Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Bays, All years
sean_v8_914
post Feb 8 2007, 10:55 AM
Post #41

Chingon 601

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,541

fdgb

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Feb 8 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #42

Chingon 601

I believe this 1972 1.7 image to be significant because it shows teh "stove pipe" intake pre-heater

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Feb 8 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #43

Chingon 601

messy but close to original config

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 18 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #44

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Feb 8 2007, 12:05 PM) *

messy but close to original config

Where's the heater blower & heat routing tubes?
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 30 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #45

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 30 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #46

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 19 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #47

Unfortunately Pat has managed to get me off my a** (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Call the previous photos before & call these after... More to come.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 19 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #48

Battery tray replacement is obvious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . I have to find something closer, tape it off & shoot to match.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 19 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #49

Last one, a top shot. Not done cleaning yet by a long shot, but it's like a time capsule from 1974.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 21 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 19 2007, 04:56 PM) *

Last one, a top shot. Not done cleaning yet by a long shot, but it's like a time capsule from 1974.

JB.

Is that a Bosche Blue coil? On an original 914 (LE, no less)? Shame, shame, shame!

Just kidding! I heard so much grief about mine that I thought spread the shame (like I'm going back to the original....).

Good stuff - let us know how lucky you are with respraying the battery tray area.
Pat
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 21 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #51

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 21 2007, 08:11 PM) *

JB.

Is that a Bosche Blue coil? On an original 914 (LE, no less)? Shame, shame, shame!

Just kidding! I heard so much grief about mine that I thought spread the shame (like I'm going back to the original....).

Good stuff - let us know how lucky you are with respraying the battery tray area.
Pat

Pat- found some 1110 on the internet & ordered 2 cans. Just going to do the battery side & hopefully it'll match. If it does then I'll work on the front right fender well, inside the front trunk & smooth that out a bit. I was thinking of painting the coil black just to make it look better. I also landed a set of powder coated heating ducts on eBay & was going to replace my old oxidized ones. I've got SS heat exchagers. Should look very clean. I was reading in another thread that you plan on attending Parade in NC next year? So do I... got a buddy who lives there & I managed to talk his wife into giving me her garage space for a week next year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 21 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 21 2007, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 21 2007, 08:11 PM) *

JB.

Pat

Pat- found some 1110 on the internet & ordered 2 cans. Just going to do the battery side & hopefully it'll match. If it does then I'll work on the front right fender well, inside the front trunk & smooth that out a bit. I was thinking of painting the coil black just to make it look better. I also landed a set of powder coated heating ducts on eBay & was going to replace my old oxidized ones. I've got SS heat exchagers. Should look very clean. I was reading in another thread that you plan on attending Parade in NC next year? So do I... got a buddy who lives there & I managed to talk his wife into giving me her garage space for a week next year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

JB,
Yep, I'll be there. First Parade since '93 (which I was concours chair at). Already at work for it. Won 2 - want #3.
Any chance I can get a corner of that garge space? (just kidding). If I were you, i wouldn't paint the coil black - most every decent judge expects the 356/912/914 coils to be replaced with "blues". Wouldn't worry about it. Do the heating ducts, though.

Oh man, this will be fun! Lotsa folks I've known & lotsa folks I've never met (just yacked with) should be there. Who cares who wins! We all do anyway.

I'm buying a bottle of Craganmore for the winner. Course, if it's me, I get it all to myself!
Pat
+Quote Post
bembry
post Jun 30 2007, 05:26 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 4,499

Concerning the big black firewall pad in the engine bay--did all cars get them? Mine had one, but was nasty with overspray paint from who knows what. Also, my firewall has rust, so I just pulled the pad, at least for now.
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Jul 6 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #54

Gary#

Member No.: 421

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) I took these pics 'cause I know it's never gonna look quite like this again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Jul 6 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #55

Gary#

Member No.: 421

QUOTE(bembry @ Jun 30 2007, 04:26 PM) *

Concerning the big black firewall pad in the engine bay--did all cars get them? Mine had one, but was nasty with overspray paint from who knows what. Also, my firewall has rust, so I just pulled the pad, at least for now.

