Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> G-tech meter, got it!, How many g's can you pull????
crash914
post Oct 11 2003, 04:30 PM
Post #1

its a mystery to me

Group: Members
Member No.: 434
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Received the g-tech meter on Friday, just 2 days from order for $50.00. Thanks for the link.

Ok, I can brake at .96 G's, accelerate at .31 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) turn at over 1.2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) ..

What can you do??????

I know you 6 boys will have me in acceleration...but.....
I am running falken azenis 205.50.15's at 28# on all 4 corners.....175 # rear springs, 23mm front bars and both sway bars....

Lets see what you got!!!

herb
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 11 2003, 04:47 PM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(crash914 @ Oct 11 2003, 02:30 PM)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Received the g-tech meter on Friday, just 2 days from order for $50.00. Thanks for the link.

Ok, I can brake at .96 G's, accelerate at .31 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) turn at over 1.2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) ..

What can you do??????

I know you 6 boys will have me in acceleration...but.....
I am running falken azenis 205.50.15's at 28# on all 4 corners.....175 # rear springs, 23mm front bars and both sway bars....

Lets see what you got!!!

herb

braking at 3x accel is pretty typical.
i'm skeptical of your lateral number tho...
was that a steady-state skidpad number ?
i could believe a sudden, transient-type turn, but i'm not sure i'm ready to accept 1,2g on DOT tires...

also not sure why you think 6's are faster in accel. size for size, the 4's low-range torque tends to give it better accelleration until the 6's high-end takes over. stock 2,0 /4 vs stock 2,0 /6, the /4's quicker under 70 as many AX wins attest. still, there's more to life than the stoplight Grand Prix and i ain't givin' up my 6 :-) ...
+Quote Post
Charles Deutsch
post Oct 11 2003, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

What are your 0 to 60 mph and 1/4 mile times? Those numbers will give us a very good idea if the g-tech is being truthful.
+Quote Post
mskala
post Oct 11 2003, 08:55 PM
Post #4

R

Member No.: 79

accelerate at .31  

Okay Herb, you made me interpret my own accel graph.
I can do 0.57g in 1st, 0.37g in 2nd. That was before
I had the carbs worked out, and on the street tires
205/55. If I had a sequential modern box I could save
tons of time on accel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) but hey it's fun to own an
old car.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
crash914
post Oct 12 2003, 03:28 PM
Post #5

its a mystery to me

Those are the numbers that I got the first drive with the g-tech.....I need to do a complete skid pad, accel test, etc....

The braking is real. Repeated several times. Accel and laterial need more confirmation.

Still, I want to corner at over 1g..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Charles Deutsch
post Oct 12 2003, 04:11 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

QUOTE(crash914 @ Oct 12 2003, 02:28 PM)
Those are the numbers that I got the first drive with the g-tech.....I need to do a complete skid pad, accel test, etc....

The braking is real.  Repeated several times.  Accel and laterial need more confirmation.

You're killin' me. My g-tech should be here this week and I'm dyin' to know how accurate it is. Get out there and do the acceleration tests. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 12 2003, 04:32 PM
Post #7

rich herzog

QUOTE(crash914 @ Oct 12 2003, 01:28 PM)
The braking is real. Repeated several times. Accel and laterial need more confirmation.

it's a 2-axis accellerometer, yes ?

each axis needs its own calibration and correction factors. since you're confident in the braking number, try mounting the device in a succession of 90-degree change of position. the numbers should be independent of orientation ...

(everybody wants to corner at >1 g :-) ...)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Oct 12 2003, 05:49 PM
Post #8

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Mine came in on Thursday. The teener isn't drivable now though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Oct 13 2003, 05:19 AM
Post #9

Easy does it

Member No.: 61

Can you share the link again I have been away for some time.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Oct 13 2003, 06:55 AM
Post #10

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

G TECH
+Quote Post
ss6
post Oct 13 2003, 07:58 AM
Post #11

fun city...

