Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1976 2.0 vacuum routing confusion
Hoss
post Jul 31 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,465

From the other side.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hoss
post Jul 31 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #22

Driver side.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Hoss
post Aug 1 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #23

Last one for now.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
type4org
post Aug 1 2006, 05:09 AM
Post #24

You need PLAID!

Member No.: 6,212

QUOTE(Hoss @ Aug 1 2006, 01:48 AM) *

Here are some other pics I took of my '76 with smog equipment as requested by Geoff Bleyseng in another thread. I thought I would post it here in case you decided to do a full write up with the correct routing for the Bird Board to host. I can take additional photos if there are specific requests.

Note that I do not have a hose on the part just under the smaller air filter. I checked your photos and could not see a similar angle for comparison.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm assuming your distributor advance side is not hooked up? On mine someone hooked up the advance where the EGR is hooked up on the throttle body and left the EGR disconnected. I have changed that since.

I'll check on the air pump connector from your first picture either later today or tomorrow. One single day before I had a regular appointment at the shop to have all rubber fuel hoses replaced the dang thing decides to drip gas from underneath the tank and I had to have it towed to the shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) That's where it's at right now.

I am assuming your vacuum hoses have all been replaced at some point, right?

+Quote Post
Hoss
post Aug 1 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(type4org @ Aug 1 2006, 04:09 AM) *

I'm assuming your distributor advance side is not hooked up? ...

I am assuming your vacuum hoses have all been replaced at some point, right?

Yes, on the vacuum hose replacements. PO records indicate that some of the hoses were replace in 1988, and one in 1993. It looks like some of them are actually newer, but I do not have a definitive replacement date.

I need to check the distributor advance to see if it is hooked up. I will get back to you on that, and look forward to your update after you get your smog check.
+Quote Post
type4org
post Oct 15 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #26

You need PLAID!

Member No.: 6,212

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 29 2006, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(type4org @ Jul 29 2006, 01:15 PM) *

I saved all the hoses and plan on creating my own diagram, complete with diameters and colors and lengths.

I am quite sure Pelican would be very very happy indeed to host this once it's done!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--DD

Sorry for the huge delay - only a few days ago was I able to replace the last line in the engine compartment, after having traveled 6 weeks and then repeatedly ordering just enough hose to *not* cover all my needs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Today I took all the vacuum/gas tank ventilation hose that I had carefully numbered and took measures, which I then compared against what I could find in the Porsche parts list and against Dave's existing diagram on the Pelican site. As the listing explains, after 30 years any hose will discolor and shrink, so I did not trust my ID measurements fully and the lengths were a little hard to accurately measure with pieces eternally set in their curvy routing position.

Since I am not artistically inclined I collated the information verbally, in a spreadsheet form. Connection point positions are described as clock face positions for those parts that have more than one hose connection. Imagine the clock by looking onto the engine from the top and the 12:00 position towards the front/passenger compartment, and the 6:00 position towards the rear/transmission.

To make sure everyone can read the information I am attaching it as PDF and RTF (rich text) format. Dave: If you can use this information to create a new diagram or extend your existing diagram, please do.

RTF:
Attached File  76914vaclines.rtf ( 2.6k ) Number of downloads: 216

PDF:
Attached File  76914vaclines.pdf ( 27.12k ) Number of downloads: 247

+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 9 2011, 01:07 PM
Post #27

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There is a lot of "stuff" on a CA 76 2.0L ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Restoring one myself I found not much detail on the variant power-plant but this was the best thread I could find.

Attached Image

One question I have is what is the correct throttle body?
Early units had 2 vac ports on either side of the unit. The rearward one connected to the adv(retard ?) side of the VAC can on the distributor. The retard side of that can open to the atmosphere.
Later TB's deleted the opposite nipple.
As it related to the correct vac line routing the example in this thread shows both?
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 11 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #28

Ah come on!! Arent there any late (75/76) & CA owners out there?
While the provided sheet is useful I'm a visual kind of guy some pics would really help.
+Quote Post
PancakePorsche
post Dec 12 2011, 01:30 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 13,373
Region Association: None

I have a California 76 and the EGR is connected to a "tee" in the vacuum line going from T.B. to distributor advance. Whether or not the EGR is working should have no real effect on your idle problem, however it does make a mess in the throttle body when it is working. Check T.B for cleanliness especially in the idle air bypass adjustment for idle speed.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 12 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Dec 11 2011, 11:30 PM) *

I have a California 76 and the EGR is connected to a "tee" in the vacuum line going from T.B. to distributor advance. Whether or not the EGR is working should have no real effect on your idle problem, however it does make a mess in the throttle body when it is working. Check T.B for cleanliness especially in the idle air bypass adjustment for idle speed.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)...Huh? What idle problem?
Im not sure what you are responding to but my focus was to get some information
& visual example of a complete & unmolested LATE (& CA) 2.0L engine & its accompanying vac. hose layout.
The original thread was as close as I could find after a search, but neither the OP or the other contributor have been active for yrs.
Can you post some detailed shots off your motors vac. & emmisions connections?
Thanks
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 12 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #31

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Attached ImageRich, Wouldn't it be similar to a combination of the late 74 2.0 and 74-75 1.8 which includes the EGR?

The CA '76 2.0 vacuum hoses should be identical to the Late 74 2.0 with the following revisions:

1. The charcoal filter moves over along side the battery and taps its supply from the passenger side of the fan housing (rather than the drivers side as shown on the 74 diagram).

2. The smog pump supply hose routes to the air injection tubing connection.

3. The EGR tube vaccum supply T's off the distributor advance tubing like the 74-75 1.8L

Looks like we need a diagram of this for reference.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 13 2011, 02:29 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 12 2011, 04:50 PM) *
The CA '76 2.0 vacuum hoses should be identical to the Late 74 2.0 with the following revisions:
1. The charcoal filter moves over along side the battery and taps its supply from the passenger side of the fan housing (rather than the drivers side as shown on the 74 diagram).
2. The smog pump supply hose routes to the air injection tubing connection.
3. The EGR tube vacuum supply T's off the distributor advance tubing like the 74-75 1.8L

Looks like we need a diagram of this for reference.

Not exactly, also
There is no flashback valve on the late cars (no head vents).
The late system doesn't use the stacked elbow on the plenum (plenum is different).
(D-Jet) TB's will have only one Vacuum port (?).
There are two configurations CA & non-CA
That Ive seen, non-CA don't use the EGR valve just the air injection plumbing
while CA cars have the additional valve & piping connecting back to the muffler + the additional electronics

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I guess Ill take a crack at it.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 5 2022, 01:49 PM
Post #33

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Delete
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:34 PM