Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Suspension Geometry question, What cause a car to wander under heavy braking?
nine14cats
post Aug 2 2006, 01:55 AM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

I have a question for the suspension gurus out there. I am experiencing some wandering in my car during heavy braking out of high speed sections into sharp corners. Visualize turn 7 at Sears, turn 14 (CCW) at Thunderhill, turn 2 at Laguna Seca. When I get on the brakes hard, the car wanders and "twitches" a bit. The car doesn't jump and it's not out of control, but it keeps you busy, busier than I'd like. I'd like to refine the car to not exhibit this trait.

My thought (and others) is that under heavy braking the front squats and the toe out becomes excessive, allowing the car to follow the undulations in the track pavement.

What are possible causes of this as the front suspension goes through it's travel?

One possibility could be linked to my front strut steering arms on my car. I have coil over RSR style struts with "custom" bends in the arms. The shop that built the car put a custom bend in the arms when they fabricated the raised spindle. Can a non uniform bend to the arms contribute to excessive toe out under hard braking?

Thanks,

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
nine14cats   Suspension Geometry question   Aug 2 2006, 01:55 AM
groot   Assuming you don't have any significant toe co...   Aug 2 2006, 06:36 AM
john rogers   I agree with Kevin about the toe changes. On my ca...   Aug 2 2006, 07:37 AM
nine14cats   Thanks guys. I'll check both front and rear. ...   Aug 2 2006, 09:32 AM
groot   You can do a crude check for toe compliances by lo...   Aug 2 2006, 10:22 AM
nine14cats  
  Aug 4 2006, 02:43 PM
smdubovsky   Bill, if this is in the 911 - its something I know...   Aug 4 2006, 03:14 PM
nine14cats  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 01:25 PM