Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PorSTi Project Thread…, Well that was fun, time to make some upgrades!
Amenson
post Jan 17 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #301

That's opposite lock!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

While I was sitting in the driver's seat admiring my new dash and making engine noises I happened to decide to row through the gears. Much to my dismay, I was really disappointed by the sloppiness of the shift linkage. I have a RennShift and when I first installed it I was blown away by how much it improved the feeling over the short shift kit I already had. I soon found myself disappointed with that so I upgraded the new rear shift bushing with a Patrick brass bushing. That made an improvement in the feel also but I guess the incremental improvements have warn off and now I need something better.

So I ordered the JWest Shift linkage based mostly on the review SirAndy did a while back...if this is as good as it get's then I need one.

I did a search and read through his installation threads and the JWest instructions but have yet to find a picture of what it looks like installed on a stock 4 cyl side shifter. If you have a picture, will you please post one here. I would really like to see the position of the front joint on the crooked rear shaft.

Cheers
Scott
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 17 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #302

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Amenson @ Jan 17 2011, 09:24 AM) *
I did a search and read through his installation threads and the JWest instructions but have yet to find a picture of what it looks like installed on a stock 4 cyl side shifter. If you have a picture, will you please post one here. I would really like to see the position of the front joint on the crooked rear shaft.

I could probably crawl under the car and take a picture, but i'm using a straight shift rod on the /6 so that might not help you much ...

One thing to note, when you cut and weld the shift rod, make sure both ends are exactly in the same plane!
Meaning, the part that slides into the front coupler needs to be in the same 3D plane as the part that slides into the transmission console.
If you don't get that right, you will get some binding in certain positions ...

I am very happy with my JWest setup. I think as far as shift rods go, this is probably the best shifting you will ever get for a 914.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

The only thing better would probably be to ditch the rod setup completely and go with a good cable shifter solution ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 17 2011, 05:37 PM
Post #303

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 17 2011, 09:56 AM) *

I could probably crawl under the car and take a picture, but i'm using a straight shift rod on the /6 so that might not help you much ...

There are already some really nice pictures in your instillation thread. Very good writeup, thanks for taking the time to make it.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 17 2011, 09:56 AM) *

One thing to note, when you cut and weld the shift rod, make sure both ends are exactly in the same plane!
Meaning, the part that slides into the front coupler needs to be in the same 3D plane as the part that slides into the transmission console.
If you don't get that right, you will get some binding in certain positions ...

This is exactly why I want to see a picture. Taking some very quick measurements of my spare rear bar based on the JWest instructions, the front u-joint would end up almost in the same place as the first bend in the bar. This makes the front splined stub significantly un-parallel to the rear splined stub. I must have messed up the measurements but want to see a picture to prove it.

Cheers
Scott
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Feb 16 2011, 01:40 PM
Post #304

Member No.: 10,305

Scott,
I'm glad you're happy with the dash and thank you for the kind words.
It is nice to help and see your project come together.
I like your STI instrument cluster, it's going to look great all lit up.

I don't know how many time I have pulled my dash and wires out. I still have little unsolved problems like the dimmer circuit not dimming, thinking about putting a map light in the dash just above the radio. Maybe satellite tweeters at the end of the dash and my last and final clean up of all wires will have me pulling it all out at least one more time.

I was looking back at your great VSS set up. I like that better then the one I mounted to my CV. Do you recall the brand?

As for shifting, I used a cable shift but still think the Porsche transaxle is the biggest problem. I already had my KEP adapter and wanted to get on the road. So, I let the guys work out the bugs on the Subie trans. Maybe a little late but in the end the path has been cleared and I expect that is the way to go.

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Feb 10 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #305

That's opposite lock!!

It was just pointed out to me that it was basically a year since the last update. Sadly I have not make enough progress to actually drive the car.

I have been slogging through the harness and am just about to the point that I can pull it back out and start reconnecting all of the wires after the latest re-org of the component locations.

I also worked on the radiator ducting a bit and will have to suck it up and cut the hole in the hood.

I finally got around to purchasing a new shift linkage. I missed the opportunity to pick up a J-west setup before they discontinued it so I ended up getting the kit from CFR. After fussing a bit to make sure that I got the holes in the shift console in the correct place the kit bolted right in and is nice and precise. The the supplied metal hole location template made the process very straight forward.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Having now eliminated all of the slop between the top of the shifter to the input shaft on the transmission I am still not overly impressed with the shift feeling. I know it is a 30 year old transmission design but with my BMW 2002 transmission, when all of the bushings are replaces with brass, it feels like you have your hand inside the transmission directly moving the shift forks.

I was hoping for a similar feel with my 901, but when when in gear there is quite a bit of movement in the shift lever shaft both in rotation and in/out.

Is something wrong with my transaxle or is that how they all are?
How much movement should I expect to get with "healthy" 901 in gear?

Regards
Scott
+Quote Post
dian
post Sep 16 2012, 11:26 AM
Post #306

Member No.: 13,583

how come this thread is inactive? so much to learn.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Nov 9 2012, 12:01 PM
Post #307

QUOTE(dian @ Sep 16 2012, 09:26 AM) *

how come this thread is inactive? so much to learn.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Scott, Its that time again.
Your yearly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Nov 29 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #308

That's opposite lock!!

Hi All,
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been a little busy lately. I know, you are probably expecting the same old story, bla, bla bla, work, family, money, bla, bla, bla. Not this time!

I am finally building my dream garage. Spent the last year designing it and broke ground at the end of October. We (myself, wife, father-in-law and other misc friends/family) are building it ourselves. The only thing that we contracted was the foundation and concrete work.

