Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PorSTi Project Thread…, Well that was fun, time to make some upgrades!
Amenson
post Feb 10 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #101

That's opposite lock!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

Phew, its been a while since I posted any progress, mostly because I have not made much. I have been away quite a bit since the beginning of December until now due to business and vacation travel.

I made a new steering column. This one is 2 inches shorter than the last which was desperately needed to make the driving position more comfortable. I also added another adjuster mechanism to help keep it from rotating. It works really well.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Have also been spending a lot of quality time with the wiring harness. I now have about 70% of the unneeded circuits out of the harness.

Attached Image

Scott

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 10 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #102

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Nice harness. Shouldn't the red and green wires go together? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

JK, your car looks good and your work superb. Can't wait to see the parking lot donut video when you're done.
+Quote Post
fat73
post Feb 11 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #103

W9R1

Member No.: 4,043
Region Association: South East States

Nice...What's the plan for gauges?

Ed aka W9R1
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Feb 11 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #104

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 10 2008, 03:51 PM) *

Nice harness. Shouldn't the red and green wires go together? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

JK, your car looks good and your work superb. Can't wait to see the parking lot donut video when you're done.

I don't think that donuts will be a problem. The engine in the car has already proven more than capable of doing donuts, with more than twice the tire....

Smoke!!!

QUOTE(fat73 @ Feb 10 2008, 11:01 PM) *

Ed aka W9R1

Gauges..I have a working prototype LCD designed to display a high contrast monochrome version of this:

Attached Image

I am working on the PCB layout now. It is designed to plug directly into the 3 Subaru instrument cluster connectors.

Attached Image

Sorry for the poor resolution...I have a lot of time into the design and I do not want it stolen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Scott
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Feb 11 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #105

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Sweet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
If you sitck with KPH on the LCD it looks like you're going pretty fast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
fat73
post Feb 12 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #106

W9R1

Member No.: 4,043
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 11 2008, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 10 2008, 03:51 PM) *

I don't think that donuts will be a problem. The engine in the car has already proven more than capable of doing donuts, with more than twice the tire....

Smoke!!!

QUOTE(fat73 @ Feb 10 2008, 11:01 PM) *

Ed aka W9R1

Gauges..I have a working prototype LCD designed to display a high contrast monochrome version of this:

Attached Image

I am working on the PCB layout now. It is designed to plug directly into the 3 Subaru instrument cluster connectors.

Attached Image

Sorry for the poor resolution...I have a lot of time into the design and I do not want it stolen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Scott

Now that's cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 30 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #107

That's opposite lock!!

Well, I was poking around under the car getting ready to some conversion related work on the PorSTi when I found a gift from the PO!!! Apparently when the longs were off to replace them he decided that it would be sufficient to prime this nice area of rust.

Attached Image

After much cutting and grinding to find good metal, I was left with a substantial hole…and this does not even show all of it.

Attached Image

I had a few hours on an airplane flying to Japan for some meetings, so I was able to read a few metal working books. When I returned I picked up some 16 gage sheet metal and started working.

Attached Image

I had to make a total of 3 pieces. The one inside the long was a SOB to get shaped and fit properly and nearly broke my will to continue. But I managed to get it in.

Attached Image

Once that was done the rest was somewhat fun…

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 30 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #108

That's opposite lock!!

…I took to opportunity to try my new tig welder to make a form. (I know...I really need to build a welding table)

Attached Image

Clamped it in the vice, beat on it a bit and tada, a part!

Attached Image

Second piece tacked in.

Attached Image

More beating, banging and welding and the third piece is in.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 30 2008, 07:26 PM
Post #109

That's opposite lock!!

And the inside. I am probably doing to make another piece for the inside to have double thickness where the jacking point goes.

Attached Image

Once I do a bit more grinding it should be hard to tell I did anything. Seems like a colossal waist of time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

Now hopefully I can get back to making it run.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Mar 30 2008, 08:23 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 8,018
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice work, wish I had a fraction of your welding skills !
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 4 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #111

That's opposite lock!!

I had a request a while back for some pictures of the IC routing. With the engine out I was able to get a couple good ones...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Nice and short...this thing should spool like mad. Ok, so most of the quick spool will be facilitated by the tiny turbo.
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Apr 5 2008, 11:38 AM
Post #112

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
How much more is there to do? Looks almost ready to go!

What is the number on the stock turbo? I am looking for a quick spool up at lower RPM's for AX and zooming around onramps.

Again, looks beautiful!

Nate
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 6 2008, 07:16 PM
Post #113

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(Zaney @ Apr 5 2008, 09:38 AM) *

Looks awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
How much more is there to do? Looks almost ready to go!

What is the number on the stock turbo? I am looking for a quick spool up at lower RPM's for AX and zooming around onramps.

Again, looks beautiful!

Nate

Thanks for the positive feedback. I only wish it were almost ready to go. The next things on the list and the last major tasks are to weld in the Engman long reinforcement kit and then install the coolant lines in the longs. After these, there are a load of little things to take care of but it should be all down hill from there.

The turbo is the stock VF39.

