Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PorSTi Project Thread…, Well that was fun, time to make some upgrades!
geniusanthony
post Jul 27 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #241

Its a brand new "Chrome-sicle"

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,266
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I kinda wanna see the bonzai that you made the tray for, Is that doable? I mean since you made it it kinda counts to the thread. You're doin great work though.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 27 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #242

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

Detached Trans.

Attached Image

Slave cylinder attached at both ends for the first time.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I have a bit of welding to do. Unfortunately I found that it takes more than the 30amps that I am currently fused at to weld the BOV mount. Home Depot does not carry the size fuse that I need so I am stalled until I find an industrial electrical supply shop.

Attached Image

The engine after a day's work. See the difference? Didn't think so, neither can I. What is different is my confidence that nothing is going to fall off or leak once I start the thing up. I also cleaned up the intercooler mounts and a few other parts that I made before I had the belt sander.

Attached Image

I spent the evening yesterday and this morning assisting/monitoring the owner dissemble/remove the equipment that is in the house that I should own by the end of this week. Fortunately the band saw is still here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) We could not come to an agreement on the price but the guy decided that he would leave it until we worked out a price or he sells it to somebody else. Based on what he is asking for it, I do not see it leaving.

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 27 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #243

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Jul 27 2009, 07:55 PM) *

I kinda wanna see the bonzai that you made the tray for, Is that doable? I mean since you made it it kinda counts to the thread. You're doin great work though.

No problem. I am just starting with the bonsai hobby so I harvested a sapling silver maple from my back yard that had a really nice start on some interest roots/trunk to use as a trainer tree. The little guy is a 15 year old kingsville boxwood that I picked up at the local arboretum.

Attached Image
Attached Image

The poor thing has has had a rough life. Apart from me uprooting it during the summer dormant period, one of the deer in my backyard decided that it looked tasty. He ate half of it and threw the rest on the ground.

Attached Image

I repotted it and it is still hanging in there. The deer gave me an excuse to experiment with a partial defoliation to promote smaller leaf and internode length. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) If I can keep it alive it should be a great tree with really good character in 15 years.

Scott
+Quote Post
GS Guy
post Jul 28 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #244

Member No.: 2,325
Region Association: North East States

Looking good Scott - that clutch set-up looks very familiar! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I like it as it puts the bleeder up high, and keeps any side loads off the clutch fork. Looks a little close to the exhaust? Might need a shield of some sorts?
I decided to fit a couple of springs onto mine as well - one to keep the fork compressed against the pivot bolt, and a return spring pulling the fork towards the engine (hopefully keeping any unnecessary loads off the throughout bearing?).

Couple of questions:
Any concerns about the post-turbo exhaust being bolted tightly to the trans (with no flexibility for expansion)?
Also - what kind of coupler did you find that will fit the turbo compressor inlet? Mine measures 2.2" OD - a little too big for a 2" and little too small for 2.25" connector. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Keep up the nice work!
Jeff
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 28 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #245

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(GS Guy @ Jul 28 2009, 05:45 PM) *

Looking good Scott - that clutch set-up looks very familiar! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I like it as it puts the bleeder up high, and keeps any side loads off the clutch fork. Looks a little close to the exhaust? Might need a shield of some sorts?

I am considering what to do about heat management. I may end up wrapping the whole left side of the exhaust to the "Y" to keep the trans and save cylinder cool. I am pretty sure that I am going to need to shield the passenger damper from the turbo as well.

I decided to fit a couple of springs onto mine as well - one to keep the fork compressed against the pivot bolt, and a return spring pulling the fork towards the engine (hopefully keeping any unnecessary loads off the throughout bearing?).

Couple of questions:
Any concerns about the post-turbo exhaust being bolted tightly to the trans (with no flexibility for expansion)?

We (my buddies and I) discussed putting in a flex section when I was making that part of the exhaust and decided that it probably would be ok. Will be able to tell pretty easily if it needs one or not by loosening mounting bolts on the end of the trans after a couple hard heat cycles.

