Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 24 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PorSTi Project Thread…, Well that was fun, time to make some upgrades!
Mike Bellis
post Dec 4 2014, 09:58 PM
Post #421

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

When I did my first V8 conversion I use the "upgrade 911 mounts". First start, put it in second gear, eased the clutch pedal up with no gas, ripped the 911 mount apart at idle torque.

I went to solid steel after that. Never had another problem.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 9 2014, 08:57 PM
Post #422

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

I couldn't stand looking at the suby trans sitting under the bench any longer so I pulled the 901 and bolted up the 5mt after work today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Liberated from the 901.
Attached Image

The clutch assembly feels like it weighs half as much as the KEP parts!
Attached Image

Looks pretty good in there.
Attached Image

Going to have to remake the exhaust cross over.
Attached Image

I have the parts and material to make a transmission mount similar to DBCoopers.
Can't wait to start making parts again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 9 2014, 09:27 PM
Post #423

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Enjoy, they grow up and leave the garage before you know it!
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 10 2014, 08:12 AM
Post #424

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Get a set of Ian's motor mounts while you're in there. You'll surely never run into the problem you had on the Power Tour again!
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 11 2014, 09:29 AM
Post #425

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 9 2014, 07:27 PM) *

Enjoy, they grow up and leave the garage before you know it!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
It stuck around in the garage a bit too long the first time, it is getting booted in spring this time.

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 10 2014, 06:12 AM) *

Get a set of Ian's motor mounts while you're in there. You'll surely never run into the problem you had on the Power Tour again!

I was trying to buy the transmission mounts from Ian but I don't think that he is up and running again quite yet.

Eventually I will make a cradle to move the engine/trans back to align the axles better using a hybrid of the back of DBCoopers mount tied in to the trailing arm ears like Ruby914's mount.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Making the transmission side mount now will save a step when I make the new cradle down the road some time.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 12 2014, 03:21 PM
Post #426

That's opposite lock!!

I think that I just stepped on a mid-mue slope...not supper slippery but slick enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolling.gif)

I have been agonizing over what to do about the CV's. I eventually want to run 108mm CV's but that requires a 5 lug setup, which I really do not want to do now. I can run stock 914's with Ian's conversion axles and then jump to 944's when I do the 5 lug...but then I am stuck with the smaller CV's unless I want to change axles again.

So...I just happen to have a '83 SC Boge front suspension...complete. I did some looking and it seems like the 914 strut inserts will fit the 911 Boge's and the ball joints seem like they should be the same also. Can I really just pop the current struts off of the ball joints, swap the inserts into the SC struts and bolt them back onto the ball joints?

Assuming this is the case, anybody have an 23.3 ET 7x15 phone dial or two laying round that they want to get rid of. I have a set of three, but one is marked as being repaired.

Then I can use my "new" tires (well, at least three of them, one is already on the wear bar for some strange reason (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)) and get this done reasonably inexpensively.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 13 2014, 08:21 AM
Post #427

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 12 2014, 01:21 PM) *

I think that I just stepped on a mid-mue slope...not supper slippery but slick enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolling.gif)

Ha ha ha, you are SO screwed! Grin and bear it, though, when you're through it it will all be done and good.

Can I really just pop the current struts off of the ball joints, swap the inserts into the SC struts and bolt them back onto the ball joints?

Yes you can. I think mine's an 87 so a little different and I think we used the 911 inserts and ball joints, but that's how it's done.

Have fun.

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 13 2014, 08:27 AM
Post #428

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 12 2014, 04:21 PM) *

I have been agonizing over what to do about the CV's. I eventually want to run 108mm CV's but that requires a 5 lug setup, which I really do not want to do now. I can run stock 914's with Ian's conversion axles and then jump to 944's when I do the 5 lug...but then I am stuck with the smaller CV's unless I want to change axles again.

So...I just happen to have a '83 SC Boge front suspension...complete. I did some looking and it seems like the 914 strut inserts will fit the 911 Boge's and the ball joints seem like they should be the same also. Can I really just pop the current struts off of the ball joints, swap the inserts into the SC struts and bolt them back onto the ball joints?

Assuming this is the case, anybody have an 23.3 ET 7x15 phone dial or two laying round that they want to get rid of. I have a set of three, but one is marked as being repaired.

Then I can use my "new" tires (well, at least three of them, one is already on the wear bar for some strange reason (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)) and get this done reasonably inexpensively.

Cheers,
Scott

Take a picture of the back of the wheel.
Oddly, I might have one...but I am not very smart about all the right numbers, so post a pic, and I will too.

Rich
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 13 2014, 09:46 AM
Post #429

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 13 2014, 06:27 AM) *

Take a picture of the back of the wheel.
Oddly, I might have one...but I am not very smart about all the right numbers, so post a pic, and I will too.

Rich

The back of one of the spokes will say "7x15 ET23.3"
I tried to take a picture but they are too dirty to show the numbers clearly.

Thanks,
Scott
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 13 2014, 10:05 AM
Post #430

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I think I have a pair of them. I will need to check the condition. In total I have at least 10 phone dials in various sizes.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 14 2014, 11:39 AM
Post #431

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 13 2014, 08:05 AM) *

I think I have a pair of them. I will need to check the condition. In total I have at least 10 phone dials in various sizes.

They don't have to be pretty, just straight w/o too much curb rash. I have to strip the ones I have and will probably repaint some non stock color.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 28 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #432

That's opposite lock!!

