Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Bays, All years
HaraldD
post Jan 19 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,781
Region Association: Germany

Hello!
The sticker is original from the 70` :-)
It was on the Airfilter when i bought the Car. The Engine isn`t a Factory GT. The Porsche Dealer Max Moritz build it up to a 2,0 "S" with ALu/Nicasil Pistons and Cylinders, S Cams, Forged Rockers, S Crankshaft, Weber IDS and some other Goodies...all back 1970.
It have about 185 HP..... :-)
If you want more:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1106630

Harald (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Harold , the MM sticker is awesome, Is tha a factory GT engine also ?
[/quote]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 29 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #82

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Sep 12 2008, 01:41 PM) *

Fun thread, but awfully light on originality! And not even one factory /6 engine bay... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Who's got the cleanest /6 out there? Would be nice to have some engine shots as a reference.

I agree!!

Calling James Smith.....show us the engine compartment of the Swissie. You won Parade twice, so show us the goods.
Pat
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Aug 31 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 2,882

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 29 2009, 10:18 PM) *

Fun thread, but awfully light on originality! And not even one factory /6 engine bay... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Who's got the cleanest /6 out there? Would be nice to have some engine shots as a reference.

I agree!!

Calling James Smith.....show us the engine compartment of the Swissie. You won Parade twice, so show us the goods.
Pat

I'll comply when I final learn how to take proper pictures of the engine compartment which hide all the grease and dirt...

(My past attempts at engine and interior compartment photos have failed miserably. Either took dark, or washed out from the flash. I'll give it another try. I can always edit the dirt out with photo shop.)
+Quote Post
tod914
post Aug 31 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

James just a suggestion, take the car outside. Turn the camera flash off, set to 200 or 400. Might be a touch dark, but if you want I can correct them if you like. Alittle work around you can try is, point the lens to a dark area in the bay. Then hold the shutter button 1/2 way to lock the exposure, then shift the lense to the area you want to shoot (while keeping the button 1/2 way down), then fully depress and take your your shot. Hopefully that will work for you.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 31 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #85

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 31 2009, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 29 2009, 10:18 PM) *

I agree!!

Pat

I'll comply when I final learn how to take proper pictures of the engine compartment which hide all the grease and dirt...

(My past attempts at engine and interior compartment photos have failed miserably. Either took dark, or washed out from the flash. I'll give it another try. I can always edit the dirt out with photo shop.)

And you dump on me for MY excuses........
Pat
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 14 2009, 01:11 AM
Post #86

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Pat, did you ever have those paint stamps made up?

Is there a difference in the air filter top stamp from 70 ~ 7x?

I painted over the mostly-faded lettering on the air filter top when I 'spruced-up' some of the tin parts on my wife's 71 1.7L last year (mainly to keep the rust at bay). When it comes time for a total rebuild/restoration, I'd like to re-stamp the air cleaner and the left-side engine tin too.

Until that happens, this is pretty much how it will look (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 18 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #87

QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 14 2009, 02:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 3 2006, 05:49 PM) *
1. When I refinished my engine tin (many years ago!), I gave no regard to the white stampings on the drivers' side. I plan to have a paint stamp made when I can verify the correct number - 610, etc.
2. Same with the oil bath air cleaner - refinished it & destroyed the red pain stamping. Will have a paint stamp made for that too.

Pat

Pat, did you ever have those paint stamps made up?

Is there a difference in the air filter top stamp from 70 ~ 7x?

I painted over the mostly-faded lettering on the air filter top when I 'spruced-up' some of the tin parts on my wife's 71 1.7L last year (mainly to keep the rust at bay). When it comes time for a total rebuild/restoration, I'd like to re-stamp the air cleaner and the left-side engine tin too.

Until that happens, this is pretty much how it will look (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

No, I still haven't done it yet, though I am working on the artwork for "610".

Fairly certain that the text on the oil bath aircleaners was constant through the, and until, the changeover to filters. One of these days.....
Pat

+Quote Post
70_914
post Mar 2 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 11,096
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 19 2009, 05:40 AM) *

Can someone give me an awnser on this! Coil upside down good or bad??

porsche coil - good
msd coil - bad

Harold , the MM sticker is awesome, Is tha a factory GT engine also ?

Oil filled coil, any brand - upside down is bad
Epoxy coil, any brand - upside down is fine

Shake your coil and you will know if it is epoxy or oil filled.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 27 2011, 10:40 AM
Post #89

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Is this correct mounting for the AAR?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 27 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #90

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 27 2011, 10:40 AM) *

Yep
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 28 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #91

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 27 2011, 01:40 PM) *

Considering its the Decel valve not the AAR valve its correct. The AAR valve mounts on the engine.
How you mount the MPS (nose forward or back) is dependent on the vents on it. Do not mount it with the vents facing up! They fill up with dirt, grime and water!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 26 2011, 09:05 AM
Post #92

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 20 2012, 10:20 AM
Post #93

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 18 2007, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Jan 18 2007, 07:05 AM) *

any tips on Engine bay cleaning? like to have it nicer in there.

mrhutrtlot.
Yes - two ways - and you'll hurtalot either way!

Method one - remove motor/trans. 2 hour cleanup from inside the bay (on jack stands). Do not use cleaning fluids that will render you duh or huh? Don't need them with contemporary chemicals, though I'd still wear a respirator. Really easy w/the motor out.

