Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front Suspension question, How low do you ride?
John
post Jul 18 2006, 11:28 AM
Post #1

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

Does anyone know how much travel there is in the shocks before bottoming out the shock and riding only on the spring?

When I first pur my car down on the ground from it's recent jack stand stance (it is now a 3.2 and has 5-lug suspension all around), The front end was lower than I had ever had it. The front end would still travel, so I figured I was good.

I drove it up and down our private road and the front would literally bounce.

Last night, I decided to raise the front end up. I raised it up about an inch to where it had been the last time I aligned it and the bouncy-ness went away.

Is this what happens when the front end is sitting on the rubber snubbers? It acted like there was no dampening and was only riding on the springs, but that can't be.

Is there any way I can measure the travel left without removing the dust shields and reinstalling the struts without them and measuring directly?

Hmmmmmm.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jul 18 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am not sure about checking without getting the shock piston out from under the dust sheilds. However, it only takes a minute to undo the top shock nut and lower the strut tube. Then push the snubber so it is down on the top of the strut tube and put a zip tie on the piston right over the snubber. Put it all back together and go for a spin. Come back and remove the shock nut again and pull down your strut, you can then see where the snubber is on the shock piston if you are bottoming out or not.
+Quote Post
John
post Jul 18 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #3

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

Well, that is kinda what I was thinking, however, I am also pondering the idea of running it for a short amount of time without the covers to do my tuning and then go back to using the dust covers when I work out a height that works for me.....

Any ideas? (I'm not talking long distances or long term)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:24 PM