Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PorSTi Project Thread…, Well that was fun, time to make some upgrades!
charliew
post Mar 24 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #221

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,958

When I was modding my son's ic lines for his sti I got my bends from
http://www.stainlessworks.net

They are not cheap but the stuff is good.

Another solution is to buy knock off stuff on ebay and cut it up for the bends. I bought a sti downpipe that goes from the turbo to the muffler, about 5 feet long 3.0 od polished for not much I really don't remember but it will make most of the rear exhaust for the suby. The polished ss muffler with 3.0 od inlet and outlet was a different story.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GS Guy
post Mar 25 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #222

Member No.: 2,325
Region Association: North East States

Best "coolant materials" article I know of.

http://www.rjes.com/html/material_choice.html

According to this, a mix of steel (iron) and aluminum is OK, more noble materials like brass, copper and stainless steel to be avoided except in very small amounts.

Another source for SS elbows, seems to be a good compromise for quality (304 available) and price (much less than Burns). Custom bends too!

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/StoreFront

Jeff
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 25 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #223

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

QUOTE(GS Guy @ Mar 25 2009, 12:25 PM) *

Best "coolant materials" article I know of.

http://www.rjes.com/html/material_choice.html

According to this, a mix of steel (iron) and aluminum is OK, more noble materials like brass, copper and stainless steel to be avoided except in very small amounts.

Another source for SS elbows, seems to be a good compromise for quality (304 available) and price (much less than Burns). Custom bends too!

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/StoreFront

Jeff

Now those are some compelling articles. I am going to have to strongly consider going to aluminum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jun 8 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #224

That's opposite lock!!

I figured that it was time for another post and looking back at my pictures, one is long overdue.

One of the things distracting me from the forum is my new RC heli. This is my 4th bird and by far the best. It is an Align Trex 250. Not really relivant to my PorSti build thread but I did build it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) .

Started like this...
Attached Image

...and ended up like this.
Attached Image

Now on to the real stuff. I finally have my new axles assembled.

Mmmm, pretty
Attached Image

Probably not a new technique but it was novel to me. I used the old CV boots and a little plastic to make covers so that the packed CV's would not get nasty grease all over the place.
Attached Image

With the help of my Father I now have a battery box for the new tiny battery. I drew up the pattern, he had one of the guys at his work bend it from SS and I tig'ed it together.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jun 8 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #225

That's opposite lock!!

Bottom View (just to show the nice welds (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) )
Attached Image

My Mother took a cool picture of me welding while they visited. Not making a car part though...I needed a banzai tray so I fabbed one up.

Attached Image

In the car.

Attached Image

The next task was to install the new pedals but I need a new MIG before I could get started. After months of searching I found the right machine at the right price. The guy I purchased it from said that he had waxed it a few times, I did not belive him until I pulled the covers off and found wax residue stuck in the seams.

Attached Image

Pedals Set in place with the new base plate before cutting/welding.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jun 8 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #226

That's opposite lock!!

I welded an edge to support the back corner in the dip where the stock pedals mount.

Attached Image

Tacked in place from the top:

Attached Image

Tacked in place from the bottom:

Attached Image

Back corner support after welding:

Attached Image

After getting the mount in place it was time to fab up the switch/sensor mounts.

Finished throttle sensor mount:
Attached Image

Linkage:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jun 8 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #227

That's opposite lock!!

Clutch switch/pedal stop (Can you spot the TIG weld that I buggered up so badly that I had to grind it. Just when I think that I am getting good I really mess something up):

Attached Image

You can see the BLS between the two brake master cylinder rods.

Attached Image

Side shot:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Modified the throttle pedal to use the pivoting Suby pedal. Still need to add two set screws to the assembly to hold the shaft in the tube.

Attached Image

Will take some pictures of the box installed once it is finished. I am going to have to shift the clutch pedal away from the brake as things are a bit tight with normal shoes.

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jun 8 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #228

That's opposite lock!!

I also started making room for the new seats/sliders to fit. Still a lot of work to be done here.

Attached Image

Next up was the radiator fan mount. This took a lot of time to get right but I am very happy how it turned out.

Top mount prior to welding:

Attached Image

Both mounts welded in place:

Attached Image

Bolted up:

Attached Image

Next will be to fab up the hold downs. Am going to try to get that stared in the evenings this week.

That's all for now.

Scott
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Jun 9 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #229

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Scott, as usual. Top Notch work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Thanks for the update!

Nate
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 12 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #230

That's opposite lock!!

Still making progress, took a week off from work and the garage to tour the Finger Lakes region of New York. Apparently the lakes and hills in the region make it suitable for grape cultivation so there are a ton of wineries in the area. Probably tasted a bit over 200 wines. Not all of them were good but we found 6 cases worth that we liked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Made the hold downs for the radiator:

Starting point:
Attached Image

Ready to go on the rad:
Attached Image

Installed, still need to weld the sides:
Attached Image

Spent a load of time getting the chassis ready for the seat.
Attached Image

Bolted in, and the center storage still fits. I am going to need to recline the seat ~10deg to get the driving position right.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 12 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #231

That's opposite lock!!

Painted the pedal box parts.
Attached Image

Ready for assembly.
Attached Image

Had a bit of beer left after cleaning up for the night so I started assembly.
Attached Image

My wife gave me a trip to the local winery to make a couple batches of custom wine for my birthday. We bottled it the other week. I made the label for the red to commemorate what should be the year of the first drive of the PorSTi.
Attached Image

Not too far left to go...

