Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pertronix Install Questions, On a /6 with carbs...
Allan
post Aug 11 2006, 09:00 AM
Post #21

Teenerless Weenie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 11 2006, 06:58 AM) *

Tach signal wire hooks to the little male blade terminal in the MSD box itself labeled "Tach Output"

I would go this route. Your tach should work without adapters with the MSD system. That 3 pin CD box was used, there is no telling how many miles it has on it and it's still close to 30 years old at best. Time for a newer system maybe?

The only wire left is the black one that was hooked to the coil+ so it must be for the tach signal. I've pretty much figured out the rest of the wiring so I'll go that route and see what happens.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 11 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #22

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Cool, I like the MSD/Pertronix set up's. Simple and effective. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Allan
post Aug 11 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #23

Teenerless Weenie

Anybody got an idea as to where I should set the plug gap?

Running MGK B6ES....
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 11 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #24

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

MGK huh....new plug on the market I see. Are they any good?

Try 45 - 55 thou.

I take your Crane castoffs...........
+Quote Post
Allan
post Aug 11 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #25

Teenerless Weenie

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 11 2006, 01:45 PM) *

MGK huh....new plug on the market I see. Are they any good?

Try 45 - 55 thou.

I take your Crane castoffs...........

Yeah, MGK. Bought em off of Eday...

45 - 55.

Okay.

Thought you already 6 or 7 sets of Crane kits? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Aug 11 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 391

Hopefully you have not just plugged in the black wire yet to see if it was the tach? I would recommend pulling the tach out of the dash, unplugging the feed wire and grounding it and then checking the other end to ground with a ohmmeter. Then open the connection at the tach and see if the resistance changes. If it does not, then check it for 12 volts with and without the key on. If you were to fry the MSD box after all this it would be a shame.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Aug 11 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #27

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

allan, alot of bum info here in this thread.....
**"What do you need the CDI box for when running a Pertronix? The CDI is for points-equipped distributors; can't see needing it with the Pertronix module."
Bullshit.- The CDI box just needs a signal when to fire. Points wear, optical and hall effects triggers dont. How could the MSD box like a points signal more than the same signal by a pertronix or crane? Multiple spark, and hotter spark dont change regardless of "points signal" to the box..... and since when are bigger gaps and a cleaner burn a bad thing?

**"Pertronix, MSD 6AL and a blue coil. That's all you need for reliable sevice."
A blue coil is a high impedance coil (~3 Ohm). a CDI coil tends to be around .5ohm or under... and delivers a hotter spark, and a whole lot more voltage behind that spark, to jump bigger gaps, and a stronger spark....

Basically you do the CDI and the Ptronix at the same time....
The pertronix just tells the MSD box when to deliver spark..... cake walk.

I run my gaps at 45-55

BTW - MSD box is analog, and uses "pills" to set rev limit... Mallory hyfire box is digital and has a rotary knob. cheaper and better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) hindsight is 20/20 tho LOL
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 12 2006, 07:51 AM
Post #28

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 11 2006, 08:58 PM) *

BTW - MSD box is analog, and uses "pills" to set rev limit... Mallory hyfire box is digital and has a rotary knob. cheaper and better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) hindsight is 20/20 tho LOL

Well, my Crane HI6 has TWO knobs to play with (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) ....so there.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Two, two knobs are better than one......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

And Allan, as explained on da phone, the hotter spark combined with larger gaps and multiple sparks does a couple of things:

1.) Besides keeping the plugs cleaner, it tries to assure a more complete burn to overcome poor fuel quality and poor combustion chamber design. (a hot fire turns wood to ashes, where a cold fire kinda makes charcoal).

2.) Being able to use a wider gap is like using a bigger match to light the fire.

3.) Having multiple big sparks is like having mutliple big matches to get er goin'.

4.) And best of all, the CDI system, whether painted red, gold or whatever, adds the highly souught after (spelled $) "BLING" to the ignition system.

I need more coffee.......
+Quote Post
Allan
post Aug 12 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #29

Teenerless Weenie

QUOTE(john rogers @ Aug 11 2006, 06:21 PM) *

Hopefully you have not just plugged in the black wire yet to see if it was the tach? I would recommend pulling the tach out of the dash, unplugging the feed wire and grounding it and then checking the other end to ground with a ohmmeter. Then open the connection at the tach and see if the resistance changes. If it does not, then check it for 12 volts with and without the key on. If you were to fry the MSD box after all this it would be a shame.

I'll make sure to do this before I plug it in.

Thanks
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 06:05 AM