I finally received my cable shift setup from Ian! Also started mocking up the transmission mount. Should have it mostly made tomorrow.

Attached Image

I picked up a pair of 108mm CV stubs and a boxster hub. The base of the hub centric ring has a raised edge that interferes with the phone dials. Should be easy to turn down on a lathe...good incentive to get mine up an running finally. This is not correct...the wheel fits fine with a brake rotor in place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

I started pulling apart my SC front struts. I picked up one of Doug's strut wrenches and even using it the nut does not want to budge. Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 28 2014, 11:08 PM
Post #433

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 28 2014, 10:25 PM) *

I finally received my cable shift setup from Ian! Also started mocking up the transmission mount. Should have it mostly made tomorrow.

Attached Image

I picked up a pair of 108mm CV stubs and a boxster hub. The base of the hub centric ring has a raised edge that interferes with the phone dials. Should be easy to turn down on a lathe...good incentive to get mine up an running finally.

Attached Image

I started pulling apart my SC front struts. I picked up one of Doug's strut wrenches and even using it the nut does not want to budge. Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Scott

A two or three foot pipe wrench does the trick.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Dec 29 2014, 01:00 PM
Post #434

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looking good man!
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Dec 29 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #435

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 28 2014, 09:08 PM) *

A two or three foot pipe wrench does the trick.

Only took a foot long cheater! It was nice to know that I could lean on it a bit, Thanks!

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 29 2014, 11:00 AM) *

Looking good man!

Thanks, it is starting to look like your car, only a heck of a lot less shiny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It was great to spend a few hours fabricating today, even got to use my huge new (to Me) anvil to tweak the ears of the stock suby mount into place.

Attached Image

A quick trip through the sandblaster and it will be ready to weld. I was planning to use the MIG but the gaps are tight enough to TIG.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 3 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #436

That's opposite lock!!

I finally got the transmission side mount cleaned and tacked. The remaining rubber on the half of the mount would not come off. I eventually used a wire brush on my plug in grinder, sandblasted it, more wire brushing, and then more sandblasting.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Now to make the body side part of the mount.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 18 2015, 08:07 AM
Post #437

That's opposite lock!!

It was a beautiful winter day in Ohio (above 40F) so I took the opportunity to work in the garage.

Welded up the transmission mount.

Attached Image

Attached Image

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I jumped over to the other project. Cut the roof off and drove it around at Thanksgiving.

Attached Image

Today I remove the doors, seat, fuel tank and other random stuff from the interior. And started cutting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Attached Image

Ready for stage 3, 12 inches out of the center of the frame!

Attached Image

Mmmm, perty:

Attached Image

Attached Image

I finally found a set of '04 STI DOJ's for the drive-shafts. Lined up with 108mm cv's, stubs and Boxster Hubs. Should be as strong as I can get with OEM parts.

Attached Image

Good day of work!

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
914GTSTI
post Jan 18 2015, 10:07 PM
Post #438

Member No.: 8,123

Scott, what in-car shifter did you use ? And what car are the 108's stubs from ? I'm not a Porsche guy I just play one in my Garage.

In 2007 I found you build and some where along the way I got stopped. Now I'm back on it and may even go with the Subaru 5 speed.

Randy
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 19 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #439

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Jan 18 2015, 08:07 PM) *

Scott, what in-car shifter did you use ? And what car are the 108's stubs from ? I'm not a Porsche guy I just play one in my Garage.

In 2007 I found you build and some where along the way I got stopped. Now I'm back on it and may even go with the Subaru 5 speed.

Randy

And I though that my project had been stalled... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Get back at it.

I have an MR2 shifter. It is not great and will be modified substantially before it gets installed. The only other shifter with the correct stick to cable motion that I know of is the Lotus cable shifter (barrym is using one for his build).

The stubs came off of a pile of used axles that I found, not sure which actual vehicle they are from. I have an extra pair that I may sell once I confirm that they really do work with the Boxster hubs.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Feb 1 2015, 12:58 PM
Post #440

That's opposite lock!!

Oh almighty supreme being of all things mechanical, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

My name is Scott and I have a problem. It has been about 2 hours since my last transmission purchase.

I was shopping for a busted early 2000's suby trans to scavange the VSS assembly from. This what I found:
Attached Image

US Impreza 2.5RS MY99-01 TY754VCAAB

Seems to be in really good condition, was apparently removed from the car to do a STI swap. If anybody in the area is looking for one let me know, I will let it go very cheap once I get the VSS parts removed. 914forme...you know you want to replace the old one you have, all it will cost is your set of tube beaders (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)

On the topic of old 5mt's I would like to share a link to a good overview of the differences between the different generations of Suby 5mt's.

THE-Transmission-Thread-2.0

Apparently the internal oiling of the early transmissions requires the oil slinging off of the center diff to work properly. It is not recommended to use that style in 2wd configuration.

On another note, my OBX lsd arrived (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
Attached Image

I have the upgraded washer and bolt kit to install.

I have hit a small snag in my transmission mount creation. While checking that everything is centered and level I found that the engine is 1.5 deg off. Lots of measurements later and found that the cross bar is aligned with the body but the engine is not in line with the cross bar. Looks like the engine mount was bent somewhere along the way, probably when I had the mounts pull though. Not a big deal to fix but I have to pull the pan and some plumbing to get the mount off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:03 AM