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 19 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #232

That's opposite lock!!

Lots of progress this week.

I finished assembling the pedal box (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) only to find that the balance bar interferes with the throttle pedal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I really do not have the time to fix stupid mistakes like this.

Attached Image

The aluminum tubes arrived to replace the SS parts of the cooling system. Ordered them from Global Technology. Good quality stuff at a great price. Fast shipping as well.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Made the clutch slave cylinder mount per GS Guy's directions. Still need to clearance the shifter fork so that the heim joint fits properly. Looks like it should work really well.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 19 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #233

That's opposite lock!!

Mid way through fabbing the cooling line that crosses over. While I was fitting everything up I decided to redo the radiator exit stub. The one that came on the rad was at a very strange angle and would have interfered with the ducting. The new one looks much better too.

Attached Image

Everything fit together, ready for for the two halfs to be tacked together. I found that a piece of angle and a couple of hose clamps really helps with fitting and keeps everything straight and aligned while tacking.

Attached Image

All welded (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
Attached Image

Worked on plumbing the new pedal box..

"T" in the front.
Attached Image

No more adjustable prop valve in the back. Also notice the line coming out of the clutch tube. I ran the hydraulic line where the cable used to to live. Still need to trim and flare it.
Attached Image

Clutch and front master cylinders pretty much done. Still need to tweak them a bit. I messed up a few tubes so I ran out before I could finish the rear. There are no original brake lines left on the car. You can also see the lines to the brake fluid reservoir. Need to pick up some rubber grommets.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 19 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #234

That's opposite lock!!

After searching to the end of the internet I finally found a singe reservoir that woudl feed all three master cylinder and would fit where I wanted. Turns out that I had one in the garage for my other project car, a BMW 2002. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) It is getting full down there.

Attached Image

I am in full thrash mode to get the car done for the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit on August 15th. Starting last week I am taking every Friday off until Woodward. I did not quite get everything I needed finished this weekend, if I can't make up for it next week I may have to burn more vacation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jul 20 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #235

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

Wow, that is some beautiful work. Love the pedals.

Did you make the fuel cell?

John
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 20 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #236

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 20 2009, 07:39 AM) *

Wow, that is some beautiful work. Love the pedals.

Did you make the fuel cell?

John

The fuel cell came from Summit. I do not have the confidence to build something to contain gallons of flammable liquid quite yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 22 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #237

That's opposite lock!!

Made some parts the last couple of nights.

I started fitting the passenger seat and found that the right side needs to be directly above the reinforcing rib for the original seat mount in order for my wife to be comfortable with the seating position. Nice and strong location but I had to shorten the mount.

Cut out the middle.
Attached Image

Welded back together.
Attached Image

Made the final tube of the cooling system.
Attached Image

Installed, from above
Attached Image

From passenger side
Attached Image

I could fill it with water if I wanted to now. I should be excited but the looming deadline is is really weighing on me. That and all of the hoops to jump through trying to close on a house at the end of the month. The worst part of it is that by buying the house I am probably going to lose the band saw that is in the basement. The owner of the saw seems to be unwilling to sell it for a reasonable price.

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 25 2009, 09:26 PM
Post #238

That's opposite lock!!

Still plugging away...

I managed to install the passenger seat. While this may not seem like such a huge feat, because the threaded inserts in the Momo seat were no where near where they belonged (based on the other seat), it was a huge pain in the ass. I wish I would have realized this when I first purchased the seats, I would have returned it. Now they do not make this style any more so I am stuck. Oh well, I made it work.

With the passenger seat in place I was able to mark the harness shoulder mounts. Took the seats out and installed the mounts.

Attached Image

After remaking a few lines, the pedal box plumbing is finished...

Attached Image

...so I took everything back out and repainted the floor for the third, and hopefully last time. No more bare metal, can hardy tell I did anything down there.

Attached Image

Tomorrow the engine/trans come out so that I can button everything up. There are a number of fittings and hoses that need crush washers and clamps installed/tightened.

Scott
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Jul 26 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #239

Member No.: 8,018
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looking great, still love looking at those welds. Good luck with the deadline !
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 27 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #240

That's opposite lock!!

Lots more progress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Pedals are back in, hopefully for good.

Attached Image

Painted the front trunk. I did not intend to paint the entire bottom but dripped paint when covering the bare metal. I figured that it would happen so I prepped it proactively. Also installed the isolating rubber. The stuff below the fuel cell is black. The high temp stuff for the radiator is red.

Attached Image

Back in, I decided to take a few minutes to paint the hold down straps as well.

Attached Image

Out comes the drive-train. I tried leaving the trans mounts in place and just remove the nuts from the mounting ears...unfortunately the intercooler is in the way and I still ended up removing the mounts. I just realized that I could invert the mounting bolts so that the nuts are on top and could leave the mounts in. Any reason that this would be a bad idea?

Attached Image

I also realised today that I did not make the exhaust so that I could remove the trans w/o dropping the header. Damn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) Put that on the list for REV2.

Attached Image

I pulled the trans so that I could clearance the clutch fork for the slave cylinder heim joint. Unfortunately I did not get a very good picture of it.

Attached Image

+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:10 PM