And now for the progress from the weekend. I made and welded in the inner layer of the repair area.

Attached Image

Fits great but can I weld it in? Sure, but the welds in back are not the prettiest. I could barely get the torch back there.

Attached Image

I had to make the spot type welds from the outside to make sure that I could get to them. Oh well, just more grinding to do.

Attached Image

Finally all ground down...No more rust!!!! Still waiting for the corner triangles from AA. Hopefully they arrive this week.

Attached Image

Now back to improving the car...
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 6 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #114

That's opposite lock!!

...which I did by installing the Tangerine inner console reinforcements. This was fun!!! What a great product.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I was sick of grinding so I left the welds alone. They don't look too bad, maybe I will just paint them and call it good.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 6 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #115

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Amenson @ Apr 6 2008, 05:16 PM) *

And now for the progress from the weekend.

where's your heater muffler ???
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Andy

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 6 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #116

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 6 2008, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Amenson @ Apr 6 2008, 05:16 PM) *

And now for the progress from the weekend.

where's your heater muffler ???
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Andy

I had to remove it so that I can get the radiator return tube through the long. I was hoping to run it through the heater muffler but the return tube is just a hair big. It is going to be a pain to support the tube w/o the muffler. The rad feed tube should just barely fit through the muffler on the other side...I hope.

Scott
+Quote Post
ipozestu
post Apr 15 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #117

Member No.: 8,281

QUOTE(Amenson @ Apr 4 2008, 08:51 PM) *

I had a request a while back for some pictures of the IC routing. With the engine out I was able to get a couple good ones...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Nice and short...this thing should spool like mad. Ok, so most of the quick spool will be facilitated by the tiny turbo.

NIce work on getting this put together. Just a couple comments. The O2 sensor in the yellow jacket is completely useless. That particular sensor provides monitor of the exhaust gas after the CATS. It has no control function. Using the stock ECU this will throw a CEL. It can be bypassed by throwing a resistor in there or performing a mechanical fix. The sensor with the blue jacket on the other hand is critical to the ECU. This is a very expensive wide band O2 sensor. The readings this sensor sends to the ECU in combination with measurements from the MAF, IAT, ECT, determines your fuel trim, timing. It is very important that this sensor be placed pre-turbo. Huge amounts a heat energy are consumed in the turbo that will throw this critical sensor for a loop.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 15 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #118

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(ipozestu @ Apr 15 2008, 08:13 AM) *

NIce work on getting this put together. Just a couple comments. The O2 sensor in the yellow jacket is completely useless. That particular sensor provides monitor of the exhaust gas after the CATS. It has no control function. Using the stock ECU this will throw a CEL. It can be bypassed by throwing a resistor in there or performing a mechanical fix. The sensor with the blue jacket on the other hand is critical to the ECU. This is a very expensive wide band O2 sensor. The readings this sensor sends to the ECU in combination with measurements from the MAF, IAT, ECT, determines your fuel trim, timing. It is very important that this sensor be placed pre-turbo. Huge amounts a heat energy are consumed in the turbo that will throw this critical sensor for a loop.

Ipozetsu,
Thank you for the comments. You are correct with most of them. The concern over the criticality of placing the wide band sensor after the turbo is a bit misplaced. The only issue it will cause is to delay the sensor heat up time after startup. This will delay operating in closed loop fuel control and is only an issue if I were to be concerned with startup emissions. The lack of a cat is clear indication that this is not a concern. Placing the wide band sensor after the turbo will make life a bit easier on it. There may be a small change to the transport time but nothing significant.

Scott
+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 15 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #119

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Scott I forgot are you tuning with engenuity? I am also thinking the after turbo o2 is gonna be tough. It's gotta be way cooler there. I am anxious to see.
Charliew
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 16 2008, 08:24 AM
Post #120

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 15 2008, 09:46 PM) *

Scott I forgot are you tuning with engenuity? I am also thinking the after turbo o2 is gonna be tough. It's gotta be way cooler there. I am anxious to see.
Charliew

Charliew,
You are correct that the turbo cools down the exhaust gas but as I replied to ipozestu, this only delays the sensor getting up to operating temperature. Once at operating temperature the lambda sensor will read the same before and after the turbo. The temperature difference before and after the turbo does not affect the composition of the exhaust gas.

I am not exactly sure what engenuity is but I am sure that it is a bit of a derogatory pun on my perceived design methodology. Please be assured that it is sound. I have been doing various types of controls design since I graduated in ’99 with my Electrical Engineering degree (and most of an ME). I am currently working for Bosch developing Electronic Stability Control as Lead Systems Engineer. How does my background help you trust that my feedback concerning engine control is correct? It does not, but it should help you understand that I am smart enough to identify what I do not know and ask somebody who does. Which is one of the great benefits of working in the in the controls side of the auto industry. I have several friends and many colleagues inside Bosch and at other suppliers and OEM’s that work in engine management development from R&D to production tuning. We discussed in depth about the placement of the wide band sensor while I was building the exhaust and established that it will not be a problem.

Keep the comments coming, I am open to feedback and very much enjoy friendly debate based on sound engineering principals and direct experience.
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:25 PM