Also - what kind of coupler did you find that will fit the turbo compressor inlet? Mine measures 2.2" OD - a little too big for a 2" and little too small for 2.25" connector. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I remember having a similar dilemma. I think that I used a 2.25. I will see if I can find what I bought tomorrow.

I just finished welding the intercooler. Did not go too badly considering all of the crazy angles and vastly different material thicknesses that I had to deal with. It got a bit goobery in a couple of places but I did not blow any holes and it should be leak free and crack resistant. I made the whole thing hot enough that when I blew compressed air in one side, the air coming out the other was too hot to hold my hand in front of more than a couple of seconds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image

When I was shutting down the garage for the night I found myself standing and admiring the drivetrain from this angle. May just be a father's pride but damn is it purty. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached Image

Scott
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 28 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #246

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

It is beautiful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Loving the progress.

Why not use the internal wastegate?
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 29 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #247

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 28 2009, 09:40 PM) *

It is beautiful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Loving the progress.

Why not use the internal wastegate?

I may not quite understand the question. I am using the internal wastegate on the turbo. Maybe you are thinking about the recirculating blow off valve on the side of the intercooler? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Scott
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jul 29 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #248

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nice work!

Maybe this is the wrong time to ask, but how do you expect change the oil and plugs on that engine?
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 29 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #249

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(kwales @ Jul 29 2009, 09:15 AM) *

Nice work!

Maybe this is the wrong time to ask, but how do you expect change the oil and plugs on that engine?

Changing the oil is very easy. I ordered the oil pan with the drain in the middle of the front so when I jack up the rear of the car the oil comes right out. The oil filter is easily acessable at the front of the engine as well.

The plugs will not be so bad to change. I will have to remove the AL tube feeding the turbo but other than that there is nothing really in the way. It will be much easier than changing the plugs with that engine in the Suby, that is a pain in the ass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Scott
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jul 29 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #250

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Glad you thought it out.

I had visions of that engine being serviced a la Boxter- ie- everything is accessed from the bottom...
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 30 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #251

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I may not quite understand the question.

Nope, I was confused. I understand now.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 2 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #252

That's opposite lock!!

Lots has happened since my last post.

My wife and I purchased our first house on Friday! Thankfully it is the house that we are currently living in so the move will not be so bad...already done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Now that we own it the house projects will start ramping up, yet another good reason to get the car on the road in the next 2 weeks.

Attached Image

Suby wires touched the car for the first time. Had to make the mount for the main fuse box before the engine went back in. The harness was quickly returned to the basement for further modification.

Attached Image

While going through the parts bins I realized that I forgot to install the gaskets for the timing belt covers, so off those came. While I was in the area I helicoiled the alternator/PS bracket bolt that the dealership stripped when I brought the donor car to them for a new power steering pump. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

Hopefully the last picture of the firewall like this for a while. I went through and tightened everything while I had easy access.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 2 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #253

That's opposite lock!!

A gratuitous glamor shot on the way back home.

Attached Image

Home again.

Attached Image

Made and mounted the line for the slave cylinder. Can't hook it up because my SnapOn inverted flare took broke. This is the first really crappy tool that I have purchased from them.

Attached Image

Shift linkage is in.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 2 2009, 09:58 PM
Post #254

That's opposite lock!!

Also installed the drivers seat and shifter. I was going to leave the seat out until the last minute to keep it from getting scuffed up but decided that it would probably be a good idea to give my wife someplace to sit when she is helping me bleed the brakes. Plus it makes the car seem more drivable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached Image

I still have some mechanical stuff to finish up but am going to start spending the majority of the time working on the wiring. Less than 2 weeks until Woodward, must stay focused. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Scott
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Aug 3 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #255

Member No.: 7,611
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm really jealous. I'm still in the staring at the motor in the car and wondering how to reconnect all the loose vacuum lines and plugs. Then I still need to figure out how to get an intercooler to stay put in there.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 3 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #256

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(pktzygt @ Aug 3 2009, 01:27 PM) *

I'm really jealous. I'm still in the staring at the motor in the car and wondering how to reconnect all the loose vacuum lines and plugs. Then I still need to figure out how to get an intercooler to stay put in there.

