Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PorSTi Project Thread…, Well that was fun, time to make some upgrades!
jd74914
post Apr 16 2008, 09:48 AM
Post #121

Its alive

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

He may have been talking about the open source code that some people have been using to "crack" the OE ECU. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Edit: I don't know if they are in existence anymore, but the description still on google is:

Enginuity is a free, open source application created for viewing, editing and tuning Engine Control Units (ECUs). Enginuity is written in Java and, as of version .20 alpha, uses XML to define ECU versions, meaning it is infinitely extensible and usable on any ECU you can retrieve an image from. Any information stored in your ECU (timing advance, fueling, boost, etc) may be altered, making your stock ECU nearly as powerful as expensive stand-alone units, better than piggy back units, and more functionality than commercial software costing in the thousands of dollars.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 16 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #122

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 16 2008, 07:48 AM) *

He may have been talking about the open source code that some people have been using to "crack" the OE ECU. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hmmm, now wouldn't that be embarrassing. I was figuring that it was some combination of engineering and intuition, with the connotation that I was making design decisions based on what I feel should work. If this is not the case then I apologize for the pompous chest thumping in my previous post.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 16 2008, 02:53 PM
Post #123

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

What I meant by after the turbo is that it might take to long to adjust the maps that far from the exhaust port. As in if you go to wot it will take the o2 awhile to adjust the afr and timing. Of course wot I think goes open loop so maybe it won't matter. I'm just going by the fact that I don't see it placed there on the many different configurations that are done on nasioc.

I may have mispelled it but engenuity is a programming method used on subarus. My son uses it on his sti and I thought maybe you might be fluent in it but I guess you don't fool with tuning. He is hopefully going to help me with mine as he tunes his 04 sti with it. He also uses utec delta and zietronics data logging but now thinks maybe all I will need is a stock retune. I like the utec delta's switch that lets him pick different maps for different fuels.
Sorry you misunderstood engenuity.

Also the stock ecu has the ability to learn a neat feature the aftermarket standalones don't have.

Oh yeah my son is an Aggie ME who also graduated in 03. My oldest son has a assoc degree in EE but he doesn't do hot rods.

Also where will you come into the longs with the radiator tubes in the front? I am still studying this tubes to the front deal.

Charliew
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 21 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #124

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 16 2008, 12:53 PM) *

What I meant by after the turbo is that it might take to long to adjust the maps that far from the exhaust port. As in if you go to wot it will take the o2 awhile to adjust the afr and timing. Of course wot I think goes open loop so maybe it won't matter. I'm just going by the fact that I don't see it placed there on the many different configurations that are done on nasioc.

I talked to a few more of my colleagues about the WB placement and after being analyzed to death (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) nobody has presented any evidence that there could be an issue. They are looking for some non proprietary algorithms or data for transport time. If I get anything that I can post I will put it up.

I may have mispelled it but engenuity is a programming method used on subarus. My son uses it on his sti and I thought maybe you might be fluent in it but I guess you don't fool with tuning. He is hopefully going to help me with mine as he tunes his 04 sti with it. He also uses utec delta and zietronics data logging but now thinks maybe all I will need is a stock retune. I like the utec delta's switch that lets him pick different maps for different fuels.
Sorry you misunderstood engenuity.

Nope not familiar with that programming method. I looked briefly at a few tuning tools when I purchased my first STi in '05 but have not done any research since then. I am avoiding modifying my current daily driver STi and the PorSTi is going to be tire limited until I flare the thing. Then maybe I will start upping the boost.

Also the stock ecu has the ability to learn a neat feature the aftermarket standalones don't have.

Having known somebody who did development on throttle by wire and know what goes into the failsafe systems, I think that I will be sticking with the stock ECU with this engine.

Also where will you come into the longs with the radiator tubes in the front? I am still studying this tubes to the front deal.

Charliew

I would really like to be able to post pictures of my radiator plumbing. Unfortunately I have been dealing with rustoration work the past month. Here is the best picture I have of the routing so far. Once past the fuel tank area, the cooling lines will follow the heater ducting into the engine compartment. I really wanted to run them through the center tunnel but was strongly advised not do it by a few people who tired.

Attached Image

I found a cooling fan that fits my radiator perfectly! Bought it here Spal Dual 11

Attached Image

One last bit of progress before getting into the Rustoration. I welded in the corner piece and made more of the fuel lines.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Apr 21 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #125

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Are you venting the radiator through the hood?
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 21 2008, 06:15 PM
Post #126

That's opposite lock!!

Now on to the rustoration. I think that the past two owners thought that primer, seam sealer, bondo and maybe even JB Weld were great rust encapsulation techniques. I found a few more "soft" spots wile repairing to install the Engman reinforcement kit.

Hmmm, that does not look quite right...

Attached Image

Nope, not right at all...

Attached Image

Get out the angle grinder again.

Attached Image

I know the hole on the right is really crooked. I made it soon after I realized the the lower half of the inner long is going to need to be completely replaced. The hole on the left is so that I can joint the SS bend to the tube.

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 21 2008, 06:22 PM
Post #127

That's opposite lock!!

....What in the hell is this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Attached Image

In case it is so bazaar that you do not recognize it, that is the PO's exquisite use of angle iron to replace the seat belt nut plate.