Attached Image

The new garage shop is 1300 sq.Ft. Daily drivers will live in the two car garage. We are also finishing/expanding the breezeway so that we have an office, laundry room, half bath and mud room.
Attached Image

Fish-eye shot of the new space. Ceiling over the parking are is 11.5ft for lift room.
Attached Image

I built in a half lift that I found on Craigslist a few months ago, still need to refinish it.

Attached Image

Part of the project was to buy a "work" truck. Picked up a '70 C10 with a modded 350. Total burnout monster...also good for hauling 800 lbs of steel siding to the scrap yard. Already installed power steering/brakes and harvested an 80's C10 front suspension to convert to disk brakes and front anti roll bar. Will be lowering it soon to make it easier to load. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Attached Image

It will definitely be a few months until I get back to the Porsti project. I can't even move it into the new shop because the concrete is still curing so I can not apply the stain/sealer.
Attached Image

Need to get it done before I get my '72 2002 back home.

Stay tuned!
Cheers
Scott

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 6 2013, 08:48 AM
Post #309

That's opposite lock!!

Well, still no progress on getting the PorSti closer to driving but the weather has kept us from working on the exterior of the construction project so we were able to move some stuff to the new garage. The 914 included (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image

It is really motivating to see it off of the jack stands.

Attached Image

I am not able to install the coating on the garage floor until spring so I can only setup a temporary workspace. Should be just enough to make some progress this winter.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Jan 6 2013, 11:16 AM
Post #310

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 6 2013, 02:00 AM) *

Man, that looks like a real nice place to wrench! Turns out your only an hour and a half from me... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Thomas
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Jan 6 2013, 11:17 AM
Post #311

I have no idea why it quoted rob above? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jan 6 2013, 11:27 AM
Post #312

Wow, nice. Heat and all.
Wish my house has that big.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 6 2013, 02:45 PM
Post #313

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jan 6 2013, 09:16 AM) *

Man, that looks like a real nice place to wrench! Turns out your only an hour and a half from me... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Thomas

Let me know if you get over my way and want to stop in sometime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jan 6 2013, 09:27 AM) *

Wow, nice. Heat and all.

Without a ceiling the main forced air heater mostly just warms the attic area. The induction heater directly over the car helps a bit more but only in a very small area. Better than nothing but far from efficient.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Jan 6 2013, 03:50 PM
Post #314

QUOTE(Amenson @ Jan 6 2013, 03:45 PM) *

Thomas

Let me know if you get over my way and want to stop in sometime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Cheers,
Scott

Will do! I'm in Columbus area quite frequent.

I know Ross wanted to plan a get together in the cinci area, maybe we could have you join?

Thomas
+Quote Post
Dasnowman
post Jan 6 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #315

You miss 100% of shots you don't take!

Member No.: 14,477
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Amenson @ Sep 29 2010, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 23 2010, 08:09 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

Oh man, I stared too long at all those wires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Seriously, amazing work! I couldn't even begin to think I could keep track of all that. What a cool project!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

They are all color coded (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)

lol I was thinking the same thing about what I might be into if and when I do a Suby swap.

I was wondering if you could steal HID adjuster motor switch from a STi and use that, you might even be able to have it open just a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and all the way?

But I might be just talking out my ass, just know some of the Nasioc guys have done retro fits on non HID cars.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jan 7 2013, 01:19 AM
Post #316

QUOTE(Amenson @ Jan 6 2013, 12:45 PM) *

Thomas

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jan 6 2013, 09:27 AM) *

Wow, nice. Heat and all.

Without a ceiling the main forced air heater mostly just warms the attic area. The induction heater directly over the car helps a bit more but only in a very small area. Better than nothing but far from efficient.

Cheers,
Scott

Sounds like all you need now is a good ceiling fan. or 4
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 7 2013, 06:00 PM
Post #317

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jan 6 2013, 01:50 PM) *

I know Ross wanted to plan a get together in the cinci area, maybe we could have you join?

Thomas

Let me know when you start making plans.

QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Jan 6 2013, 03:37 PM) *

I was wondering if you could steal HID adjuster motor switch from a STi and use that, you might even be able to have it open just a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and all the way?

But I might be just talking out my ass, just know some of the Nasioc guys have done retro fits on non HID cars.

It might be possible. The motor on the adjustable low beams is pretty small though.
I should have a spare headlight to tinker with thanks to an inattentive driver that smashed the front of my daily driver STi. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jan 6 2013, 11:19 PM) *

Sounds like all you need now is a good ceiling fan. or 4

I can't install ceiling fans until I get power installed...which is on hold until the budget has a few months to recover.
+Quote Post
tornik550
post Jan 7 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #318

Member No.: 7,486

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jan 6 2013, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Amenson @ Jan 6 2013, 03:45 PM) *

Thomas

Cheers,
Scott

Thomas

im up for a get together in the columbus area.
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Jan 7 2013, 09:36 PM
Post #319

[quote name='tornik550' date='Jan 7 2013, 07:09 PM' post='1798360']
[quote name='tscrihfield' post='1797711' date='Jan 6 2013, 04:50 PM']

[/quote]

Thomas
[/quote]

im up for a get together in the columbus area.
[/quote]

That's a possibility for a garage opening/finishing celebration? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
I know there are a few teeners around columbus....
+Quote Post
edwin
post Jan 8 2013, 08:11 AM
Post #320

Member No.: 10,384
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

What are you doing for a floor coating?
2pac I assume?
Dad insisted on it in our shed and we are both a little upset with how it turned out.
I was hesitant after seeing a few workshops with lots of marks and ours is no different.
Welding means putting a mat down now.
Much prefer the idea of pvc tiles or something similar if a coating is needed
Just a thought
Edwin
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:48 AM