Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wiring Harness, How much does it weigh? How much could it weigh?
grantsfo
post Aug 2 2006, 07:23 AM
Post #21

Arrrrhhhh!

Group: Members
Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(drew365 @ Aug 1 2006, 05:17 PM) *

Anyone know how much is saved by eliminating the headlights, motors and doors and replacing with a fiberglass cover?

Its at least 15 lbs. Those things are boat anchors - the motors are real heavy and the assemblies are heavy as well. Then you have lights, covers, wiring, etc.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Aug 2 2006, 07:33 AM
Post #22

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(brant @ Aug 1 2006, 08:27 PM) *

Joe,

I could certainly afford to loose some weight myself..
but its kinda hard to get 300hp out of a 2.0 when the rules require an honest 1991cc and you decide not to cheat.

plus when the rules require only metal body panels, then a pound here and a pound there start to look appealing since your not allowed to buy CF.

auntie
brant

Metal isnt bad, you just need to get the course grade stuff on your sander spend a year sanding away the weight.

(IMG:http://imageserver.isnweb.com/MTN7320.jpg)
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 2 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #23

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

ha... thats true Grant.
I already did that where I could.
my "stock" roof for example is paper thin now, flexes with your pinkie, and weighs in somewhere under 10lbs now...

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 10 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Randal's car (which IIRC is a 75 chassis) had a 14 lbs wiring harness before I ripped into it and it weighed 3.5 lbs when I was done.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Aug 10 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #25

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE(Series9 @ Aug 1 2006, 08:19 PM) *

Try loosing some weight yourself (not aimed at anyone). It's easier.

Ha, I think the same thing. But then, realistically, I can remove the unnecessary wires from a wiring harness and eat a large supreme pizza in an hour... loosing 12lbs probably take me a month if I was even remotely serious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

No pizza, no speedo, no pizza, no speedo - hand me a slice while I throw this speedo on the used parts pile...

It is funny, but I do that - think "if I remove that and that and that from the car, that is like 20lbs. but then I could remove 40 from my frame, but the plasma cutter burns a bit. If you could only cut away 15lbs with some cheap tools...

I will try to remember to weigh what is left of my factory harness from the 72 ( I already removed a lot of wires, but added some in for other new items...) as I have to make a custom one for the tube car now... I think some of you guys will be surprised what a wiring harness weighs - more along the lines of McMarks values if you include the relay panel (which I do since I removed it).
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:12 PM