Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone do anything about the pedals placed way to the right?, Ergonomics is more noticeable with tight bucket seats...
neo914-6
post Aug 8 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #1

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

Since I have them out and need to locate an e-throttle and hydraulic clutch, I was thinking of moving them a little to the left. I realize there's not much room with the wheel well. I was also thinking of moving the steering wheel.

...not that I have alot of time to do so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Probably live with it, many of my sports cars were canted.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Aug 8 2006, 03:21 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

move the seat as far to the middle as possible

or mount it at a slight angle to the centerline of the car

or both
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 8 2006, 04:49 AM
Post #3

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

You moved my seat. Well it is a Sparco seat anyway so there is more room to play with.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 8 2006, 06:03 AM
Post #4

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

When I put my seat back in I angled it a little. Does not look to off and is much more comfortable.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 8 2006, 06:27 AM
Post #5

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

I've had people tell me that they hate the way the pedals are offset and how they never get use to it. Strange part is all this time driving my car on the street/track it has never really bothered me. Haven't really noticed it as being a big deal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
John
post Aug 8 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #6

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

I've had people tell me that they hate the way the pedals are offset and how they never get use to it. Strange part is all this time driving my car on the street/track it has never really bothered me. Haven't really noticed it as being a big deal.

Me too. Until someone mentioned it and I did some measuring, I didn't realize that it was crooked.

When I drove a fiero, it was much more noticable.
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Aug 8 2006, 09:12 AM
Post #7

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

What, you guys haven't gotten the surgery yet? Here's Eric Shea after his...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1064177103.jpg)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 8 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #8

CUMONIWANNARACEU

When I drove a fiero, it was much more noticable.
[/quote]

You drove a Fiero (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 8 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Wait until you drive a Viper. They are WAY off. Think: hyper extension of the knee. At least they have telescoping pedals.

I cant count how many times I have seen people mount racing seats in their 914's "straight on"

The column is angled.

When I mount a race seat, the front holes are 1/2 inch over from the rears. This turns the front of the seat into the pedals. You dont notice this with the stockers because they have NO side bolsters trying to hold your legs in tight.

B
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 8 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #10

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Damn it I have to agree with Brad again.

Race seats make it tough to left foot brake and heal toe because the seat Does keep your legs lined up in the seat.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 8 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Joe,

you gotta think.. sooner or later.. He *might* say something of value..LOL

B
+Quote Post
John
post Aug 8 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #12

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

You drove a Fiero

Yup, it was mom's car that I sort of inherited. When I traded it in on my commuter car, I got a grand for it. I thought I did pretty good.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 8 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #13

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 8 2006, 08:30 AM) *

Damn it I have to agree with Brad again.

Race seats make it tough to left foot brake and heal toe because the seat Does keep your legs lined up in the seat.

Joe, you need bigger feet. My size 12's heel and toe just fine.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Aug 8 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #14

neo life

Ok, give me the technical skinny. There are fixed hinged mounts in the rear and the front is held by vertical "teeth". Do you dump these and weld in new seat mounts? Or do you angle it above the sliders at the seat? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Aug 8 2006, 01:46 PM
Post #15

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 7 2006, 11:44 PM) *

Since I have them out and need to locate an e-throttle and hydraulic clutch, I was thinking of moving them a little to the left. I realize there's not much room with the wheel well. I was also thinking of moving the steering wheel.

Felix - I have a "bum" right hip and when I first installed my Corbeaus I couldn't help but notice how much the side of the seat dug into it just trying to drive it around. So, I measured away and realized the whole mess of the 914 - the pedals and stock seat mount straight and the steering column is angled. So, you don't really have to move the steering column....

I moved the seats inboard about 1.5" (both sides for symmetry, just make sure you really like your passengers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), then I removed the steering column and oblonged three of the four mount holes (sorry I don't have pics, but would be obvious to figure out). I left the front, left hole alone and used that as my new pivot. I oblonged the other three enough to allow the steering wheel to pivot around to parallel with the dash. It lined up really well with the seats, and the pedals felt MUCH better.

As for the steering rod, just need a die-grinder. I marked where the retaining bolt would slide thru on the rose-joints and die-ground a relief just like the stock piece has already. I still had plenty of splines to be safe and drove the car that way everyday for 4 or 5 years before starting the V8 car you have seen in progress.

edit - btw I made some simple aluminum plate brackets that mounted to the stock rail in the stock location and mounted the seats offset on the brackets.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Aug 8 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #16

neo life

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Aug 8 2006, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Aug 7 2006, 11:44 PM) *

Felix - I have a "bum" right hip and when I first installed my Corbeaus I couldn't help but notice how much the side of the seat dug into it just trying to drive it around. So, I measured away and realized the whole mess of the 914 - the pedals and stock seat mount straight and the steering column is angled. So, you don't really have to move the steering column....

I moved the seats inboard about 1.5" (both sides for symmetry, just make sure you really like your passengers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), then I removed the steering column and oblonged three of the four mount holes (sorry I don't have pics, but would be obvious to figure out). I left the front, left hole alone and used that as my new pivot. I oblonged the other three enough to allow the steering wheel to pivot around to parallel with the dash. It lined up really well with the seats, and the pedals felt MUCH better.

As for the steering rod, just need a die-grinder. I marked where the retaining bolt would slide thru on the rose-joints and die-ground a relief just like the stock piece has already. I still had plenty of splines to be safe and drove the car that way everyday for 4 or 5 years before starting the V8 car you have seen in progress.

edit - btw I made some simple aluminum plate brackets that mounted to the stock rail in the stock location and mounted the seats offset on the brackets.

Thanks Tim!

I like the steering angle solution. My motives are also to line up with the Audi dash that positioned more to the right.

Mark fabricated mount rails for my GT3 seat but I'll see what I can do to offset them.

Darn, I need to sort this out soon before having my backpad modified...

Hope the hip wasn't auto accident related.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:55 PM