Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: need some help with medical lingo ...
SirAndy
post Jul 17 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

i got a glimps of some results during the tests today. they won't tell me the final diagnosis until some time next week. so, i've been trying to look up things in the meantime.

yeah, did the google search thing, got tons of results, lots of important looking "words" i don't understand but nothing that really tells me what that stuff actually means ...

1. Lateral T-Wave flattening (in regards to my EKG). I found a whole bunch of diagrams that show me a flat T-Wave, great, but what does it mean? is that dangerous? what's causing it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

2. Right Basilar Atelectasis (in regards to my chest x-ray). again found thousands of results, seems like a lot of people have it, but why the hell can't anybody describe this is normal english (or german) words? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

help! medical translator needed ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Andy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 17 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Dude....call Lisa. PM me for her #
+Quote Post
dekman
post Jul 17 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,274

1.) T wave flattening- a non-specific change usually means nothing. Seen as we get older. If I noted a change in your EKG from last year, I would do a treadmill to make sure nothing new was going on. 2.) Base atelectasis- a lobe of your lung was not inflated when the x-ray was taken. Usually means nothing. A deep breath usually opens it up. If it stays atelectaic (closed down)on a repeat film, then I would get a CT of the chest to see why. I'm sure you Doc will explain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 17 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #4

Resident German

QUOTE(dekman @ Jul 17 2006, 07:08 PM) *

1.) T wave flattening- a non-specific change usually means nothing. Seen as we get older. If I noted a change in your EKG from last year, I would do a treadmill to make sure nothing new was going on. 2.) Base atelectasis- a lobe of your lung was not inflated when the x-ray was taken. Usually means nothing. A deep breath usually opens it up. If it stays atelectaic (closed down)on a repeat film, then I would get a CT of the chest to see why. I'm sure you Doc will explain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

thanks man ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

just being paranoid, i guess ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jul 17 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #5

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

how ya feelin, sourkraut?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 17 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #6

Resident German

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 17 2006, 08:09 PM) *

how ya feelin, sourkraut?

that's "Sauerkraut" for you sir! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

dunno. you ever had your arms go numb while driving? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
and then your tongue goes numb and you can't feel it and you are afraid you're going to swallow it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

at this point, i wish it just had been an ordinary heart attack. i'd be either dead or out of the hospital by now.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 17 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #7

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

just being paranoid, i guess

No, its wisdom.

I'm 41 now. I never go to the doctor. As much as I resist, I am finally giving way to the idea that I need to start getting educated and getting stuff checked out. Maybe I'll go get that physical in the next couple years. I have no idea what my cholesterol, blood pressure, and all that other important stuff is. But wisdom says to get ahold of it on the front side.

Pullin' and prayin' for ya man. Keep us posted.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 17 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #8

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

has it happened again? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

My arm falls asleep sometime running camera, but it is raised to chin level and the shape of the hand grip seems to cut circulation a bit to the hand.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 17 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #9

Resident German

QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 17 2006, 08:28 PM) *

yupp, happened again saturday and sunday, with saturday being the worser (is that a word?) day of the two ...

first, the left side of my face goes numb, then my left arm, then my right arm gets really weak. i barely made it to the shop. had to sit down for an hour before i felt good enough to touch a wrench ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jul 17 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #10

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Andy did you have a angiogram? Mebi test? Stress test?

The T wave is the ventrical repolarization of the heart when it's refilling. It's the bump after the up & down spikes.
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Jul 17 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

Hope you are doing better Sir Andy.
Circulation blockage will make that numbness happen from time to time especially when staying in the same position for long time spans. Bending over and straightening up too fast will make you dizzy too. Faint is a better word. Everyone has these things happen sometimes so do exactly as your doctor says and you'll be around long enough to be called an old fart. How you say that in German?

Cheers and speedy recovery.

MikeCool
Oakfield, TN
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jul 17 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #12

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 17 2006, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 17 2006, 08:28 PM) *

yupp, happened again saturday and sunday, with saturday being the worser (is that a word?) day of the two ...

first, the left side of my face goes numb, then my left arm, then my right arm gets really weak. i barely made it to the shop. had to sit down for an hour before i felt good enough to touch a wrench ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) Andy

You're not taking any supplements are you? Vitamins? Change your diet or vitamin regimen prior to all of this occurring? Drinking that "energy drink" crapola? Anything? I had very similar symptoms a few years back after increasing b-complex. It went on for weeks. Doc said no way b-complex was the cause. As soon as I stopped the taking b-complex it went away in a day or two and never returned.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 17 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Cooley!,

How old are you now? I think you and Bernie are our oldest members.