You would not be jealous if you knew how much time it has taken to get this point.

I would recommend going to the Subaru technical website and download the factory manual for the engine"s donor car. Very useful stuff.

Oh, and it really helps to have the same car that the engine came from in your driveway to look at when you get stuck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Keep at it,
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 5 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #257

That's opposite lock!!

Still plugging away.

My new flare tool came in so I finished the clutch plumbing.
Attached Image

Figured I should give it a try so I bled all three new hydraulic circuits. Takes a while to fill all those lines but got it done with the help of my wife. The clutch seems to work very well. The brakes are, well...stiff, to put it mildly. The master cylinders are sized for the new calipers, not the ones on there now.

First fluid in the car!!!
Attached Image

Looks so sad up on the stands w/o wheels.

Attached Image

I also installed all of the intake plumbing clamps. Bought a boatload of T-clamps and it was so tight in places that I had to resort back to regular old hose clamps.

Attached Image

And installed the driver's harness. Unfortunatly it might not work very well because I am probably going to run out of adjustment. The belts are made to be installed in normal sedans with a much larger gap between the mounting point and the seat.

Attached Image

Did a bunch of other things not picture worthy like install the rubber strip under the fuel cell straps and tighten everything up, ran the soft part of the return line, set all of the steering coupler positions and tightened everything down, and worked on the wiring harness.

Still more to go but the end is in sight.

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 7 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #258

That's opposite lock!!

Today was harness day, and what a day it was.

Apparently this is what I look like after 10, nearly continuous, hours of working on the harness. Not pretty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Attached Image

This is what I removed.

Attached Image

This is what is left.

Attached Image

I can't seem to find the main cruise control switch, rear blinkers, or brake lights. Other than that, everything that I need is there and labled. There are a few things that I have not identified yet. Hopefully get these things figured out first thing tomorrow morning so that I can wrap it up a bit and lay it in the car to see where things will mount and how much I will need to extend parts of the harness to get to the front of the car. I know that the harness in the back could be shortened up a bit but that will be a winter project. Now I just need to do what is necessary to get it running.

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 9 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #259

That's opposite lock!!

Still not running. It seems like the to do list is infinite, just when I think that it is getting shorter I find new things to add. I was really hoping to have it running today. Not going to happen. I did take tomorrow off from work so I should be able to get it to fire tomorrow.

Here is the harness pretty much ready to go for initial fitting.
Attached Image

Subaru made the main chunk of the harness in two parts that seperate by a load of connectors. Here is the left half.
Attached Image

In the car. The loose wires dangling below the fuse box are the radiator fan and headlight circuits. They will be extended to the front and then wrapped.
Attached Image

I decided that in order to reduce the potential bugs, I would start the engine before I start lengthening the harness to the front. This means that all of the switches, sensor, etc will be in the trunk for startup. Once everything is working as expected I will start cutting/splicing.

Finished the top to the coolant filler tank. It was nice to pick up the torch again after staring at wires for 3 days straight.
Attached Image

Filled it with trans fluid and oil.
Attached Image

Also wrapped the exhaust going under the trans and tidied up/tightened a load of other things. It is going to be very tight getting it ready for next weekend but there is still a real chance. Tomorrow will tell.

Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 10 2009, 10:17 PM
Post #260

That's opposite lock!!

Running!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kembTjP-4ao

It would have started on the first turn of the key had I remembered that the clutch needs to be pressed. The ecu is not entirly happy and then there is the small matter that everything is still in the trunk. Oh, and based on the valve noise I did not quite get the valve clearances quite right.

Much more to do and not much time before Woodward. I have had it for today, time for bed.

Scott
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:49 AM