Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Running Thunderhill Backward (clockwise), I really had a GREAT time!
nine14cats
post Jul 31 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

I ran the PCA-GGR 2 day time trial this past weekend at Thunderhill. 3 mile course in the reverse direction (clockwise) from the normally run direction. Pre-event feedback was that is wasn't a fun direction and was slower by an average of 2 to 5 seconds than going the normal way. I'd have to say that I must be in the minority because I just had a great time running it backwards!

While I enjoy running Buttonwillow both ways, the relative flatness of Buttonwillow makes it feel like the same course. Running THill in reverse direction gives it a whole new flavor. It feels significantly different to me. And it presents technical challenges that are new to me as well. With several steep, uphill elevation changes you are taking blind turns going up and over, versus going up and down in the normal direction. In fact, I'll have an in-car video cut down tonight or tomorrow to show what it's like.

My class is shaping up to be a close one for year end points. Of the 3 Time Trials that have been held, I have placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I currently hold the points lead but just barely. My competition is an experienced road racer in a car almost identical to mine in power/wt and an excellent Boxster AX driver who is learning to drive a 1850lb / 375HP 911 with no windshied or roof. We're actually having alot of fun and are debriefing each other about what we're seeing and sharing lines. I'd have to say we're sharing and learning from each other and basically having a good time, which is what the time trials should be about in my opinion.

At the start of the weekend I was WAY OFF the pace of the group of drivers I usually measure myself against. They were running 2:10's and I was running 2:18's. I run 2:07's in the regular direction, so I was sucking wind big time. For whatever reason I was not running the car even remotely hard. So I gave up my last session in my car to an excellent road racer, Rich Walton of Jerry Woods Enterprises and just went for the ride. Rich ran the car for about 15 minutes and ripped off some nice quick laps that got my adrenaline going. That night I went back to the hotel and replayed the lines Rich ran, which were significantly different than mine. By the time the next morning rolled around I had it in my head what I wanted to do.

First session in the morning I burned off a 2:09.5! That was almost an 8.5 second improvement from the day before! Talk about being happy....it made my weekend... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) I ended up running a 2:09.2 in the time trial and really should have had low 8's or high 7's as I f'd up the timed runs by fish tailing around at the top of turn 5/5A on each of the timed runs.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

A few of the turns that are really fun going in reverse direction is coming from 2 into 1 for the long straight. Because of the runout room going in that direction, you can get on full throttle and early apex that turn. It is downhill and you just accelerate through that turn like you won't believe. And the blind run up turn 9 is steep and ends at a short table top before a significant right hander. If you hold your foot into it going up the hill into 9, you have to pre-visualize the brake point and turn because you won't have time to do it when you get there.

If anyone gets a chance to run THill in reverse, try it out. Several people don't like it, but I found it to be a wonderful time with a great group of friends!

Can't wait to drive it in that direction again!

Video to come.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
nine14cats   Running Thunderhill Backward (clockwise)   Jul 31 2006, 05:21 PM
Brad Roberts   Sooo... Gary is running his red car again this yea...   Jul 31 2006, 05:27 PM
nine14cats  
  Aug 7 2006, 04:04 PM
Dan (Almaden Valley)   Thanks for the input Bill. As to the throwing of ...   Aug 7 2006, 04:16 PM
Brad Roberts   I forced a certain young german lady we all know t...   Aug 7 2006, 04:51 PM
nine14cats  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 09:30 PM