Hmmm, that does not look good either.

Attached Image

Not much more I can say that will not get censored by the admins.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
cobra94563
post Apr 21 2008, 06:35 PM
Post #128

Chris

Member No.: 3,696

..."I would really like to be able to post pictures of my radiator plumbing. Unfortunately I have been dealing with rustoration work the past month. Here is the best picture I have of the routing so far. Once past the fuel tank area, the cooling lines will follow the heater ducting into the engine compartment. I really wanted to run them through the center tunnel but was strongly advised not do it by a few people who tired."

I'm interested in seeing you the run the lines thru the longs. I thought that would be a good way to go, but didn't have the patience to figure out how to do it.

I did run them thru the center tunnel. No problem yet. Excess heat is not a problem, now that engine temp is under control. But even inside the longs, you will be accumulating the radiant heat. It is tight in the center tunnel, but no interference with the other stuff. I have not run on a hot day yet.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 21 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #129

That's opposite lock!!

But wait...that's not all!!!

This can't be good.

Attached Image

It is not!!

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 21 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #130

That's opposite lock!!

I actually tackled repairing the pedal area.

Attached Image

Attached Image

More work that should be invisible when I am finished.

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 21 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #131

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Apr 21 2008, 04:11 PM) *

Are you venting the radiator through the hood?

Yup, inspired by wbergtho's hood.

QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Apr 21 2008, 04:35 PM) *

I'm interested in seeing you the run the lines thru the longs. I thought that would be a good way to go, but didn't have the patience to figure out how to do it.

I did run them thru the center tunnel. No problem yet. Excess heat is not a problem, now that engine temp is under control. But even inside the longs, you will be accumulating the radiant heat. It is tight in the center tunnel, but no interference with the other stuff. I have not run on a hot day yet.

Will you post or send me some pictures of your installation.

Thanks
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post May 5 2008, 08:51 AM
Post #132

That's opposite lock!!

Saturday was the wedding shower and as expected we received a bunch of great gifts for domestic use. We (I;-) also received a couple of gifts for the garage. My future inlaws gave us a really nice cordless tool set with a reciprocating saw, 1/2" drill and cirular saw. I need to pick up some metal cutting blades for the saws and I will be ready for a parts car! My parents gave us a belt sander!

Attached Image

My parents and sister came in for the shower. Most of the weekend was spent entertaining but after we dropped my sister off at the airport on Sunday my parents spent some time helping in the garage. We cut out the lower portion of the inner passenger long. My Father insisted on doing all of the dirty work.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amenson
post May 5 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #133

That's opposite lock!!

This is my Mother helping:

Attached Image

I still need to finish removing the chunk up in the front. I left it in place for now so that I can use it for measurements and a template.

Attached Image

Thank you to everyone for all of the great gifts and help in the garage!

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post May 11 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #134

That's opposite lock!!

Made some more progress on the restoration work this weekend. Started by tackling this:

Attached Image

Gone!

Attached Image

Working on the new piece. I practiced tig welding by tig'ing all of the shrinking seams. It took much longer than mig welding but I needed the practice and the results are much nicer. It makes me angry ever time I see the previous owner's attempt to fix this area.

Attached Image

In place with much grinding to do.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amenson
post May 11 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #135

That's opposite lock!!

From the inside. Still need to weld the vertical piece in.

Attached Image

How did I remove the inch of crud that was caked between the firewalls???

Attached Image

Not sure why but I was particularly proud of myself for this simple contraption. Probably because I sat and stared at the crud in the hole for a while before I came up with it.

Attached Image

Hopefully by next weekend I will be done restoring and back to conversion work.
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 11 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #136

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Lookin good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Steel pipe is a good idea. I also use various sizes of rubber tubing to get into nooks and crannies (like the center tunnel).
+Quote Post
Amenson
post May 11 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #137

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(McMark @ May 11 2008, 06:05 PM) *

Steel pipe is a good idea. I also use various sizes of rubber tubing to get into nooks and crannies (like the center tunnel).

I used rubber and plastic tubes and compressed air on the other side and in the center tunnel...they worked ok. The wire brush at the tip really loosened up the crud.

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post May 18 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #138

That's opposite lock!!

I feel a lot better about the project after today. I mis-specified the size of the blanks for the passenger side inner long replacement panel so the ones my father brought would not work. It looked like I might not get to work on the most critical section of the repair work this weekend. I sent my Father the new dimensions and 2 days later new blanks show up. Thanks Pa!!! Today I made it fit, and did not need the extra one the he sent.

One end of the blank ready for cutting.

Attached Image

Cut and ready to go in:

Attached Image

Some adjustments required:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amenson
post May 18 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #139

That's opposite lock!!

It fits but the top needs to be cut. I decided to cut high enough so that I would cut through the patch panel and the existing inner long metal. Theoretically everything would line up with a saw sized gap between the panels.

Attached Image

It worked!!

Attached Image

Bottom

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amenson
post May 18 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #140

That's opposite lock!!

Inside:

Attached Image

I must add a thank you to my fiancee. She has been very supportive of all of the time I have been spending in the garage trying to get the PorSti on the road. Today she even made me dinner and came out into the garage to eat with me and the PorSti in the makeshift dining room I set up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Attached Image

Thanks Tara!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 03:48 PM