Method two - motor in. Lots more difficult, but can be done. Foremost, get a set of el-cheapo kneepads, and wear latex or rubber gloves. Why, becauseas you dig into the engine compartment you'll use your knees for bracing. Without the kneepads you'll make compression dents in the quarters. It's amazing what you can reach if you're not afraid of hurting the car, so dig in. First, remove everything removable (you didn't say what year your 914 was). Air filter, etc. Clean them separately. Then just tak some clean terry rags & start dgging for goo - you'll find plenty. Unless you're barely over 5 feet tall (like SOME people I know) you should be able to reach every cranny in there. After you've mopped up the really loose stuff, go back with another set of cloths lightly soaked in something like SimpleGreen or 409 (no solvents). Wipe until you come up with nothing. Take another fresh set of cloths (terry preferred) & do it again. I know it's simplistic sounding, but you need to reach into every fore/aft & side areas to do this - takes lots of rags & the wife will REALLY bitch when you throw them into the washer (trust me!). If you're forttunate, you'll have slim fingers to get under thigs like the induction tubes. If you're even MORE fortunate, you'll get your significant other involved to do this - they DO have very tiny fingers, that can get into places we gorillas cannot. Just be certain that the significant other realizes the daintiness of 914 bodywork - best to ask them to wear the kneepads & nothing else, so they don't hurt the bodywork. Worked ONCE for me - wish I'd taken pictures....or not.

Pardon my ignorance, Pat, but how about using Gunk (brand) engine degreaser and then Gunk engine detailer? Any harm there?
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 21 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #94

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Nov 20 2012, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 18 2007, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Jan 18 2007, 07:05 AM) *

any tips on Engine bay cleaning? like to have it nicer in there.

mrhutrtlot.
Yes - two ways - and you'll hurtalot either way!

Method one - remove motor/trans. 2 hour cleanup from inside the bay (on jack stands). Do not use cleaning fluids that will render you duh or huh? Don't need them with contemporary chemicals, though I'd still wear a respirator. Really easy w/the motor out.

Method two - motor in. Lots more difficult, but can be done. Foremost, get a set of el-cheapo kneepads, and wear latex or rubber gloves. Why, becauseas you dig into the engine compartment you'll use your knees for bracing. Without the kneepads you'll make compression dents in the quarters. It's amazing what you can reach if you're not afraid of hurting the car, so dig in. First, remove everything removable (you didn't say what year your 914 was). Air filter, etc. Clean them separately. Then just tak some clean terry rags & start dgging for goo - you'll find plenty. Unless you're barely over 5 feet tall (like SOME people I know) you should be able to reach every cranny in there. After you've mopped up the really loose stuff, go back with another set of cloths lightly soaked in something like SimpleGreen or 409 (no solvents). Wipe until you come up with nothing. Take another fresh set of cloths (terry preferred) & do it again. I know it's simplistic sounding, but you need to reach into every fore/aft & side areas to do this - takes lots of rags & the wife will REALLY bitch when you throw them into the washer (trust me!). If you're forttunate, you'll have slim fingers to get under thigs like the induction tubes. If you're even MORE fortunate, you'll get your significant other involved to do this - they DO have very tiny fingers, that can get into places we gorillas cannot. Just be certain that the significant other realizes the daintiness of 914 bodywork - best to ask them to wear the kneepads & nothing else, so they don't hurt the bodywork. Worked ONCE for me - wish I'd taken pictures....or not.

Pardon my ignorance, Pat, but how about using Gunk (brand) engine degreaser and then Gunk engine detailer? Any harm there?

I have no experience with Gunk detailer, but will tell you that any product with solvents in it will wreak havoc on older/newer rubber parts...keep it away from these parts (they get more expensive to replace every year, if they are still available). i.e., never let petro solvents near any boots or seals. I still prefer Simple Green for these instances, though wear gloves.

Gunk, brake cleaner, etc. is fine for cleaning/detailing parts such as tranny/engine casings. Just be careful of overspray, since it may discolor painted and ruin rubber parts. Wear a mask too - that stuff (unprotected) could leave your lungs with problems down the road. Whatever you decide to use never, ever, ever use acetone (MEK - methyl ethyl ketone). It works better than anything else, but you may as well throw your lungs on the floor (even with a mask), and it is as explosive as can be. I know - been there.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 21 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #95

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

Thank you Pat for your advice and suggestions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
VG-914
post Aug 2 2018, 11:34 AM
Post #96

777AIA

Member No.: 12,980
Region Association: Southwest Region

mrhutrtlot.
Method two - motor in.

Helps to remove rear trunk and engine covers too! Drop cardboard in the trunk and have a seat for your cleaning efforts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
73-914
post Aug 3 2018, 04:47 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 11,651
Region Association: None

Used to use MEK in fiberglass boat building, very NASTY stuff
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Nov 13 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #98

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

Red spark plug wires not original but I like how they bring color to the bay plus I like how they are not laying on the engine. Air intakes are a larger grey too.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
AHudson
post Feb 19 2019, 11:12 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 22,112

Currently have an empty engine bay, but the re-marriage has been announced!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Mar 29 2019, 08:10 PM
Post #100

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

that looks damn nice... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:24 PM