---
Mine had it too. Stock? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I don't know. I had to remove it to look for rust. Got lucky. No rust behind it. Extra bad place for rust to hide. Cleaned, prepped & Por15'd everything & replaced the sound-pad with a much lighter replacement. Edge seal is direct from Home Depot - Hard as Nails Sealer (stuff rockz-but slow set time) 3 coats of Por15 behind the pad.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 7 2007, 07:58 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(d7n7master @ Jul 7 2007, 12:49 AM) *

QUOTE(bembry @ Jun 30 2007, 04:26 PM) *

---
Mine had it too. Stock? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I don't know. I had to remove it to look for rust. Got lucky. No rust behind it. Extra bad place for rust to hide. Cleaned, prepped & Por15'd everything & replaced the sound-pad with a much lighter replacement. Edge seal is direct from Home Depot - Hard as Nails Sealer (stuff rockz-but slow set time) 3 coats of Por15 behind the pad.

Attached Image

Yes, the black pad is stock, heavy & is prone to retaining moisture. It should be replaced w/ better materials, unless the word concours rears it's ugly head around you & your loved ones. Then you'd better find a way to clean off the overspray & put it back looking very unmolested.

+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jul 7 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 21 2007, 10:55 PM) *

If I were you, i wouldn't paint the coil black - most every decent judge expects the 356/912/914 coils to be replaced with "blues". Pat

So, Pat, guess that means you wouldn't show up with a black one just to be more original, eh?

Anyway, my car is pretty unmolested and has a blue coil. Did all 914's come without the blue coil, i.e. blue coils are simply NOT original?

Paul
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 7 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #58

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 7 2007, 10:48 AM) *

So, Pat, guess that means you wouldn't show up with a black one just to be more original, eh?
Anyway, my car is pretty unmolested and has a blue coil. Did all 914's come without the blue coil, i.e. blue coils are simply NOT original?
Paul

Paul- as far as I know all 914s came w/ a regular Bosch black coil. It was a fairly common practice to upgrade to a blue the 1st time your blackie burned out or some other related distributor woes. Common for VWs' & 911s' as well. Blues were cheaper over a stock/dealer blackie & had more spark. As for Pat I don't trust him either, I think he's already shot it black (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Has he used the right kind is my question- flat, satin or gloss? I ain't saying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) !

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 7 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 7 2007, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 7 2007, 10:48 AM) *

Paul

Paul- as far as I know all 914s came w/ a regular Bosch black coil. It was a fairly common practice to upgrade to a blue the 1st time your blackie burned out or some other related distributor woes. Common for VWs' & 911s' as well. Blues were cheaper over a stock/dealer blackie & had more spark. As for Pat I don't trust him either, I think he's already shot it black (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Has he used the right kind is my question- flat, satin or gloss? I ain't saying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) !

Oh, that's so ugly & so unneccesary. You think I'd scam you guys about a simple coil? Nope, I'll take the hit for the blue. Course, I still have my original coil & I COULD put it back on........no paint necessary. I COULD show up on Friday with the "blue" & replace it quickly with the orig for Monday. Now, there's a thought.

But nope! No support vehicle loaded with parts. It will be show as it left Philly. No scams!
Pat
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 7 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 7 2007, 09:53 PM) *

Oh, that's so ugly & so unneccesary. You think I'd scam you guys about a simple coil? Nope, I'll take the hit for the blue. Course, I still have my original coil & I COULD put it back on........no paint necessary. I COULD show up on Friday with the "blue" & replace it quickly with the orig for Monday. Now, there's a thought.

But nope! No support vehicle loaded with parts. It will be show as it left Philly. No scams!
Pat

Forive us Pat, we're just havin fun @ your expense. Foolish children, cause nothin matters till the fat lady sings & you know it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) !

+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:46 PM