Member No.: 221

Guys, I'm curious - what is the G-tech really good for? How does knowing acceleration improve your tuning or driving (road course, not burn-outs)?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 13 2003, 09:05 AM
Post #12

rich herzog

QUOTE(ss6 @ Oct 13 2003, 05:58 AM)
Guys, I'm curious - what is the G-tech really good for? How does knowing acceleration improve your tuning or driving (road course, not burn-outs)?

as with all instruments, Step Zero is establish a baseline.
then, after each change, re-run and compare to baseline conditions.
if things get worse, un-do what you did and see if you're back on the baseline. (if not, you perturbed something else...) if yes, the change you made was not effective.

can you pull more g's through a corner with more or less tire pressure? tighter or looser antiroll bar settings. softer or stiffer damper settings ?

i don't find the braking number very helpful unless you're fiddling with brake bias. the accel number of course helps you determine if that jetting, or timing, or air filter change really netted you a measurable performance improvement. (assuming all the other variables - like temperature, humidity, fuel load, driver weight... - remained constant too...
+Quote Post
Charles Deutsch
post Oct 13 2003, 10:31 AM
Post #13

Unregistered

I ordered one but I can't help but feel a little skeptical because the price seems too good to be true. G-TECH sell it on their web site for $140 so how can this guy sell them on ebay for $50? I hope they've been properly calibrated and are accurate.
+Quote Post
Charles Deutsch
post Oct 13 2003, 10:36 AM
Post #14

Unregistered

QUOTE(ss6 @ Oct 13 2003, 06:58 AM)
Guys, I'm curious - what is the G-tech really good for?  How does knowing acceleration improve your tuning or driving (road course, not burn-outs)?

It will also tell you your drive wheel hp which is good to know when tuning or modifying your car. This might help you to get your motor's settings in the ballpark before you take it in for proper dyno tuning.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Oct 13 2003, 10:44 AM
Post #15

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

I just ordered one. For $50 it's sort of a no-brainer for me. I do like the look of the competition model though. I wonder if it's possible to hack a serial port into the cheap one and get a laptop doing datalogging to deduce fun stats. Might be possible to combine the megasquirt data with the Gtech data........??????

Anyone got any cool ideas? Is it possible to get a datastream out of this thing?

Fiid.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
crash914
post Oct 13 2003, 03:04 PM
Post #16

its a mystery to me

I got mine....in factory box with instructions....never opened, etc....I think that they can't move them for $139.

After playing with it, it is worth ~$50.00

I am looking at it for the baseline vs. improvement factor.

change brake pads, what happened.

Put in a v-8, what happens.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

herb
+Quote Post
fiid
post Oct 13 2003, 03:09 PM
Post #17

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(crash914 @ Oct 13 2003, 01:04 PM)

Put in a v-8, what happens.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Also - I can run it in my girlfriend's miata to see how it stacks up to the 914 in the corners.

It will be interesting to get a quantitative analysis to go with the "ass-in-seat" accelerometer.

Should help a lot with sway bar settings and the like.

Does yours have any sort of computer interface?

Fiid.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 13 2003, 03:22 PM
Post #18

rich herzog

here's my question - how can an accellerometer-based device produce valid data when it's not solidly mounted to the vehicle in question. even when i see the videos, it looks like it swings around on that suction-cup mount like a pendulum do. so what you've got is an accel in an accel - how stable can that be ?

unless the whole design concept is to have a position reference -inside- the box, measuring the motion of the case around it... in which case i think there'd be way too many variables (e.g. suction-cup rubber stiffness...) for the data to be valid...

i understand the suction-cup plumb-bob mounting is convenient - but how can it possibly be giving you valid data in transient maneuvers ?

what does the mounting information suggest? must it be flixibly mounted ? can you bolt it to the frame for improved accuracy ?
+Quote Post
Dave Avery
post Oct 13 2003, 03:37 PM
Post #19

Unregistered

I just got one of these, waiting on a cable for my Kyocera smart phone to use it.

www.pdyno.org

Connects to the palmpilot (or palmphone in my case) and logs data. The mini sells for $149, but he has them on ebay for $49. Audiworld left a nice review : click here

Not affiliated with Hamilton, but I thought the cool factor was worth mentioning.

-DMA
+Quote Post
Charles Deutsch
post Oct 13 2003, 04:17 PM
Post #20

Unregistered

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 13 2003, 02:22 PM)
here's my question - how can an accellerometer-based device produce valid data when it's not solidly mounted to the vehicle in question.  even when i see the videos, it looks like it swings around on that suction-cup mount like a pendulum do.  so what you've got is an accel in an accel - how stable can that be ?

unless the whole design concept is to have a position reference -inside- the box, measuring the motion of the case around it...  in which case i think there'd be way too many variables (e.g. suction-cup rubber stiffness...) for the data to be valid...

i understand the suction-cup plumb-bob mounting is convenient - but how can it possibly be giving you valid data in transient maneuvers ?

what does the mounting information suggest?  must it be flixibly mounted ?  can you bolt it to the frame for improved accuracy ?

When I watch MotorWeek on the Speed channel and they test the cars through the slalom I can see that they have a similar device mounted to the windshield.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 05:39 AM