How are you doing? TN still good too you? Do 914 people stop in and say hello every once in awhile?

B
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 17 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #14

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Andy, I had similar symptoms in High School. I was 15. It began with a slight headache. While bent over my desk doing some writing I raised my head rather quickly. A sharp pain shot from my temple around to the back of my head. Then my left side of my face went numb along with the left side of my tongue. I started to feel nauseous.

I ended up at the hospital freaking out. They gave me a sedative (shot) that put me out. The Doctors said I'd had a muscle spasm in the right side of my head that caused a major blood vessel to be squeezed shut causing what looked like a stroke.

Thank God it's never happened again. That was scary!

All I can say is bug the doctors constantly about what's wrong & how to fix it. Don't wait for them to come to you with the answers.

Take care Buddy and Good Luck.

......b
+Quote Post
Mrs. K
post Jul 17 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #15

Grieve we must, but celebrate a great life!

Group: Birthday Fairy
Member No.: 2,166

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 17 2006, 06:53 PM) *

i got a glimps of some results during the tests today. they won't tell me the final diagnosis until some time next week. so, i've been trying to look up things in the meantime.

yeah, did the google search thing, got tons of results, lots of important looking "words" i don't understand but nothing that really tells me what that stuff actually means ...

1. Lateral T-Wave flattening (in regards to my EKG). I found a whole bunch of diagrams that show me a flat T-Wave, great, but what does it mean? is that dangerous? what's causing it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

2. Right Basilar Atelectasis (in regards to my chest x-ray). again found thousands of results, seems like a lot of people have it, but why the hell can't anybody describe this is normal english (or german) words? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

help! medical translator needed ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Andy

Andy,
You can PM me for my phone number if you want or just to discuss anything else.

The chest x-ray results are no big deal "Right Basilar Atelectasis" is a term used to describe the lower portion of your rt. lung.....it should be nice and pointed, but if it is under inflated for whatever reason, scaring, pneumonia, etc, then it just appears "blunt" or not a sharp point.....here is an example of a normal chest film
Attached Image
see the sharp points at the bottom of each lung? They are just saying that the point or "apex" of your rt lung is not fully inflated.....have you had any respiratory illnesses in the past? Are you still smoking? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Your T-wave flattening could be normal for you..........do you have an old ECG to compare it to? You are a tall guy and the axis of your heart could have something to do with a normal variant of you electrical activity as seen on ECG.

Also, we see tons of people with what seems like heart attack symptoms who have spasm of their coronary arteries.....a condition which ususally can be treated fairly easily by meds.

Is there any food or meds that you are ingesting that could possibly be causing this or maybe a lot of stress?

Jenny has a great Cardiologist in your area.....maybe you should go see him for a second opinion.

Call or PM anytime for "translation"

Take care (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Lisa
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mrs.K.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 17 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

HUm.. your asking him about smoking?

I have never seen him smoke anything but cigars during the holidays.

Do you know something I dont..LOL

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mrs.K.gif) I'm worried about him.

B
+Quote Post
Mrs. K
post Jul 17 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #17

Grieve we must, but celebrate a great life!

Group: Birthday Fairy
Member No.: 2,166

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 17 2006, 10:03 PM) *

HUm.. your asking him about smoking?

I have never seen him smoke anything but cigars during the holidays.

Do you know something I dont..LOL

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mrs.K.gif) I'm worried about him.

B

I think I was making an ASSumption (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .....smoking is very common with European folks..........my bad.....sorry

Take care of yourself Andy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Lisa
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 17 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

For the longest time he didnt drink coffee, but that fired up again 1-2 years ago. He also kept the drinking down, but each night I see him post about his "drink" has lead me to beleive he had a cocktail each evening.

He probably smoked for years and years in Germany, but I have'nt seen it here while I have known him in the states 5+ years.

Sorry for calling you out Andy. I just want you to get the best advise possible.

B
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jul 17 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #19

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Andy,

the numbness could also be caused by pinched nerves.

BTW...I'm a Captain now and I get the keys to the drug cabinet. So what every you need.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 17 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

The pinched nerve thing was my theory, but I dont know how that could make him tired.

This crap has me freaked out. I know I'm next. 35. NO problems whatsoever when it comes to health (besides mental..LOL) I get racing physicals once a year that is about it. I have never had ANY hospital stays since I was 6 months old with Spinal Menagitus.

Prime for major headache later on. Luckily I dont smoke and only have a few beers every other weekend.

B
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:00 PM