Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WWWWOT How to remove the smell of Vinegar?
jimtab
post Aug 6 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Howard @ Aug 6 2006, 08:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 6 2006, 08:03 PM) *

Take it to your local Coopersmith. Howard probably remembers Coopersmiths.
Elliot

Actually, Elliot, three guys were involved in barrel making. The smith did the wrought iron hoops, but the cooper planed the wood and built the barrel.

The third guy, usually a retired cooper or smith, too old to do the other jobs, drilled the bunghole. He was so old and creaky he had to sit sideways. He was called a flight engineer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

He's still got it...and his finger still stinks....from when he frist found it.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 6 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #22

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

BUNG HOLE...
+Quote Post
pfierb
post Aug 7 2006, 05:14 AM
Post #23

oldest member

From: The sign of good government in Connecticut is to keep raising taxes
Member No.: 4,008

QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 6 2006, 09:32 PM) *

Bleach! It cleans, purifies and leaves white spots all over your good cloths. Try it!

You are right if you wear old clothes no spots....don"t know why it only leaves spots on good clothes...must be osmotic attraction.
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Aug 7 2006, 06:32 AM
Post #24

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(trekkor @ Aug 6 2006, 07:28 PM) *

What are you using the barrel for? Just decoration?

If so, just pound two plugs into the bung holes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

KT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Just decoration, but the smell has been in the wood so long, that even with it corked, the smell would fill the house...
+Quote Post
maf914
post Aug 7 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #25

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

I guess you'll just have to store it in your wine cellar with all of the other barrels of wine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I think the chances of getting rid of the odor are pretty slim. That barrel was probably resued many times and the wood is probably saturated. I was watching a program I think on Discovery Channel and they were explaining how various liquors were made. In the sequence describing how scotch was made, the whiskey maker explained how a small percentage is lost through evaporation as the contents slowly work its way through the wood. Each batch of scotch was aged for four years, or so they claimed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

One interesting tidbit. American bourbon makers use new oak barrels that have been flame charred inside to develope the characteristic bourbon taste and color. They can get the results with only a fresh charred barrel, a single use. What do they do with the one-time used barrels? They sell them to scoth distillers in the UK who then use them repeatedly for aging scotch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Aug 7 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91

QUOTE(maf914 @ Aug 7 2006, 11:19 AM) *

I guess you'll just have to store it in your wine cellar with all of the other barrels of wine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I think the chances of getting rid of the odor are pretty slim. That barrel was probably resued many times and the wood is probably saturated. I was watching a program I think on Discovery Channel and they were explaining how various liquors were made. In the sequence describing how scotch was made, the whiskey maker explained how a small percentage is lost through evaporation as the contents slowly work its way through the wood. Each batch of scotch was aged for four years, or so they claimed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

One interesting tidbit. American bourbon makers use new oak barrels that have been flame charred inside to develope the characteristic bourbon taste and color. They can get the results with only a fresh charred barrel, a single use. What do they do with the one-time used barrels? They sell them to scoth distillers in the UK who then use them repeatedly for aging scotch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Actually a great deal of the single malt scotch is finished in Sherry or port barrels that have outlived there lives in that realm. The sherry and port flavors add great complexity to aged (12 years and more) that nothing else seems to surpass...I have an old bottle of Mc Callan (33yrs) and the sherry smell in in the aroma but isn't discernable to me at least, in the flavor of the whisky. Lovely stuff. By the bye, they scrape the charring off of the barrels before they use them for aging scotch whisky, at least most do....not sure about all of them. Scotch is our friend.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Howard
post Aug 7 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #27

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

Hey Jim,
Any chance of you making it to RRC? Bribe attached...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 06:10 AM