I got a good chuckle out of it.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 9 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #33

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

DOES ANYONE WANNA STEAL MY CAR? Please do because it's insured out the WAZOOOOO!!! I plan on getting another adjustment as soon as she is painted and running. PLEAS TAKE MY CAR, I WANT A 3.6 IN MY NEXT 914!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) 10% will go to alcoholic beverage fund and renew the underwear fund also.

Theft deterant? I plan on installing hyrolic jack permanently under the car which can be activated remotely at all four points. I bet we can have a full functioning system that is less than 50Lbs. Keeper up in the air where ever you are and it won't role away easily!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Yellow water wisdom.
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Jul 9 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #34

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A padlock and a length of chain wrapped around the clutch and brake pedals.
+Quote Post
kpex914
post Jul 9 2006, 02:42 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 5,792

i take the out the coil wire.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 9 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #36

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Wayne stole mine... errrrrr, not my car, my answer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Jul 9 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

Battery cutoff switch. no stereo, no visable bling. Get one of those fancy pants stereo's with a reomote and put the reciver in the glove box. They are about 130 bucks now.
I like the jack stand idea. but would have to put a random program in to lift the jacks at different times and slam back down. In my mind it would be a bucking 914. This should cause people to bail out of the car as they couldn't hot wire while it was bucking about. of course, you would have to claim short circut in your " tire change circut" while the cops recover the body from under your car.....hmm. ok, I need more sleep.
+Quote Post
Rider914
post Jul 9 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,923

I put the alarm siren inside the passenger compartment and a strobe light below the gauges. Open the door and you won't want to get in. . .
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 9 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #39

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Man I can just imagine the first time I fill my pants because I forgot to turn the alarm off withthe speaker in the car. Not to mention if it happend to my gilr whe would probably never recover.

Other than that, I like it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Jul 9 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #40

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

QUOTE(scrz914 @ Jul 7 2006, 08:14 PM) *

I just bought a '73 914 but will have to park it outside our complex on the street. Of course, now I'm paranoid about it getting stolen.
What anti-theft devices do people use? The Club? Ignition cutoff, fuel cutoff? What's easy and effective.

I'm so stoked I got a 2.0 after so many near misses.

Alarm system:
Blinking LED in a very obvious spot. In a spot that you can see from your dwelling is even better (what I did w/my Jetta). That way you can quickly see if it's armed, tripped, etc. Intrusion sensor that is ADJUSTABLE...and adjust yours! Just enough so it gets triggered when someone sticks a hand inside, NOT when they are walking by! I took the time to adjust mine, everybody else can do the same. Cuts down on false alarms a lot. Siren hidden (as best you can in a 914) in the CABIN! Hard to work a car with 130+db yelling at you. One on the outside if you think you will hear it from inside your dwelling. Definitely get the flashing lights. Arm/disarm chirp is unnecessary, the headlight flashes and LED will tell you the status, no need to annoy the neighbors.

Always park under a street lamp or other well lit area. If you can put a spot light on your car, do it. I installed a dush-to-dawn, 20,000 lumins flood lamp above 12' above my driveway. If theives can reach the bulbs they will unscrew them enough to disable them but still leave them in the sockets so you have no idea they've been unscrewed. Ask me how I know...twice! Motion sensors are easily bypassed, dusk-to-dawn is the only secure method. And they need to be out of reach or WELL sealed up.

Make friends with neighbors. The more people watching your car the better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Got a kickin' stereo? ALWAYS take your faceplate with you. ALWAYS. Make it a habit. Because that one time you don't...

You don't need an uber-expensive alarm system. Many for $75 to $150 will fit your needs easily and you could install yourself in a day. To increase the range of your key fob transmitter, hold the fob under and touching your chin while pressing the arm/disarm button. Your body acts as an antenna and boosts the signal. While I was working at Columbia Sportswear (and Gert is a hoot!) I tested this in their long parking lot and EASILY doubled the distance I could activate my system. I use it in the house as well with my car parked on the street 50' away.

They don't sell them any more but they used to sell a club that worked with taser technology. 130dB siren would go off if it was disturbed then 10 seconds later it would spark with visible electricity. If you touched it you would immediately jerk your hands away. 3 nine volt batteries and pace-maker safe. I had only one guy try to hold on to it while it was active. He did for a couple seconds but it took everything he had. I still use mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:29 PM