Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do you replace the two shift coupler bushings?, ...just drive the shaft out, is there a pin on it?
930cabman
post Aug 14 2021, 07:42 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 14 2021, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 14 2021, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 15 2016, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jun 15 2016, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 15 2016, 09:15 PM) *

I had this same bushing setup disintegrate on a 356 many miles from home.
I found lots of small twigs and jammed them in all around the pin on both sides and wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape......piece of caked

Do it once, do it right, eh Rich? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

But when you're miles from home you do what you gotta do. In Army maintenance that's called BDAR - "Battle Damage Assessment and Repair"

I was taught that was a field expedaite repair. More commonly referred to by a politically incorrect term.
Army Engineer 69th Batalion, 1969
Crap I'm old.

Researching fitting new shift bushings and came upon an OLD guy, if this is from 2016, what does that make him today?? Thanks bd for all your insight and sharing of your experience.

It makes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) me 72.

And no signs of slowing down. Many of us are boomers and share the same "hobby"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 15 2021, 05:43 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

I was invited to a P car outdoor event today and was looking forward to bringing my new to me 1975 1.8 example. However last night the shift coupler bushings decided to break down. This morning as I was opening up the rubber boot a bunch of "dust like debris" came out. Thankfully I have a decent inventory of parts, I managed to locate a decent rear shift rod complete with decent bushings. I made the event and had a great time meeting and sharing stories with several other enthusiasts.

I saw somewhere some guys fabricate new shift coupler bushings (with greater precision than those commercially available) from Delrin or some similar material. Just for fun I asked a fellow 914 guy to test drive my new example to get his take on the feel of the shift linkage and the brakes. He came back and gave it a passing grade. I guess the 914 cannot compare to a G50 for shift feel.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Sep 27 2021, 01:16 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Glad to find this thread with the search function- just pushed the pin out and also recommend heat to "melt" the old bushings. Makes it much easier to use the sockets to push the pin out. Used my small vise with an extended handle to get more torque.
Now just waiting for the brass bushings from pelican...
+Quote Post
jim-c
post Dec 14 2021, 01:10 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 26,090
Region Association: South East States

I used this thread today. New bushings needed. I heated the pin with MAP gas. It wouldn't budge with just the vice and socket method. Heated up the pin and drove it out with a punch. It went easy.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:15 AM